Do you ever lie?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2016, 03:23 PM
Do you ever lie?
There was a very interesting discussion of this topic on today's NPR TED Radio Hour.

http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/

It seems we lie less through emails than on the phone which I thought was interesting. ...... and let's be honest, we ALLLLL lie.

People justify their lies and rationalize what the gains are vs the risk of getting caught. It was an interesting program.

I admit it, I have lied. Unsure Have any of you lied about anything on this forum?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2016, 03:41 PM
RE: Do you ever lie?
Nope, never. Angel

Seriously now, I cannot recall lying on this Forum.

IRL I may withhold information but I don’t lie very often, at least I don’t think I do.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-08-2016, 03:42 PM
(21-08-2016 03:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  There was a very interesting discussion of this topic on today's NPR TED Radio Hour.

http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/

It seems we lie less through emails than on the phone which I thought was interesting. ...... and let's be honest, we ALLLLL lie.

People justify their lies and rationalize what the gains are vs the risk of getting caught. It was an interesting program.

I admit it, I have lied. Unsure Have any of you lied about anything on this forum?

I don’t lie if I can avoid it, but that’s not to say that I don’t ever lie. I happen to be a very bad liar so I limit myself to doing it only when I deem it necessary. I'm an even worse liar to someone that I know well, so I generally not only stick to the truth, but I'm prone to offering information not asked so that everything gets out on the table. As for situations where I'm less familiar with people, to avoid lying, I try to stick to need to know information while omitting anything that I don’t want known. If I just don’t bring it up, then people won’t think to ask… then I don’t have to lie. I’m also prone to fudging details or changing names and locations (to protect the innocent).

So in keeping with my modus operandi, I will not specify whether or not I've lied on this forum.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
21-08-2016, 03:49 PM
I'm lying right now.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
21-08-2016, 03:52 PM
(21-08-2016 03:49 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I'm lying right now.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
21-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Even tho I have no problem lying I actually lie very rarely these days. When I do, it's usually to get out of trouble or some white lie to avoid feelings get hurt.
When I was younger I lied a lot , to my parents, in school, to cops on occasion and obviously to the girls when I was in the dating game Angel
On this forum? I don't think so.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
21-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Do you ever lie?
Yes, therefore god. Checkmate ray comfort

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
21-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Hell, I'm not even using my real name here.
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
21-08-2016, 04:07 PM
I try not to lie except by omission. It's too hard to keep track of lies and being able to trust and be trusted is important to me.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
21-08-2016, 04:10 PM
(21-08-2016 04:00 PM)pablo Wrote:  Hell, I'm not even using my real name here.

I will not specify whether or not I'm using my real name. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post