Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2014, 04:06 PM
RE: Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"
(25-09-2014 02:46 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Wow, to be is sure so young! I'm envious.
Have you really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
25-09-2014, 04:29 PM
(25-09-2014 04:06 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(25-09-2014 02:46 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Wow, to be is sure so young! I'm envious.
Have you really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Laugh out load omg, I looked back at what I posted. hahaha

I meant...to be so sure, so young. lol!

it's been a long day Weeping

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
25-09-2014, 04:41 PM
(25-09-2014 03:54 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  ---
--I had no idea deconverting, that the aftermath of such a thing, would ebb and flow as it has. Confused

Many here have reported years before becoming able to say, "I am atheist." and many years after, becoming comfortable with it enough to let others know. Others report that once they admit it to themselves, things go pretty quickly though they still feel somewhat vulnerable. The flow seems to be as individual as the experience.

As far as feeling secure or insecure... something that appears to help is educating one's self. Many of the indoctrinated were home schooled and find themselves at a loss discussing or simply enjoying science, history, archeology or cosmology. Pushing to become at least interested in some of these topics can certainly clear the head and reality has a way of making fake stuff seem pretty small. Wink

Check out some of the videos in this thread starting with this one from Phil ... If nothing else... this thread will keep you busy. Wink

Heart

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
25-09-2014, 05:42 PM
While I don't like the way the question is phrased, I will answer what I believe the OP is asking.

Since my atheism is a natural outgrowth of my skepticism, it is not a dogmatic position, it is a provisional one.

Therefore, I am always open to be convinced that a god or gods do actually exist. That is why I enjoy getting into debates with theists. If they have compelling reasons to believe in a god or gods, I certainly want to know about it.

But I currently find no reasons to doubt my disbelief.

As Bertrand Russell said, "In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."
[+] 6 users Like Simon Moon's post
25-09-2014, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2014 06:53 PM by TheGulegon.)
I haven't doubted my religious beliefs since I shed them, but I hear ya on that 'feeling' of loss! For me it was the feeling of acceptance by a larger community than my family that I felt I'd 'lost'. I was never one to go to church much, but soon I found I had quite a few disagreements with these religious folks surrounding me! I could almost pretend like I believed in Santa (or whatever the fuck), just for that feeling of inclusion, if it weren't for all their other bullshit! Gays should be sent to re-education camps, women should shut the fuck up and pump out babies, & Obama should go back to Iranistan! Dodgy
One of the first Threads I started when I got here was something like "what could we replace church/religion with" specifically because I could never sit around and listen to the "well thank god for that", "oh praise jesus", and "he'll burn in hell"-'s without wanting to vomit on someone, and wanted another community to replace "church" with.

Prolly why I'm on here so much, nowadays Blush Wish I could replace my neighbors with TTA members!

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
25-09-2014, 06:29 PM
(24-09-2014 10:54 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I feel "unsettled" lately as to my "beliefs." I'm forever done with Christianity, but I just feel...unsettled lately. Do any of you ever feel this way? Do you ever doubt?

No. No doubts. I'm unconvinced by all the arguments for gods that I am aware of. Some seem mightily bizarre. Most boil down to, we don't know therefore it must have been god.

Why would a god be judging us? Judging us against what? We haven't been given a set of rules to follow. Are we to obey without question? Are we to believe without evidence?

I teach my kids to ask questions, to think things through. to make their own decisions. I want them to grow up to be independent, not obedient mini me(s).

I can see why many people leap into god belief, where did the universe come from? why does morality exist? how come the universe is so ordered and structured? How come it seems as if the universe was designed for life? How come life is so complex (DNA, epigenetics, the machinery of the cell)? Things appear to work together so well, it appears to be a well oiled, well thought out designed system.

But there is no need to jump to unsupported supernatural causes.
Existence is a fascinating thing and scientists are finding surprising discoveries all the time.

Just enjoy it all while you are here.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
25-09-2014, 06:56 PM
(24-09-2014 09:40 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(24-09-2014 05:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Now if Jesus Christ shows up and walks across my swimming pool I may have to rethink things. Tongue
haha, I just saw this. Yes, it would be quite compelling! Laugh out load

I wish I could take credit for that line. Alas, I cannot. So, in light of full disclosure and to keep Girly from kicking my butt for not grounding my references...enjoy - especially around 1:15. Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
25-09-2014, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2014 11:19 PM by rizzzzzzzzzzzz.)
I've been an atheist for almost two years now and all thanks to my law school. I first learned the true meaning of atheism there and ever since then I observed life as it is. I observed Islam as practised by my friends and others and I could not agree more with other atheists how ridiculous the religion is. 'What exactly is the right way of life? Does it mean human beings have to live like a slave w/o actually knowing it? Pray to Allah so that human beings would be enrich with goodness and that would be a ticket to Heaven?' I questioned and questioned until I found myself feeling alone in this world. No real friends who are at least agnostics. All pray/be thankful to Allah/God. I was really alone, until I found this forum. And now, I grow strong and I consider every atheist here as my family. I also observed Christianity and other religions and started reading about them. Eventually, they all come to me as a topic of culture education and I know from that moment, it doesn't matter if religion had play a part in one's life or not. What matters is humankind is progressing as we speak, and if religions cease to exist eventually, I personally am thankful they existed before.
As a young man who just entered his 20s, I would feel kinda a newbie as an atheist. But it won't stop me from furthering my knowledge about religions and science and humanities. I do no longer doubt my disbelief and I know one day I would play a huge part in society to encourage others to disbelieve. Sooner rather than later, I would come out in the open and do just that.

Sorry for this piece of shit story Tongue
[+] 5 users Like rizzzzzzzzzzzz's post
25-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Yeah but then I wake up and the zombies are gone and I'm like "Shit, back to the real world where all the fun things in life don't actually exist."

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
25-09-2014, 10:24 PM
(25-09-2014 09:13 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Yeah but then I wake up and the zombies are gone and I'm like "Shit, back to the real world where all the fun things in life don't actually exist."

Laugh out load

Be true to yourself. Heart