Do you even circus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
RE: Do you even circus?
(01-08-2013 03:26 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Don't get me started on places like sea world. Sad

I live in the whale section. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 07:01 PM
(01-08-2013 04:27 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 03:04 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Nah. S'just that a working animal needs to be working to be happy and healthy. And there were no working animals before humans made them to work with. That much is pretty straightforward.

I have no particular feelings about horse racing; mistreatment is obviously bad.

Cetacean captivity is extremely distasteful.

This.

...and I'm attempting to add the point that without a human benefit to captivity, wether that be companionship, aid in hunting or herding, racing, riot cavalry, display in a tank, food, w/e those animals would likely not even exist...so as long as they are treated with respect it's fine by me. Modern livestock would do terrible in the wild, domestic turkeys would probably be extinct in a generation or two. But that doesn't mean I condone fitting them with gastric access points or raising them in piles of their own filth, for a plethora of reasons including but not limited to the welfare of the animal itself.

When you are dealing with something like a whale or dolphin that is caught in the wild and not domestically bred it's a pretty shitty practice...and yeah the guy who made 'Blackfish' was on Bill Maher the other day.

Agree completely.
01-08-2013, 07:22 PM
(01-08-2013 02:48 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  *rolls eyes* yup I obviously meant to just release all the horses to the wild with my comment.

What I am saying and will continue to say is there are far too many reported cases of terrible abuse and drugs for me to be comfortable in supporting the sport. It doesn't make one bit of difference to me that 3 people say "its not so bad"

No one is saying you have to agree with me.

And yes....seaworld is awful too. Would never go there. Did you hear about what happened there recently?

I was about to post a youtube vid on the trainer being killed, but it's a Fox News clip Dodgy Didn't want to dirty up the place.

01-08-2013, 07:33 PM
(31-07-2013 12:33 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 12:16 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  If that is true of Christians, then we have an issue. But at least admit that the Bible condemns acts of cruelty to animals. I think you all know the Jewish traditions regarding the preparation of animals for food and so on as well.

Or if YOU don't care what Proverbs says, are you for animal cruelty?

It also advocates blood sacrifice of animals, and claims that human beings have innate dominion over all other life. So there's that.

And then there's all the slaughtering of the conquered people's animals.
I guess they were enemies, too.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2013, 07:44 PM
(01-08-2013 07:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  And then there's all the slaughtering of the conquered people's animals.
You're taking it out of context.
[+] 1 user Likes Hitched_Gibson's post
01-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Fuck, no. Although when I was a kid, one time I helped set up tents and got to hang out with the elephant all day. That was alright.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
02-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Quote:And then there's all the slaughtering of the conquered people's animals.

There were sacrifices, and there were animals captured for livestock. The pagan cultures sacrificed humans and drank human and animal blood. The animal (and plant and bread) sacrifices and rituals of the Israelites foreshadowed Christ.

So yes, out of context. "Out of context" means nothing until, like with this post, we add the accurate context.

Thank you.
02-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Quote:Okay then. Benign is a moral judgement, and thus disputable. But that isn't the question. Why should humans rule at all? "Because pigs can't" is frankly idiotic. But at least amusing.

Yes, if you're a naturalist. My point exactly. Here's the Bible by contrast. As a naturalist, perhaps you should get out of the way of the other species and let them rule. Have you seen Star Trek IV? Peace and long life...
02-08-2013, 04:16 PM
(02-08-2013 02:42 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  The pagan cultures sacrificed humans and drank human and animal blood. The animal (and plant and bread) sacrifices and rituals of the Israelites foreshadowed Christ.
Thank you.

Ok. Now I see how it makes it better. Just kidding.

Do you realize how you demonized human sacrifice, and then glorify it when speaking of Jesus?
02-08-2013, 04:39 PM
(02-08-2013 02:44 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Okay then. Benign is a moral judgement, and thus disputable. But that isn't the question. Why should humans rule at all? "Because pigs can't" is frankly idiotic. But at least amusing.

Yes, if you're a naturalist. My point exactly. Here's the Bible by contrast. As a naturalist, perhaps you should get out of the way of the other species and let them rule. Have you seen Star Trek IV? Peace and long life...

Maybe as a theist you should hasten your meeting with Jesus. Self-sacrifice would be good for you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]