Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2014, 10:26 PM
RE: Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"
(25-09-2014 08:42 PM)rizzzzzzzzzzzz Wrote:  I've been an atheist for almost two years now and all thanks to my law school. I first learned the true meaning of atheism there and ever since then I observed life as it is. I observed Islam as practised by my friends and others and I could not agree more with other atheists how ridiculous the religion is. 'What exactly is the right way of life? Does it mean human beings have to live like a slave w/o actually knowing it? Pray to Allah so that human beings would be enrich with goodness and that would be a ticket to Heaven?' I questioned and questioned until I found myself feeling alone in this world. No real friends who are at least agnostics. All pray/be thankful to Allah/God. I was really alone, until I found this forum. And now, I grow strong and I consider every atheist here as my family. I also observed Christianity and other religions and started reading about them. Eventually, they all come to me as a topic of culture education and I know from that moment, it doesn't matter if religion had play a part in one's life or not. What matters is humankind is progressing as we speak, and if religions cease to exist eventually, I personally am thankful they existed before.
As a young man who just entered his 20s, I would feel kinda a newbie as an atheist. But it won't stop me from furthering my knowledge about religions and science and humanities. I do no longer doubt my disbelief and I know one day I would play a huge part in society to encourage to disbelieve. Sooner rather than later, I would come out in the open and do just day.

Sorry for this piece of shit story Tongue

I appreciate this reply. I don't believe that knowledge is the problem for me. It's that religion was always an 'emotional sell' for me, and when I'm feeling challenged in life, it is something that I felt comforted me. No matter how nonsensical I know it is on a logical level, comfort isn't about logic, really. If that makes sense.

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
25-09-2014, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2014 11:20 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"
I think I can relate to this. I'll give it a ramble. It's mind boggling and unsettling when you accept the harsh reality that you don't have answers to the mysteries of the universe. My hope is that whatever happens, I'd like to somehow know all the answers to the universe, otherwise what's the point of the mystery. I think that'd be cool. Idk. There may be a god, there may not be. No one REALLY knows but at least I know I'm not being taken for a fool.

PS I really like that freedom quote on page 2. Thumbs up to that shit Smile

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like smileXsmileXsmile's post
26-09-2014, 02:10 AM
(24-09-2014 04:34 PM)kim Wrote:  
(24-09-2014 04:24 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  And I can't help but wonder, if this 'void' that I feel right now, wouldn't be present at all...if my upbringing never consisted of religion. Because there simply wouldn't be anything to miss. That's the thing I'll never know for sure.

You're just not used to loving yourself, yet. You'll get the hang of it. Shy

Beautiful!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
26-09-2014, 02:21 AM
(24-09-2014 04:41 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(24-09-2014 04:34 PM)kim Wrote:  You're just not used to loving yourself, yet. You'll get the hang of it. Shy

You could be right. (and learning to trust myself, my decisions, etc) I would trade places with you, if I could rewind the clock back and never had been introduced to any religion. (I think you are lucky in this regard, anyway. lol)

Again, logically, it's all senseless, but emotionally, it served a purpose for a long time in my life.

Thank you, kim. Hug

"it served a purpose for a long time in my life."

Just like an ex smoker.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
26-09-2014, 02:51 AM
(24-09-2014 11:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-09-2014 10:54 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I feel "unsettled" lately as to my "beliefs." I'm forever done with Christianity, but I just feel...unsettled lately. Do any of you ever feel this way? Do you ever doubt?

I'm hopeful that this thread will be a friendly exchange of thoughts.
I feel this is a safe place to discuss all this.

Thanks for any input you wish to offer. Heart

Do you feel "there must be something more"?

Do you feel "there must be a purpose"?

Do you feel fear that this is all there is, this one life?

Have you stared into the abyss?

Abyss: There is no purpose for the universe to exist, there is no purpose for life to exist, there is no purpose for you to exist. Each of us has to make his or her own purpose.

This statement is so true. Our lives have so much to offer if we can just see what we have here in our own lives. We don't need there to be more, we are lucky in what we have now. This world, and this universe is spectacularly amazing; and I'm lucky enough to be here to see it. I don't understand the concept of "there must be more to the purpose of life." We are here because we are. Why does there have to be more to it? Enjoy as much of life as you can, you only get one. That's why as an atheist I have an irrational fear of being dead. I don't want to miss anything. I'm only sad that one day this will come to an all too soon end. For that reason, I better make my best effort to make as much of my life as meaningful as possible.

Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism take away from the importance of the limited amount of time we have here on earth. I wish people from those religions would see the truth and come to understand how precious their life here really is. With their belief in heaven, paradise, or reincarnation, I don't think they can truly appreciate what they have to lose once it is over.
[+] 2 users Like PKJoe's post
13-08-2015, 08:13 PM
I have never had belief. I honestly do not believe it is possible for me to believe in deities.

Of course if one or two were to show up, I'd change my mind.

I see no reason for anything to exist. It simply does. We humans are a very very tiny piece of the universe that has no cares or plans. So each of us must take responsibility for our own existence and do our best to make it interesting and succeed at what we attempt. And if we fail, at least we tried.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 6 users Like Banjo's post
13-08-2015, 08:30 PM
I don't believe in unbelief. Sadcryface2

I've had the experience of God showing up, thus Imma gnostic atheist. Thumbsup

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
13-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Brainwashing runs very deep. And Christianity is a religion that loves to pull out the Hell card. When you are indoctrinated into a belief system that is reiterated by your family/friends/community/society--I think it is normal to experience doubts when you leave the church. It doesn't help when family and friends and the church won't let you go easy either.

I did experience doubts when I first left Christianity (Am I making the right decision? What if I'm wrong? What if God and Hell really do exist?). I made a list of every "doubt" that was bothering me. I then investigated all of my doubts via scholarly books, peer reviewed articles, documentaries, and courses. I weighed the evidence (something religion doesn't like you to do) and asked myself which answer was more logical. Of course, No god(s) existing won out.

I did feel a loss when I left Christianity. It was a part of my identity for so long. I was doing everything for God, trying to be the best Christian I could be. I was not living my life for me. I was doing what God wanted. After leaving Christianity, I didn't even know who I was as a person. I had to figure all of that out--minus God.

What you are feeling I think is leftover from some Christian guilt. We are taught our happiness is not as important as God's. Just because you identify as an atheist doesn't mean that brainwashing doesn't still try to worm it's way in. It will and it does. Just realize that is what it is and put it back in its place. Smile

I know you like quotes, so here's one for you:

"She is free in her wildness, she is a wanderess, a drop of free water. She knows nothing of borders and cares nothing for rules or customs. 'Time' for her isn’t something to fight against. Her life flows clean, with passion, like fresh water.” ― Roman Payne
[+] 7 users Like jennybee's post
13-08-2015, 09:51 PM
oh my garsh...lol I forgot I made this thread. Big Grin

I'd say that there has been a lot I've been through this year, one thing being losing my grandmother in January. It rattled me very much, for she was so special to me. She was a devout Christian, and it wasn't so much because of her faith that I was feeling unsettled, but really just coping with her loss that I felt like the bottom of my life dropped out, and religion or some sort of belief system served me as a safety net for most of my life. Since January, I've done a lot of reflecting, and feel that my belief system is atheistic, yet I feel agnostic in terms of certainty. Not certainty of my beliefs, but certainty in that none of us can really know or prove/disprove in the existence of a deity. I'm finally at peace with it all, and that is probably the greatest thing of all. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and input here. I'm grateful to have found this site. Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 7 users Like Deidre32's post
13-08-2015, 09:58 PM
(13-08-2015 09:51 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  oh my garsh...lol I forgot I made this thread. Big Grin

I'd say that there has been a lot I've been through this year, one thing being losing my grandmother in January. It rattled me very much, for she was so special to me. She was a devout Christian, and it wasn't so much because of her faith that I was feeling unsettled, but really just coping with her loss that I felt like the bottom of my life dropped out, and religion or some sort of belief system served me as a safety net for most of my life. Since January, I've done a lot of reflecting, and feel that my belief system is atheistic, yet I feel agnostic in terms of certainty. Not certainty of my beliefs, but certainty in that none of us can really know or prove/disprove in the existence of a deity. I'm finally at peace with it all, and that is probably the greatest thing of all. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and input here. I'm grateful to have found this site. Heart

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother Hug
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post