Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2014, 05:13 PM
RE: Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"
(24-09-2014 11:05 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Sometimes I do. I don't doubt that ALL religions are basically bullshit...

But I do sometimes wonder if there isn't "out there"
I agree with you moms, about all religions. I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling these things.

(24-09-2014 11:06 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I don't think one can doubt their disbelief. It's kind of like doubting your disbelief to Santa.

It's not exactly doubt that I feel sometimes, but more like a tendency to deism, which I quickly dismiss. Sometimes I can't help but wonder, how can all this be without any purpose? But it's just my human weakness talking Tongue
Oh, it's nice seeing you. I haven't seen you in a while here. I appreciate your thoughts.

(24-09-2014 11:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-09-2014 10:54 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I feel "unsettled" lately as to my "beliefs." I'm forever done with Christianity, but I just feel...unsettled lately. Do any of you ever feel this way? Do you ever doubt?

I'm hopeful that this thread will be a friendly exchange of thoughts.
I feel this is a safe place to discuss all this.

Thanks for any input you wish to offer. Heart

Do you feel "there must be something more"?

Do you feel "there must be a purpose"?

Do you feel fear that this is all there is, this one life?

Have you stared into the abyss?

Abyss: There is no purpose for the universe to exist, there is no purpose for life to exist, there is no purpose for you to exist. Each of us has to make his or her own purpose.
not so much a purpose. but a longing for the 'feeling' I once had, when prayer was an escape from stress, etc. This sounds foolish as I type it out. lol

were you always an atheist chas? I'm just wondering.

(24-09-2014 11:10 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I think a healthy skepticism is maintained by continual learning, an argument that you find persuasive a few years ago may not seem as compelling today. Your beliefs, or the reasoning behind your beliefs, can change over time.
When I first identified as an atheist, I found that the realization of the failure of prayer was the most compelling argument against the existence of god. Now I find knowledge of the authorship of the Bible more compelling evidence that the whole enterprise was made up by those with a very flawed world view trying to control people that was only relevant over two thousand years ago.

There are times when life doesn't go the way you want it to, that it is compelling to think a higher power is in charge and can help, but I know that I owe it to myself to be honest and not delude myself with the pretty lies I was told in my childhood.
oh, you were raised in religion too? Thank you for your input. Hug You make a lot of sense here.

(24-09-2014 01:04 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(24-09-2014 10:54 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I feel "unsettled" lately as to my "beliefs." I'm forever done with Christianity, but I just feel...unsettled lately. Do any of you ever feel this way? Do you ever doubt?

I'm hopeful that this thread will be a friendly exchange of thoughts.
I feel this is a safe place to discuss all this.

Thanks for any input you wish to offer. Heart

Nope, the more I read, the more I introspectively analyze, the more I educate myself on the foundation and fabrication of religion and especially the Abrahamic myths, the more solidified my non belief becomes. That wiggle in your gut is our fears and doubts about things we can't put our finger on, our inner sense of awe, and wish to believe in something, anything bigger than us, our insistent need to be reassured our life has meaning outside of our short run through this world...I find peace in knowledge, and love in my relationships, to spend ones life focused on the afterlife is a waste of one's life...in my humble opinion.
I really liked this post. I often think this, it's the main reason I started identifying myself as an atheist. Thank you ...

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
24-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Well, Since I only completely doubt Personal deities or ones whom other religions have established with its own mythos and I am completely impartial Agnostic about the possibilities of any other type of beings, be it one or many (most likely many), then No, I have never really doubted my unbelief.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
24-09-2014, 05:21 PM
(24-09-2014 05:13 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  not so much a purpose. but a longing for the 'feeling' I once had, when prayer was an escape from stress, etc. This sounds foolish as I type it out. lol

were you always an atheist chas? I'm just wondering.

Well, I usually answer yes to that question. I was never a believer.

When I was 8 or 9, I was listening to the Sunday School teacher telling some Bible tale and thinking "Does he actually believe that? It's ridiculous."
I realized years later that I had actually been embarrassed for him.

There was a period when I wondered about it, but I got over it. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
24-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Occasionally but never for very long. Questioning one's position is no bad thing anyway.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
24-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Hmm this is a great question Smile it isn't always an easy road when you've deconverted, but I don't think I've ever doubted it. I think it is sometimes human nature to wonder or even hope that something else is out there.
24-09-2014, 05:49 PM
(24-09-2014 05:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Now if Jesus Christ shows up and walks across my swimming pool I may have to rethink things. Tongue

Damn it! Now I've got Herod's song from Jesus Christ Superstar stuck in my head!
Censored

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
24-09-2014, 08:31 PM

I did a lot once I pretty much knew I didn't believe in God. I couldn't shake the notion that I might be wrong and might be failing some test, or something.

After a few months of that, I realized that I'd never once spent any time worrying about not adhering to Islam or Pastafarianism, yet I was still fretting over Christianity. I realized I only cared about that one religion because it was what I was taught as a kid. I recognized the other religions as pointless to worry about, so why all this concern over one religion I no longer believed?

Once I realized that, the doubts went away and haven't been back for the last three or so years.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
24-09-2014, 09:25 PM
When you move, are you leaving an old house you've outgrown, or moving into a new house that's more attractive? They are not the same thing.

If the former, there's no going back. You left because staying was pointless, even inhibiting. You may trip over unexpected ripples of nostalgia for the old place, but any serious thought of return is instantly accompanied by all the reasons you left.

If the latter, then there's a chance you could return. The new place will soon betray its disappointments, and if too many, the old place might start to look pretty good.

So I think an important question for yourself is: did you leave the church, or did you enter the halls of atheism?

I will say that my observation is that the halls of atheism are profoundly more attractive than anything a church ever offered, so that those who didn't leave the church so much as crossed atheism's threshold rarely get homesick.

I hope you find where your mind keeps leading you comfortable, and that you get comfortable with letting your own mind do the leading.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
24-09-2014, 09:40 PM
(24-09-2014 05:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When I decided that the Catholic Church wasn't something I wanted to be a part of I did a lot of searching. (Actually before and after.) I thought I 'had' to believe in something religious or spiritual. I checked out reincarnation, occult stuff, New Agey things, but really was done with the Chrisitan thing.

Eventually I realized that I don't have to follow a religious - type belief system.

If I had to choose I would lean more toward reincarnation. I prefer the idea of having another chance or chances and different experiences to playing the harp on a a cloud and talking to dead people all day.

I gave it up after much thought and research so I am confident in my lack of belief.

Now if Jesus Christ shows up and walks across my swimming pool I may have to rethink things. Tongue
haha, I just saw this. Yes, it would be quite compelling! Laugh out load

I appreciate everyone's feedback, it's great to have such a supportive community as this.
Hug
Thank you...I'll figure it out soon enough.

I think opening up here helped a lot, today. Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
24-09-2014, 11:39 PM
I'm glad a community like this exists for people who need understanding and constructive conversation on these issues.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post