Do you fear death?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
07-01-2015, 06:39 AM
RE: Do you fear death?
I'm not concerned with death. I'll just come back after three days.
...No, wait, that's Jesus.

Seriously though, death isn't a big deal. All things will die, eventually. I'd love to have some more time to learn about the universe, but that just isn't possible, so I'll have to make do with what little time I have.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like One Above All's post
11-01-2015, 01:09 AM
(07-01-2015 06:32 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 11:30 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  Sorry lady wallflower to be crude about a serious subject, but I honestly think I want to go when I can't get it up anymore. That seems more fearful than death, and would feel like not being alive. Is this an unreasonable criterion? I suppose it's possible I'm overestimating its importance.

With jackoff medicine being what it is, I wonder what the longevity is? Anyway, it really does make me realize there will come a day when I know it's time to go, and hopefully be at peace with it.

I understand that. My husband has said the same type of stuff. He says when he's so old that he's no longer independent, he'd rather be dead.

That's partly why I want to workout, do yoga, and change my diet. I want to live a long healthy life (also, I want a smoking hot body...hehe Blush ). I no longer rely on prayer or "gods timing" for my health. I might not be able to control everything life throws at me, but there is a lot I can do to be healthier! Of course, it's easier said than done.

Ha, you know what LWF? I'm going to say you deserve to have a smokin hot body Thumbsup It will also improve your husband's longevity, according to my criterion. You go for it girl! Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
11-01-2015, 11:52 AM
I fear death at times....but I think my fear is actually more of the moment right before death. What will it be like? Painful? Quick? Slow? However I bring myself out of the hole of thought by remembering what Mark Twain said (paraphrased) 'I do not fear death for I had been dead for billions of years before I was born and it did not inconvenience me the slightest. '

**Crickets** -- God
11-01-2015, 12:28 PM
(11-01-2015 11:52 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I fear death at times....but I think my fear is actually more of the moment right before death. What will it be like? Painful? Quick? Slow? However I bring myself out of the hole of thought by remembering what Mark Twain said (paraphrased) 'I do not fear death for I had been dead for billions of years before I was born and it did not inconvenience me the slightest. '

Maybe it's only me, but I don't really find comfort in that quote. It didn't inconvenience me because I never experienced life before it. Sure, as far as we know once you're dead, you don't really know you're dead. But right now, it does inconvenience me lol

It's like that person that said (paraphrasing) "Dying is like going to sleep. You don't worry when you're going to sleep"...

Yeah, uh... probably that's because I expect to wake up the next morning. But maybe, that's just me being into details too much.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
12-01-2015, 09:51 AM
Christian spoken work about death. I find it funny that a Christian can say all this and all they can think about is the afterlife. I listen to this and I want to savor every moment of life!

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
12-01-2015, 10:31 AM
Having witnessed my parents deaths.. as long as I'm too drugged up to know I'm dying then I'm fine. What comes after isn't a concern unless of course I'm not really dead and get buried alive! eeeekkkk! My fathers ever so sensitive doc with a great bedside manner told him, "Everyone dies of something" Terribly helpful bit of info that was.
[+] 1 user Likes Whimsymum's post
12-01-2015, 03:28 PM
(12-01-2015 10:31 AM)Whimsymum Wrote:  "Everyone dies of something"

Indeed. Therefore I am quite tempted when the time comes to punch my own ticket. Or my irritating kids - I'm sure by that time I'll be a crotchety old geezer with irritating kids, so they'll definitely deserve to be punched.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-01-2015, 05:02 PM
(12-01-2015 03:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 10:31 AM)Whimsymum Wrote:  "Everyone dies of something"

Indeed. Therefore I am quite tempted when the time comes to punch my own ticket. Or my irritating kids - I'm sure by that time I'll be a crotchety old geezer with irritating kids, so they'll definitely deserve to be punched.

Well give that doc a cookie for tact. I could tell some stories...like when I had a crashing septic patient that was 28, and the ED doc asked me at the nurses station "so is our patient on bed 16 still alive?"...with the wife five feet behind him in ear shot. Facepalm we had to pick her up off the floor.

We were all talking last night about bedside manner with trying to get the family to stay when we are pretty sure momma's about to die..."might" have been an issue last night. Older nurse: "well I just don't see how much more blunt I can make it, I told her I think she needed to stay a little while longer because she was going to 'pass' tonight. I mean, it's not like she's (the patient) gonna be driving herself home tonight. We need to know which funeral home." Me: "you gotta use the word die or dead. People make up all sortsa shit in their head to deny it's happening, but it's really hard to escape that word." She was dead before midnight.

Most of the time, a simple "I don't think Momma is going to make it through the night. Why don't you stay with her these last few moments" will suffice. But some times ya gotta use the big guns "She's dying. She won't live through the night. The signs are there."

One of the younger ED docs I used to work with told me he was trained to say, "I'm sorry. Your mother is dead." Not "she's passed" or "she's with the angels" or some other inane bullshit. Straight to the point. It's so frustrating when a doc says "we lost her." No, we didn't fucking lose her, the body is still on bed 3, she's not wandering down the street to the bus stop...we did everything we could until we couldn't do anymore, and saying we "lost" someone implies otherwise.

Morondog, you sure you're not already a crotchety old geezer? Tongue

My son is even more adorable than I am. Angel Actually, he really is pretty stinkin cute. Probably cause he looks and acts so much like me. Big Grin Most people like their own kiddos and find them considerably less irritating than other people's kids.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
13-01-2015, 01:24 AM
I fear the alternatives far more.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-01-2015, 09:35 PM
Of all the subjects on this forum this is the most maddeningly difficult and frustrating for me to enunciate. To explain my position on it to any kind of justice would require hours of typing, deleting, rephrasing and enough pacing to burn a hole in my carpet so deep I could high five Thatcher by the time it's over.

Attempting, perhaps in vain, to keep my thoughts as short and concise as possible I shall say this: I have no fear of death at all. When I say that what I mean is I fully do not understand the fear of death in other people either. As a concept it leaves me utterly bewildered, to the point where people trying to explain it to me leaves me angry and confused, not at them but at myself for failing to understand it or to relate.

My close friends, even my wife while she yet lived, never came to me for advice on the subject. I can console as well as the next because while I might not understand the grief surrounding death I do understand grief. I am blind and unknowing when it comes to the source but I have a deep well of empathy (despite my constant foul mouth) and their pain makes me feel pain.

And yet I do not feel grief or fear as they do at the death of others or the prospect of my own, and I feel the lesser for it. It makes me seem cold and unfeeling, distant and unsympathetic, a detached and inhuman brute which could not be further from the truth. Of all the things kicking around in this mind of mine this one thing does more damage to my self-esteem then anything else. It makes a man feel monstrous, as if he stands outside his own humanity.

Not only do I not fear death I do not fear a painful or slow death. What I do fear, what I find uncontrollably terrifying, is the idea of a pointless death. To die a death full of courage and valor, to die defending the weak, or the innocent, or in defense of the liberty of others is the only death I could accept as proper. But to die basely... bereft of all valor or courage, of sickness or the dotage of old age... in some hospital bed desperately clinging to the last vestiges of life... this terrifies me beyond measure.

So bloody hard to explain.Angry

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post