Do you ever just get tired of debating the same person?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Do you ever just get tired of debating the same person?
I frequent another popular religiousforums website and there is a user there who constantly misuses the Argument from Ignorance defense. He constantly accuses every atheist, rationalist, and/or skeptic of using it, when the argument or claim being made is more of a logical conclusion from induction rather than an argument from ignorance (although it may fit by 'definition') ... Then he will make a claim (many times within the same post) which is blatantly an Argument From Ignorance.

The user claims to be an atheist, though I personally do not believe him... mostly due to his positions and misuse of logic being strikingly similar to those you hear from theists all the time. I should note that most of his debates are not directly related to the "god" topic, rather, all of the things that are strung along with that belief... like re-incarnation, paranormal activity, and the soul / consciousness / mind without a brain.

I realize that the point of debating is NEVER to try and provide some kind of logic to convert the person you are in debate with... as it's almost pointless to do so... but it's more for the onlookers who are "on the fence", providing them with a view from both sides so they can see the fallacies in the claims being made. However, there are some users, like the aforementioned, that I just tire of debating... it eventually becomes a battle of "you're wrong", "no, you are", even though it may be shrouded with a more intelligent dialogue.

Does any body else run into this?

Do you just stop at some point, not really "give in", but just "give up" and move on to the next topic of interest with the hope that you've at least made your case enough to allow the fence-sitting onlooker to see the flaw in your opponent's supernatural claim?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RedJamaX's post
22-09-2013, 05:55 PM
RE: Do you ever just get tired of debating the same person?
Give an example of the user's posts.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
22-09-2013, 06:02 PM
I think I'm the guy people get tired of. I think Christians shut the hell up when I orbit too close to their conversations because mockery along with positional authority are hard to compete with.
05-10-2013, 03:26 PM
I argue with a guy...ALL THE TIME...he's a William Lane Craig clone...getting his PhD in apologetics, and regurgitates WLC's arguments verbatim. I took him to task the other day, and thought I did a great job of slaughtering his points. Of the 7 points he raised...I knocked them down handily. He then pointed me to the WLC vs. Krauss debate series. In those discussions, I discover my friend mindlessly recited the very same premises as WLC put forth. To my enjoyable surprise, most of my rebuttal was conceptually similar to Krauss’ counterpoints. The difference…I hadn’t been exposed to those arguments, yet I was magically able to see the logical missteps that were being recycled on his end. I pointed out that he passed off the same arguments as WLC after the debate, and I came up with the same arguments as Krauss before the debate…”I must be a really smart guy, hey?”

*He never responded.

Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata...hiding amongst the candy...hoping the kids don't break through with the stick!

---Master Tang---
05-10-2013, 03:30 PM
I mostly debate myself, so...yes , it gets tiresome .

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
05-10-2013, 03:32 PM
I get tired of debating the same topics more than anything. It's the main reason why I lurk here more than I post.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
05-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Often. I just walk away. It's not worth the irritation and stress.

Playing the sympathetic and benefit-of-the-doubt giving female, some excuse might be given for at least some of these beliefs. In The God Delusion professor Dawkins argues that humans are instinctive dualists. Since such tendencies seem to be hard wired into us they are hard to break. We may be intellectual monists, but since we are humans we have dualism programmed into us.

Of course he might be a liar and a troll. This is the Internet after all.
05-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Yeah, on my own forum there is a guy who I get tired of debating, and at those times, i just disappear for a while. It can get tiresome hearing the same insane bullshit over and over again.

In real life, I'm sick of debating my cousin because she sees evidence for jesus everywhere,and I don't see it anywhere.

It also depends on the topic. I never tire of pissing people off by talking about abortion and circumcision, for example.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Yes. I get very tired of it. While I understand that debating is not to get the other side to convert, I find it difficult to debate people who make very difficult arguments by what I call "camouflaging with big word paint."

They think if they just use a big word - often incorrectly - they can distract from the extreme illogical and contradictory argument. I find this in the evolution argument/intelligent design argument. Either it's evolution or it's intelligent design. Yet on occasion, the other side will say that evolution is evidence of intelligent design.

Evolution of the eye, for example, had to be intelligent design because it's evolution is too complicated without a designer.

It turns the debate into a debate about debating and ignores the actual topic....very frustrating.
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
07-10-2013, 01:15 PM
You should persist with the augments, because it could eventually result in God getting fed up then butting in and proving his existence for once (but then it would be a never ending argument on why is bible god such a horrible Cun* vs God is infallible)
, or the the theist may eventually realise god of gaps and ignorance is not proof.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".