Do you ever find yourself at church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2015, 07:10 AM
Do you ever find yourself at church?
So Saturday was my nephews baby dedication. My brother and sister-in-law were very understanding if we decided not to come, but grateful that we did.

It was all too familiar. I had never heard any of the praise and worship songs, but I knew them. Does that make sense?

Before the service started, this guy came up and greeted us, and it felt so fake and typical. He was nice and everything, but I knew what he was thinking. Me and my husband are just a gold star on a Christians good deed list.

Oh, and we took communion! Lmao! It was funny, because me and my husband decided just to do it because if we didn't people might try to lay hands and pray for as after the service. Then we were worried we might offend my brother and sister-in-law, because the minister was talking about not taking the communion "unworthily." lol luckily, I don't think anyone cared.

Anyone ever find themselves at church?

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2015, 07:19 AM
RE: Do you ever find yourself at church?
(23-03-2015 07:10 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Anyone ever find themselves at church?

Actually, being at a church would mean I'm lost. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
23-03-2015, 07:32 AM
Last time I was at a church was in Melbourne with Aurora (sharing a 'smoke')

We are both now burning in hell.

tbh, I thought you meant "did you ever find your self at church" rather than "did you ever go to church.

To that, the answer is "yes". It was at church that I first challenged and then rejected the omnipotence of god(s).

Cool

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-03-2015, 07:33 AM
I go about three Sundays a month, mostly to help keep an eye on the kids. I sing about half of the hymns (depends on if I like them), and skip the confession and communion. I know several people there know I don't believe, and I'm sure a lot of others have figured it out. It's a pretty small group setting, and everyone knows each other.
23-03-2015, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2015 08:03 AM by devilsadvoc8.)
When I find myself at a service for whatever reason that I can't get out of, I certainly won't take communion. I am there for a personal reason not religious and no matter how uncomfortable it seems, I won't play their reindeer games.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
23-03-2015, 07:45 AM
The last church I went to was for touristy purposes. One of those big cathedrals in Montreal (my 3 year old wanted to go because he's convinced it's a castle). Back when I was living in Las Vegas I went into a church of Scientology once mostly just out of curiosity.

'Murican Canadian
23-03-2015, 08:06 AM
Nope, I have absolutely no desire to attend. I only went to church last January because my grandmother died. I didn't even go to my 3 kids' dedications and I feel no regret. My wife wanted to do it and she asked me if I wanted to go but I turned it down. I would have felt like a hypocrite the entire time had I gone. The worst part was when I was cornered by my wife's grandmother 7 years ago and got a lecture on how the bible says this and the bible says that. You should have seen the look on her face when I replied, "If you say you follow what the bible says, then you may want to look up the part in Timothy where it says that you may not teach me of the scriptures since you are a woman." I don't think she has spoken to me since.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 6 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
23-03-2015, 08:12 AM
(23-03-2015 07:39 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  When I find myself at a service for whatever reason that I can't get out of, I certainly won't take communion. I am there for a personal reason not religious and no matter how uncomfortable it seems, I won't play their reindeer games.

Yeah, it was a little moment of panic when I realized they were gonna take communion. The problem is that, as of now, only my brother and sister-in-law know that me and my husband are atheists. So if we rejected the communion, it might stir up awkwardness and potential drama and questions with the rest of the family that I'm not ready for yet.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
23-03-2015, 08:24 AM
(23-03-2015 08:12 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  
(23-03-2015 07:39 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  When I find myself at a service for whatever reason that I can't get out of, I certainly won't take communion. I am there for a personal reason not religious and no matter how uncomfortable it seems, I won't play their reindeer games.

Yeah, it was a little moment of panic when I realized they were gonna take communion. The problem is that, as of now, only my brother and sister-in-law know that me and my husband are atheists. So if we rejected the communion, it might stir up awkwardness and potential drama and questions with the rest of the family that I'm not ready for yet.

I guess you could always have said that your "heart wasn't right at that point in time". At least you and your husband are on the same page, that should help. Good luck.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
23-03-2015, 08:36 AM
I'll also admit that I sometimes have the urge to go into confession just to mess with the guy on the other side.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post