Do you fear death?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
02-01-2015, 11:39 PM
RE: Do you fear death?
I'm scared of death, because all I know is living. I came face to face with death when I was held up at gun point last year. I can't describe the feeling of your life flashing before your eyes. It's very scary.
I don't think anyone expects to die young. I had about 3 seconds to contemplate my life as he had that gun to my head. Then survival instincts kicked in and I did everything I could to live. Thankfully he only wanted money and cared enough not to off me in the process of getting it.

That being said, I really hope I die in my sleep peacefully. The idea of dying in such a traumatic way is extremely frightening.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 05:39 AM
(02-01-2015 11:00 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 10:40 AM)Free Wrote:  We all fear death, because it is a natural violation of self preservation.

^^^this is very much at play and I think it explains much of what Stark, Vosur and others have said in the beginning. Its an instinctual response, our body, physiologically speaking, doesnt want to die any more than what we have all stated in the thread. I think a body will fight and rush all the aldrenaline and such that it can in those final moments to stop it.

This loses potency as you grow old. It's purpose is to keep you from dying when your body is not worn out yet. When you are old, fight or flight are not options in any situation, and the instinct to do so has subsided in most cases.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-01-2015, 06:13 AM
So I'm the retard that gave this thread one star on accident. My thumb slipped while typing on my phone.

My apologies.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
03-01-2015, 06:27 AM
(03-01-2015 06:13 AM)Nurse Wrote:  So I'm the retard that gave this thread one star on accident. My thumb slipped while typing on my phone.

My apologies.

I see your one star and raise you two, Nurse.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
03-01-2015, 06:32 AM
I have absolutely no fear of death, in fact I would welcome it. I force myself to live on for those around me who would suffer if I did myself in.

What I do fear though is suffering.

What a gloomy post to get going with! Sorry about that. I have had ME (chronic fatigue syndrome) for 8 years, depression kicking in very soon after it started. I've always known the world is full of evil and hurt, and unfortunately being depressed makes it harder to overlook these things and focus on what I can change. But I keep trying!

Battling religion is one of the many causes that is worth my effort. I wish I could do more. It's depressing that many good causes are just mopping up harm done by bad causes.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
03-01-2015, 07:06 AM
(03-01-2015 06:13 AM)Nurse Wrote:  So I'm the retard that gave this thread one star on accident. My thumb slipped while typing on my phone.

My apologies.

Holy shit, I've been here a year and just noticed you could rate threads...is that new or am I just blind?

I'm almost on my phone so that's my excuse

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
03-01-2015, 07:10 AM
(03-01-2015 07:06 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  

My apologies.

Holy shit, I've been here a year and just noticed you could rate threads...is that new or am I just blind?

I tend to just refresh new posts and not go into the subforums directly, and then I don't see the stars. I kept nodding off asleep and my thumb hit personal issues and support, and then it hit one star. Oops.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
03-01-2015, 07:15 AM
(03-01-2015 07:10 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 07:06 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Holy shit, I've been here a year and just noticed you could rate threads...is that new or am I just blind?

I tend to just refresh new posts and not go into the subforums directly, and then I don't see the stars. I kept nodding off asleep and my thumb hit personal issues and support, and then it hit one star. Oops.

"I'll show you what I think of your problems Angry"

I kid, I kid Tongue

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
03-01-2015, 07:33 AM
I heard a little adage once and it has always stuck with me. Recently I have taken it to be very truthful when thinking of the alternatives. The phrase is, "Death Is a gift"

It occurred to me again when I heard a persons immediate response to the question, would you want to be immortal? As, No I would wind up sitting inside the sun burning up in the incredible heat. It actually made me think about the far advanced issues of living eternally. The concept of loneliness of seeing loved ones come and die has been so played in by vampires/etc. in various media that it gets ignored to me and dismissed. This element of the fact that you may wind up out in space on your own sometimes dealing with the heat of being trapped pulled into a sun or stuck not dying being pulled in by a black hole really shines the fact that being able to die is quite beneficial. It is a gift because otherwise suffering will linger on in some manner.

That also makes me think of a great episode of an otherwise failed redo of the Twilight Zone from 2002. It was in the 1st episode so they knew that was something they had that was good since the rest disappointed. In this episode Jason Alexander played Death, just the embodiment of death in a slouchy tired man who comes to a doctors office and tells a doctor he has decided to quit. Later the doctor sees the ramifications of death not existing meaning people with eminence pain, such as a person massively burned across his body weren't able to die. It highlighted for our multicultural complex systems, death definitely is a necessary element.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
03-01-2015, 08:25 AM
I have no concept of death to be afraid of...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g