Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2014, 03:17 AM
RE: Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"
People should, every so often, examine what they believe and why they believe it. In the case of my atheism, it's a fairly quick checkmark .

Any evidence for the existence of a god, any god ?
Nope

Done.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2014, 03:33 AM
Only when tripping on LSD. Drinking Beverage

True story.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-09-2014, 03:53 AM
(24-09-2014 10:54 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I feel "unsettled" lately as to my "beliefs." I'm forever done with Christianity, but I just feel...unsettled lately. Do any of you ever feel this way? Do you ever doubt?

I'm hopeful that this thread will be a friendly exchange of thoughts.
I feel this is a safe place to discuss all this.

Thanks for any input you wish to offer. Heart

I have, on multiple occasions felt uncomfortable with my conclusions:
The thought creeps into the back of my mind and resonates; "Well, how do you know?". I feel ill at ease slightly and irrationally nervous.
Then, I consider; it's a good question. How do I know? Can I trust my conclusions? I look over all my available evidence; Yes. For now, I can trust them; a god may exist, but the likelihood that it is known to humanity is far too low to consider any religion, and there is no reason for me to assume it does indeed exist at all until solid evidence is presented.

The way I see it, my getting occasional bouts of the above is something of a mental defence mechanism; just the ol' brain making sure that nothing has gone wrong in the conclusions department, if it keeps happening, it's good; just means I'm not getting so entrenched as to be inflexible.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
25-09-2014, 04:39 AM
I deconverted at age 10 - I don't ever have any doubts. Religion made no sense then and it makes no sense now.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
25-09-2014, 05:08 AM
I actually experienced A LOT of doubt when I was a believer, but that's probably because the Baptist church does a good job of keeping people scared. I prayed for salvation at least twice (just to be sure) and was constantly worried that maybe I wasn't a real Christian. Was I too complacent? Was I not "on fire for God?" Was I living outside His will? Was I one of those people who thought they were a Christian but would get to heaven only to be told "Depart from me, I never knew you" and then be cast into Hell?

Compared to that, no, I don't doubt my unbelief.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
25-09-2014, 02:44 PM
(25-09-2014 05:08 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I actually experienced A LOT of doubt when I was a believer, but that's probably because the Baptist church does a good job of keeping people scared. I prayed for salvation at least twice (just to be sure) and was constantly worried that maybe I wasn't a real Christian. Was I too complacent? Was I not "on fire for God?" Was I living outside His will? Was I one of those people who thought they were a Christian but would get to heaven only to be told "Depart from me, I never knew you" and then be cast into Hell?

I know what you're talking about, that feeling of uncertainty as a believer. I had such clarity identifying now as an atheist, until lately. The past month ...something like that. I remember as a believer feeling spiritually "dry" as it's often referred to, so...when an atheist feels blah, is there a term for it? Lol

Just wish I could gain that clarity back.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
25-09-2014, 02:46 PM
(25-09-2014 04:39 AM)Dom Wrote:  I deconverted at age 10 - I don't ever have any doubts. Religion made no sense then and it makes no sense now.

Wow, to be is sure so young! I'm envious.
Heart

25-09-2014, 02:55 PM
(25-09-2014 02:44 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  when an atheist feels blah, is there a term for it? Lol
There is. It's called "I'm feeling blah"...

Quote:Just wish I could gain that clarity back.
Can be found at the bottom of wine bottles Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
25-09-2014, 03:36 PM
(25-09-2014 02:44 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(25-09-2014 05:08 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I actually experienced A LOT of doubt when I was a believer, but that's probably because the Baptist church does a good job of keeping people scared. I prayed for salvation at least twice (just to be sure) and was constantly worried that maybe I wasn't a real Christian. Was I too complacent? Was I not "on fire for God?" Was I living outside His will? Was I one of those people who thought they were a Christian but would get to heaven only to be told "Depart from me, I never knew you" and then be cast into Hell?

I know what you're talking about, that feeling of uncertainty as a believer. I had such clarity identifying now as an atheist, until lately. The past month ...something like that. I remember as a believer feeling spiritually "dry" as it's often referred to, so...when an atheist feels blah, is there a term for it? Lol

But the delusion of religion was merely the illusion of clarity. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
25-09-2014, 03:54 PM
(25-09-2014 02:55 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-09-2014 02:44 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  when an atheist feels blah, is there a term for it? Lol
There is. It's called "I'm feeling blah"...

Quote:Just wish I could gain that clarity back.
Can be found at the bottom of wine bottles Tongue
Laugh out load true! haha

(25-09-2014 03:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-09-2014 02:44 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I know what you're talking about, that feeling of uncertainty as a believer. I had such clarity identifying now as an atheist, until lately. The past month ...something like that. I remember as a believer feeling spiritually "dry" as it's often referred to, so...when an atheist feels blah, is there a term for it? Lol

But the delusion of religion was merely the illusion of clarity. Yes

have I told you lately that I like you? Big Grin
This could very well be. I had no idea deconverting, that the aftermath of such a thing, would ebb and flow as it has. Confused