Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2014, 01:42 PM
RE: Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"
I don't ever see a problem with asking yourself "What if I am wrong?" or "Is there something I've overlooked?".

The god concept is an easy answer so I understand how appealing it can be. On the very rare occasion I find myself thinking along those lines I step back and consider how huge the universe we know is and how much of it is totally inhospitable. I realize that if there really is something "out there" then it doesn't give a damn about the earth or humans and, given that everything we see is apparently governed by consistent laws, does not and will not affect us in any meaningful way. That means that even if by some extreme remote chance there is a deistic god it is utterly irrelevant and the difference between that and not existing is also irrelevant.

That, and the complete and total lack of evidence despite thousands of years of questioning, leaves me pretty confident that there is no god.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
24-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Only in the sense that I don't know what I don't know.

Or do I?

Consider

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
24-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Personally i've never "doubted" my atheism. But i don't think there is anything bad about re-evaluating what you find to be true.

In my case, I'm a life-long gamer, I've been playing rpgs since before age 5 and as such i've always had a strong understanding of fantasy vs reality. Doubting atheism, to me, would be considering fantasy and magic as possibly being reality. Which to me immediately makes no sense. Fantasy is fantasy. I've yet to find a reason to consider magic based fantasy as a possible reality.

It sure would be cool though, and would definitely make a good story. Oh wait...

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
24-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Doubt is the new black Yes

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
24-09-2014, 02:51 PM
There's no going back for me. Tree of knowledge...

It still saddens me. Christianity is ingrained in my culture, my family, my friendships. It's very isolating. Would it really matter if I'd never deconverted? I dunno. I'm feeling a bit nihilistic today.

This song is a good representation of what I'm going through

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
24-09-2014, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2014 03:13 PM by Full Circle.)
I haven't yet but sometimes I think about what I might telepathically convey after my corporal death to the deity that some say exists in my post-mortem identity and I think it would be this:

"Why you are real afterall you cryptic fuck! Good one asshole! You could've saved all of us a lot of heartaches don't you think?"

I figure that if it is an omni-being it'll give me a pass.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
24-09-2014, 03:05 PM
(24-09-2014 10:54 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I feel "unsettled" lately as to my "beliefs." I'm forever done with Christianity, but I just feel...unsettled lately. Do any of you ever feel this way? Do you ever doubt?

I'm hopeful that this thread will be a friendly exchange of thoughts.
I feel this is a safe place to discuss all this.

Thanks for any input you wish to offer. Heart

I doubt myself (and by extension my principles and ideas) all the time. I also have experienced similar feelings of unease. However after careful analysis i have determined that the unease can still be traced back to my slightly religious upbringing. What helps me deal with the unease are the humanist values i embrace and my staunch principle that the truth, no matter how inconvenient or offensive, is still ultimately better than delusion.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
[+] 6 users Like ivaneus's post
24-09-2014, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2014 03:36 PM by kim.)
I wasn't raised in any belief and unlike a few here, I never acquired any.
At times I've had the feeling I might be missing something, so I've explored many beliefs. So far, I've found all of them to be so much less than anything I could imagine. I suppose I will always continue to enjoy my exploration of the subject of belief even though, I realize I'm not missing anything. Am I certain about this; what if I am missing something? Indeed, it might be nice to suddenly be enveloped in an all encompassing belief but ... it hasn't happened. I'm not going to sweat it.

I like to read about Egypt, ancient Egyptians, the pyramids Egyptian archeology; essentially, I am enamored with all things Egyptian. I would love to go to Egypt and experience the pyramids one day before my life is over. Do I know with any certainty that if I never make it to Egypt, I really won't be missing anything? No. I have realized the most important part of my captivation ... my "obsession" is my own enjoyment of the love I have for this subject... this is what's important about it: for me to be happy. It tickles me shitless. I may strive to go to Egypt and if I make it to the pyramids: Hooray! If not; no big shit.

Also... one never knows about unknown things; our wildest dreams could, in reality be huge disappointments. Such a realization does not mean the wildest dream is not worth striving for ... it simply means that life is but a dream, sweet heart. Wink

In the grand scheme of my life ... I'm here right now... I don't worry about what isn't. Drinking Beverage Row, row, row your boat ...

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
24-09-2014, 04:21 PM
(24-09-2014 11:12 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Is there something troubling you, in a different area of your life? It might have you doubting other big decisions you made recently.

Sometimes when I get worried about my children, their education for instance, I start doubting if we should have moved to this house, or if we should be relocating to another part of the country, or maybe we should have stayed where we were 10 years ago. Should I have taken them out of private school, should I have moved them to public. Maybe we shouldn't have sold the lake house, maybe my kids are really missing out because they don't have any aunts, uncles, cousins, grand parents around, and then it spirals to all sorts of parenting issues and whether not I've made the right choices along the way. So looking from the outside- I have parenting stress, but really I'm worried if my kid is going to score high enough on the MAP test to bump her into a higher class level next week.

The test next week has me doubting all sorts of choices I've made, especially the recent ones.

First, thank you to everyone who responded; you guys make me feel safe with my feelings here, so thank you. Like, no judgment--that means a lot.

Your post bows and arrows, jumped out at me, because yes, I've been under a lot of stress with my job, as of late. And when I'm under stress, I tend to remember 'reaching' for prayer. (just being honest)

Looking back at my prayer life, and religion in general, I consciously know that it's all nonsense. But, it was the FEELING I had, when I prayed, that I remember. I've had to learn new ways of dealing with everyday stress, or losses, or deaths of loved ones, in a different way...because prayer is no longer an option. But, at the same time, while I no longer miss religion, and most of all Christianity, there's this feeling of...emptiness lately. No guy/relationship fills it. My career doesn't fill it. I have amazing friends, and they don't fill it. I have accomplished a lot, and those accomplishments don't fill it. Nothing fills this strange void I've been feeling. Sad

I look at my life, and it's great, not perfect, but a good life. So many things to be thankful for, but I remember how prayer made me...feel. It made me feel like I didn't need to face my problems. ''Something else'' would face them for me.

That is the Christian life, that is how you're indoctrinated. So many people think that religious people are void of reason, but the truth is...what keeps people locked in staying believers, are two things...fear and comfort. I miss the comfort I got from religion.

There, I've said it. Thanks bows and arrows for bringing that up, because that very well could be a large part of why I'm ...feeling unsettled. On a logical level, I know religion is nonsense, but I miss its comfort.

It's amazing what we can talk ourselves into...especially if we've been indoctrinated as kids.

I don't know if anyone can relate to this. Confused

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 5 users Like Deidre32's post
24-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Doubt everything. Trust no one.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post