Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2015, 10:01 PM
RE: Do you ever doubt your "unbelief?"
(13-08-2015 09:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 09:51 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  oh my garsh...lol I forgot I made this thread. Big Grin

I'd say that there has been a lot I've been through this year, one thing being losing my grandmother in January. It rattled me very much, for she was so special to me. She was a devout Christian, and it wasn't so much because of her faith that I was feeling unsettled, but really just coping with her loss that I felt like the bottom of my life dropped out, and religion or some sort of belief system served me as a safety net for most of my life. Since January, I've done a lot of reflecting, and feel that my belief system is atheistic, yet I feel agnostic in terms of certainty. Not certainty of my beliefs, but certainty in that none of us can really know or prove/disprove in the existence of a deity. I'm finally at peace with it all, and that is probably the greatest thing of all. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and input here. I'm grateful to have found this site. Heart

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother Hug
Hug thank you jennybee. you seem like such a nice person from the different posts i've seen of yours. i'm glad you joined here. Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
13-08-2015, 10:04 PM
(13-08-2015 10:01 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 09:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother Hug
Hug thank you jennybee. you seem like such a nice person from the different posts i've seen of yours. i'm glad you joined here. Heart

Aww thanks Big Grin
13-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Our deepest condolences on your loss. It's the "downside" of atheism, I suppose, that when someone is gone, you know they're gone forever except in the memory of those who loved them.

It's a good reason for us to be the nicest people on the planet; there's no second chance make up for the missed chance to tell someone they're loved/special/wonderful, sometimes.

As for me, once I gave up religion, and truly looked at the things I was indoctrinated to believe, it was too ridiculous for words. I have never looked back; on the contrary, as I read and learn more, I am (like Jennybee) ever-more comfortable in my life without religion. Twenty-two years after walking away from my belief system, I find the Secular Humanist/scientific worldview completely satisfying. I like being able to understand what I can, and admit what I can't. The natural world is a wonderful, chaotic, and awe-inspiring place. Such a shame we get so few revolutions around the sun to enjoy it.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
13-08-2015, 10:40 PM
(13-08-2015 09:51 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  oh my garsh...lol I forgot I made this thread. Big Grin

I searched you out and read loads of your posts this morning. Wink

Sorry to learn of your loss. Sad

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
13-08-2015, 11:27 PM
(13-08-2015 10:40 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

That's not creepy at all. Angel

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
13-08-2015, 11:43 PM
(13-08-2015 08:13 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I have never had belief. I honestly do not believe it is possible for me to believe in deities.

Of course if one or two were to show up, I'd change my mind.

I see no reason for anything to exist. It simply does. We humans are a very very tiny piece of the universe that has no cares or plans. So each of us must take responsibility for our own existence and do our best to make it interesting and succeed at what we attempt. And if we fail, at least we tried.

This is exactly the way I feel about deities. It's amazing to me that people actually spend precious time and energy believing in gods. It's truly puzzling.

Deidre32, I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. You must have wonderful memories of her.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
13-08-2015, 11:54 PM
(13-08-2015 11:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 10:40 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I searched you out and read loads of your posts this morning. Wink

That's not creepy at all. Angel

No, not one bit.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
14-08-2015, 12:14 AM
(13-08-2015 11:54 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 11:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That's not creepy at all. Angel

No, not one bit.

More like several megabytes.
14-08-2015, 05:30 AM
(13-08-2015 10:14 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Our deepest condolences on your loss. It's the "downside" of atheism, I suppose, that when someone is gone, you know they're gone forever except in the memory of those who loved them.

It's a good reason for us to be the nicest people on the planet; there's no second chance make up for the missed chance to tell someone they're loved/special/wonderful, sometimes.

As for me, once I gave up religion, and truly looked at the things I was indoctrinated to believe, it was too ridiculous for words. I have never looked back; on the contrary, as I read and learn more, I am (like Jennybee) ever-more comfortable in my life without religion. Twenty-two years after walking away from my belief system, I find the Secular Humanist/scientific worldview completely satisfying. I like being able to understand what I can, and admit what I can't. The natural world is a wonderful, chaotic, and awe-inspiring place. Such a shame we get so few revolutions around the sun to enjoy it.

I like this, and it's so much what I had been feeling. It's taken a while, but I'm comfortable now. And thank you for your thoughts on my grandmother.
(13-08-2015 10:40 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

Sorry to learn of your loss. Sad

Thanks, Banjo. Heart

(13-08-2015 11:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 08:13 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I have never had belief. I honestly do not believe it is possible for me to believe in deities.

Of course if one or two were to show up, I'd change my mind.

I see no reason for anything to exist. It simply does. We humans are a very very tiny piece of the universe that has no cares or plans. So each of us must take responsibility for our own existence and do our best to make it interesting and succeed at what we attempt. And if we fail, at least we tried.

This is exactly the way I feel about deities. It's amazing to me that people actually spend precious time and energy believing in gods. It's truly puzzling.

Deidre32, I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. You must have wonderful memories of her.

I do have amazing memories of her...she was such a beautiful person, and I miss her more than words can say sometimes. Sad

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 4 users Like Deidre32's post
14-08-2015, 11:36 AM
I never doubt it. Religious nonsense isn't convincing, it's just stupid once one see through the lies and shake of indoctrination.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post