Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"
I feel "unsettled" lately as to my "beliefs." I'm forever done with Christianity, but I just feel...unsettled lately. Do any of you ever feel this way? Do you ever doubt?

I'm hopeful that this thread will be a friendly exchange of thoughts.
I feel this is a safe place to discuss all this.

Thanks for any input you wish to offer. Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
24-09-2014, 11:05 AM
RE: Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"
Sometimes I do. I don't doubt that ALL religions are basically bullshit...

But I do sometimes wonder if there isn't "out there"

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-09-2014, 11:06 AM
I don't think one can doubt their disbelief. It's kind of like doubting your disbelief to Santa.

It's not exactly doubt that I feel sometimes, but more like a tendency to deism, which I quickly dismiss. Sometimes I can't help but wonder, how can all this be without any purpose? But it's just my human weakness talking Tongue

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 8 users Like undergroundp's post
24-09-2014, 11:06 AM
(24-09-2014 10:54 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I feel "unsettled" lately as to my "beliefs." I'm forever done with Christianity, but I just feel...unsettled lately. Do any of you ever feel this way? Do you ever doubt?

Do you feel "there must be something more"?

Do you feel "there must be a purpose"?

Do you feel fear that this is all there is, this one life?

Have you stared into the abyss?

Abyss: There is no purpose for the universe to exist, there is no purpose for life to exist, there is no purpose for you to exist. Each of us has to make his or her own purpose.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 11 users Like Chas's post
24-09-2014, 11:10 AM
I think a healthy skepticism is maintained by continual learning, an argument that you find persuasive a few years ago may not seem as compelling today. Your beliefs, or the reasoning behind your beliefs, can change over time.
When I first identified as an atheist, I found that the realization of the failure of prayer was the most compelling argument against the existence of god. Now I find knowledge of the authorship of the Bible more compelling evidence that the whole enterprise was made up by those with a very flawed world view trying to control people that was only relevant over two thousand years ago.

There are times when life doesn't go the way you want it to, that it is compelling to think a higher power is in charge and can help, but I know that I owe it to myself to be honest and not delude myself with the pretty lies I was told in my childhood.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 11 users Like TheInquisition's post
24-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Is there something troubling you, in a different area of your life? It might have you doubting other big decisions you made recently.

Sometimes when I get worried about my children, their education for instance, I start doubting if we should have moved to this house, or if we should be relocating to another part of the country, or maybe we should have stayed where we were 10 years ago. Should I have taken them out of private school, should I have moved them to public. Maybe we shouldn't have sold the lake house, maybe my kids are really missing out because they don't have any aunts, uncles, cousins, grand parents around, and then it spirals to all sorts of parenting issues and whether not I've made the right choices along the way. So looking from the outside- I have parenting stress, but really I'm worried if my kid is going to score high enough on the MAP test to bump her into a higher class level next week.

The test next week has me doubting all sorts of choices I've made, especially the recent ones.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 5 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
24-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Once in a while I do wonder if the one true Aten should be "the one".
Then I think "nah".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Do I ever doubt my belief? What belief? I never had any belief to doubt.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
24-09-2014, 01:00 PM
I doubted in the past - spent some time wandering in the wilderness, then realised that all those religious fuckers could get bent, and here I am Smile

Sorry not the most helpful answer Smartass

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
24-09-2014, 01:04 PM
(24-09-2014 10:54 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I feel "unsettled" lately as to my "beliefs." I'm forever done with Christianity, but I just feel...unsettled lately. Do any of you ever feel this way? Do you ever doubt?

Nope, the more I read, the more I introspectively analyze, the more I educate myself on the foundation and fabrication of religion and especially the Abrahamic myths, the more solidified my non belief becomes. That wiggle in your gut is our fears and doubts about things we can't put our finger on, our inner sense of awe, and wish to believe in something, anything bigger than us, our insistent need to be reassured our life has meaning outside of our short run through this world...I find peace in knowledge, and love in my relationships, to spend ones life focused on the afterlife is a waste of one's life...in my humble opinion.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 12 users Like goodwithoutgod's post