Do you ever lie?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2016, 10:53 AM
RE: Do you ever lie?
My whole online persona is based on a huge lie, so I'm going to come out with the truth right here and now...

I don't really herd yaks Sadcryface2Sadcryface2Sadcryface2
I'll admit, it felt good getting that off my shoulders.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
22-08-2016, 12:57 PM
I think there is something to that NPR discussion...I went back through a bunch of my posts here, and I only found ONE lie...I'm going to come clean now, so..SSSHHHHH!

Ready? I am not really the dark one. I know, I know...but he IS a friend of mine, so...

Seriously, people have always told me I have no filter, which generally means a person is rude or tells the truth even if it's awkward. Since I try very hard not to be rude, well...

I find I tend to lie out of laziness rather than any sort of desire to mislead. For instance, when away from home, pilots go bar hopping. We just do. I'm not sure why- even those that don't drink and aren't "looking for love". Weird.

But after I got married and was no longer, err, "on the prowl" as it were, it was a pain in the ass to answer the question "What do you do?" with "I'm an airline pilot", because then you get all of the giggles and weird questions for the next hour- sometimes because they're curious about your job, which is ok, but usually because they figure you are lying, and this lie means that you are trying to impress them and are therefore interested. So I always said I was a heavy equipment operator, which is technically true, but much less interesting- to most women in bars, anyway. Smile
22-08-2016, 01:02 PM
(22-08-2016 10:53 AM)yakherder Wrote:  My whole online persona is based on a huge lie, so I'm going to come out with the truth right here and now...

I don't really herd yaks Sadcryface2Sadcryface2Sadcryface2
I'll admit, it felt good getting that off my shoulders.

DAMN! I JUST told a friend of mine not to worry about his yak problem because I knew a guy....Sad
[+] 3 users Like The Dark One's post
22-08-2016, 01:51 PM
I have never told a lie. Not in my entire life. Never. Nope, nope, nope.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
23-08-2016, 03:05 PM
I lie to myself every day.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
27-08-2016, 03:29 PM
I think everybody does at some point in their lives.
27-08-2016, 03:38 PM
I try not to, but I do sometimes. Any lie I've told here so far, however, has always been followed by the truth. Like pretending to hold a position when in fact I don't, just to see what reactions I might get. That's something I do in RL as well, it's just harder to convey a joking manner here so it can be misunderstood at times.

I think it best to try not to lie at all, however, especially online, because what have you got to lose, really. There are only strangers here, you never have to meet them or deal with them otherwise.
27-08-2016, 03:56 PM
Only when I have to.

The trick is to lie terribly 90% of the time. That when when you REALLY need to lie bam! They never see it coming.

A fun movie is the Invention of Lie with Ricky Gervais. It a story about a world that doesn't lie. Everyone is just blunt and in your face honest. The Ricky thinks of saying something that isn't.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
27-08-2016, 03:58 PM
Doesn't everyone lie? Unsure

In bed, when they sleep! Angel

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
27-08-2016, 03:59 PM
(27-08-2016 03:38 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  I try not to, but I do sometimes. Any lie I've told here so far, however, has always been followed by the truth. Like pretending to hold a position when in fact I don't, just to see what reactions I might get. That's something I do in RL as well, it's just harder to convey a joking manner here so it can be misunderstood at times.

I think it best to try not to lie at all, however, especially online, because what have you got to lose, really. There are only strangers here, you never have to meet them or deal with them otherwise.

Holy shit, you're on here too?

Hey EP.
[+] 1 user Likes Lucipurr's post