Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2014, 04:24 PM
RE: Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"
And I can't help but wonder, if this 'void' that I feel right now, wouldn't be present at all...if my upbringing never consisted of religion. Because there simply wouldn't be anything to miss. That's the thing I'll never know for sure.

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
24-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Can't say that I do, due to my definition of "god".

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
24-09-2014, 04:34 PM
I've just read everyone's replies. Ugh, thank you. I'm relieved that I posted this here. Like, you understand me.
I'm grateful. I have atheist friends who'll listen, but most have never deconverted, they were simply never introduced to religion. My Christian friends want me to 'return'...lol So, coming here is a quasi-refuge. Heart

[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
24-09-2014, 04:34 PM
(24-09-2014 04:24 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  And I can't help but wonder, if this 'void' that I feel right now, wouldn't be present at all...if my upbringing never consisted of religion. Because there simply wouldn't be anything to miss. That's the thing I'll never know for sure.

You're just not used to loving yourself, yet. You'll get the hang of it. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
24-09-2014, 04:37 PM
(24-09-2014 10:54 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I feel "unsettled" lately as to my "beliefs." I'm forever done with Christianity, but I just feel...unsettled lately. Do any of you ever feel this way? Do you ever doubt?

I'm hopeful that this thread will be a friendly exchange of thoughts.
I feel this is a safe place to discuss all this.

Thanks for any input you wish to offer. Heart

I once posed a similar question on a forum not too far from here and a girl gave this answer that I thought was eloquent and inspiring. She said, "Atheism is more to me personally, than mere disbelief in a deity, etc. It is an opportunity to live free of having to follow anything at all, except let the day take me where it will. Atheism represents freedom to me, not a response or reaction to religion. I know the actual definition, but that's just how I see it, now. It has helped me live my life in a more positive way, free of judgments towards others. If there exists a god, I'm open to the idea. But, I no longer feel the need to find out if there is one or not.

So, I don't doubt my atheism...but rather embrace it as something that's enriched my life in ways I hadn't imagined."

Hope that helps! Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Pickup_shonuff's post
24-09-2014, 04:41 PM
(24-09-2014 04:34 PM)kim Wrote:  
(24-09-2014 04:24 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  And I can't help but wonder, if this 'void' that I feel right now, wouldn't be present at all...if my upbringing never consisted of religion. Because there simply wouldn't be anything to miss. That's the thing I'll never know for sure.

You're just not used to loving yourself, yet. You'll get the hang of it. Shy

You could be right. (and learning to trust myself, my decisions, etc) I would trade places with you, if I could rewind the clock back and never had been introduced to any religion. (I think you are lucky in this regard, anyway. lol)

Again, logically, it's all senseless, but emotionally, it served a purpose for a long time in my life.

Thank you, kim. Hug

24-09-2014, 04:46 PM
(24-09-2014 04:37 PM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  
(24-09-2014 10:54 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I feel "unsettled" lately as to my "beliefs." I'm forever done with Christianity, but I just feel...unsettled lately. Do any of you ever feel this way? Do you ever doubt?

I'm hopeful that this thread will be a friendly exchange of thoughts.
I feel this is a safe place to discuss all this.

Thanks for any input you wish to offer. Heart

I once posed a similar question on a forum not too far from here and a girl gave this answer that I thought was eloquent and inspiring. She said, "Atheism is more to me personally, than mere disbelief in a deity, etc. It is an opportunity to live free of having to follow anything at all, except let the day take me where it will. Atheism represents freedom to me, not a response or reaction to religion. I know the actual definition, but that's just how I see it, now. It has helped me live my life in a more positive way, free of judgments towards others. If there exists a god, I'm open to the idea. But, I no longer feel the need to find out if there is one or not.

So, I don't doubt my atheism...but rather embrace it as something that's enriched my life in ways I hadn't imagined."

Hope that helps! Wink

oh you! (you're gonna make me cry) lol

Yes! That most certainly helped. Hug

[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
24-09-2014, 04:51 PM

Religion is heavily programmed into you when you're young (unless you're lucky enough to be raised non-religiously). They do a pretty good job, and even after you realize it's all bullshit, it can be really hard to de-program. Don't give up!
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
24-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Pickup, I'm definitely crying. That was beautifully said. Thank you.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
24-09-2014, 05:05 PM
When I decided that the Catholic Church wasn't something I wanted to be a part of I did a lot of searching. (Actually before and after.) I thought I 'had' to believe in something religious or spiritual. I checked out reincarnation, occult stuff, New Agey things, but really was done with the Chrisitan thing.

Eventually I realized that I don't have to follow a religious - type belief system.

If I had to choose I would lean more toward reincarnation. I prefer the idea of having another chance or chances and different experiences to playing the harp on a a cloud and talking to dead people all day.

I gave it up after much thought and research so I am confident in my lack of belief.

Now if Jesus Christ shows up and walks across my swimming pool I may have to rethink things. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post