Do you fear death?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
29-03-2015, 09:23 PM
RE: Do you fear death?
This is a subject that scares me deeply.

I fear the annihilation of it all. For some reason the idea of leaving my loved ones alone and being alone in nothingness is the most terrifying thought I can muster.

I recognize that I won't feel anything...but for some reason at this time of my life that is no solace. I can only hope to improve in this area.

This is also an area that makes my stomach churn when I hear theist's talk smugly of their absolute knowledge of the after life. I too once held that view and it shaped much of my life for many years. Trying to fill that particular 'hole' left after leaving religion has been so far unsuccessful.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jorsen's post
30-03-2015, 05:24 AM
(29-03-2015 09:23 PM)Jorsen Wrote:  This is a subject that scares me deeply.

I fear the annihilation of it all. For some reason the idea of leaving my loved ones alone and being alone in nothingness is the most terrifying thought I can muster.

But you won't be. You won't be alone, you won't be anything. You have made up an image that won't be.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-03-2015, 06:19 AM
(29-03-2015 09:23 PM)Jorsen Wrote:  This is a subject that scares me deeply.

I fear the annihilation of it all.

You have already experienced it before you were conceived. Was that scary?

Quote:For some reason the idea of leaving my loved ones alone

I understand that could be frustrating or make you angry and that it can cause worry now while you are still alive but once you are gone all the available evidence is that there won't be a you to experience any emotion.

Quote:and being alone in nothingness is the most terrifying thought I can muster.

If there is no you then there is no alone. "You" won't be experiencing anything.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
30-03-2015, 07:06 AM
(01-01-2015 09:55 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I don't fear death itself.

i fear that it might arrive earlier than I want, or in a painful, or traumatic way, or in an agonizing suffering way. Hopefully it will be quick and I won't know what hit me or I get a say in the matter or I lose my mind and don't know the difference.

And I worry about the impact my death will have on my children. I hope its when they are adukts and able to care for themselves and have families of their own and arent still "in need" of their mother, kwim?

but the actual death part...nah...

Ditto.
30-03-2015, 07:18 AM
(01-01-2015 09:49 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Hello my beautiful bunch of lovely loves! (Sorry, I'm drinking a margarita at the moment)

Ok, this is actually a serious topic for me, so put your serious faces on! So I have stopped fearing hell for a while now, but recently I've been fearing death. I've just been realizing how inevitable death is. I'm afraid of my life going by too fast or dying too young. I just love living and I can't imagine ever being ready to die!

Does anyone else deal with this fear? What do you do?

I don't fear death, but I haz a sad. Sadcryface2

I fear dying a painful death, but I don't fear being dead - it just makes me sad to think I won't get to experience things. There is much I haven't done, there is knowledge I will never have, places I will never see, ...

I just try to live while I can.

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
30-03-2015, 07:46 AM
(30-03-2015 07:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  I fear dying a painful death, but I don't fear being dead - it just makes me sad to think I won't get to experience things. There is much I haven't done, there is knowledge I will never have, places I will never see, ...

My sentiments also. After watching a few friends/relatives suffer a slow painful death, it's all I can hope for that I don't have the same demise.

I also think about the amazing discoveries that I won't be witness to as we discover more about the universe and expand our limits of space travel - that makes me sad.
Although I could look on the bright side and be grateful that I've seen more than everybody else that has already died (in terms of scientific discovery).

Probably not helping the OP's fears much but I suppose death is something that you need to accept begrudgingly but not ponder about too much. Always better than treating this life as meaningless and waiting for better things like a delusion of heaven though.

Live long and prosper as Spock would say.

Using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes TubbyTubby's post
30-03-2015, 07:54 AM
As George Carlin pointed out -- nobody's afraid of being dead. Everybody's afraid of GETTING dead.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Do I fear death? Sometimes.

What do I do about it? I try not to think about it.

I've had a few close calls, and they were very frightening. I know in my brain that when I die I will no longer exist. I didn't exist before, and I will not exist after, and that is inevitable. But I enjoy walking up and down the sides of mountains, and I enjoy paddling a kayak in calm ocean water, and I enjoy visiting the world beneath the waves (sometimes with a tank of air on my back, and sometimes just with the air in my lungs). I want to be able to keep doing these things.

There are things I fear more than death. Pain. Jellyfish. Poisonous creepy-crawlies. That is, they elicit a stronger fear reaction. I try not to think about them either, and always wear an exposure suit (wetsuit or dive skin) when I dive. I don't let fear prevent me from having fun, but I avoid activities that are truly risky. I'll dive with sharks (scary but very low true risk) but I will not travel to countries where there is war or active insurgency. I won't go to the Middle east. I exercise regularly to keep in shape, both to delay physical deterioration which in turn would hasten my death, and to be able to keep walking up and down the sides of mountains.

But reasonable or not, if I allow myself to think about the fact that I will come to an end, that thought scares me. I do wish I could convince myself that my conscious awareness would continue after my body dies. Maybe in the Pastafarian heaven with the stripper factory and the beer volcano, maybe as part of Gaia, maybe as a peregrine falcon so I could soar above the mountains. Sometimes I imagine myself as a falcon, flying low over the skiers in winter who are my favorite hiking guides in summer, and finding some way to let them know it's me. Or perching on the summits that are unattainable to me as a hiker.

Maybe the fantasies help, just a little. I know them to be fantasies, but at least they're my own fantasies, and not the terrifying hellfire fantasies of some psychotic preacher. In my fantasies there are kittens and baby ducks and (thanks to Bobby Henderson) a beer volcano.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
30-03-2015, 09:22 AM
(30-03-2015 08:14 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  Do I fear death? Sometimes.

I've had a few close calls, and they were very frightening. I know in my brain that when I die I will no longer exist. I didn't exist before, and I will not exist after, and that is inevitable. But I enjoy walking up and down the sides of mountains, and I enjoy paddling a kayak in calm ocean water, and I enjoy visiting the world beneath the waves (sometimes with a tank of air on my back, and sometimes just with the air in my lungs). I want to be able to keep doing these things.

There are things I fear more than death. Pain. Jellyfish. Poisonous creepy-crawlies. That is, they elicit a stronger fear reaction. I try not to think about them either, and always wear an exposure suit (wetsuit or dive skin) when I dive. I don't let fear prevent me from having fun, but I avoid activities that are truly risky. I'll dive with sharks (scary but very low true risk) but I will not travel to countries where there is war or active insurgency. I won't go to the Middle east. I exercise regularly to keep in shape, both to delay physical deterioration which in turn would hasten my death, and to be able to keep walking up and down the sides of mountains.

But reasonable or not, if I allow myself to think about the fact that I will come to an end, that thought scares me. I do wish I could convince myself that my conscious awareness would continue after my body dies. Maybe in the Pastafarian heaven with the stripper factory and the beer volcano, maybe as part of Gaia, maybe as a peregrine falcon so I could soar above the mountains. Sometimes I imagine myself as a falcon, flying low over the skiers in winter who are my favorite hiking guides in summer, and finding some way to let them know it's me. Or perching on the summits that are unattainable to me as a hiker.

Maybe the fantasies help, just a little. I know them to be fantasies, but at least they're my own fantasies, and not the terrifying hellfire fantasies of some psychotic preacher. In my fantasies there are kittens and baby ducks and (thanks to Bobby Henderson) a beer volcano.

Evolution would have failed us miserably if it had not installed a fear of death in the young and able bodied. It would also have failed us miserably if it had not eased that fear for the old and terminal.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-03-2015, 09:24 AM
(30-03-2015 09:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-03-2015 08:14 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  Do I fear death? Sometimes.

Evolution would have failed us miserably if it had not installed a fear of death in the young and able bodied. It would also have failed us miserably if it had not eased that fear for the old and terminal.

Except evolution doesn't give a rat's ass about the old and terminal. No

Really. Drinking Beverage