Do you fear death?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
30-03-2015, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2015 09:32 AM by Dom.)
RE: Do you fear death?
Sure it does. If everyone left this world kicking and screaming it would be highly disruptive to everything, the fear of dying would permeate everything and humans would not be brave and daring. There would be no progress. It is very important to social evolution that humans leave this world without disrupting everything.

Most other social animals remove themselves entirely from their society as death approaches. It's a definite pattern.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2015, 10:36 AM
I only 'fear' if that's even the right word...'how' I might die, not necessarily when. I just don't want it to be horribly painful. Sad

Be true to yourself. Heart
30-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Hey, all the best people have died. Carl Sagan, Einstein, Will Rogers, Harpo Marx, Katharine Hepburn etc. If they can do it.....well.... so can I.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
30-03-2015, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2015 04:12 PM by Adrianime.)
I fear death instinctively (as I believe we all do). All my being tells me to avoid danger, avoid situations that might lead to the end of my existence. To no longer be able to think, feel, plan, accomplish, get surprised, experience happiness, be moved to tears, or in other words...no longer live. No longer existing is a scary concept. Not that I will know when I'm there, but I will do my best to not be there as long as I can. Contrary to what others here have said, I fear death much more than I fear dying.

Edit: That being said, I don't think about it much. Probably spend less than 30 minutes thinking about it a year. Smile

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
30-03-2015, 04:05 PM
(30-03-2015 09:28 AM)Dom Wrote:  Sure it does. If everyone left this world kicking and screaming it would be highly disruptive to everything, the fear of dying would permeate everything and humans would not be brave and daring. There would be no progress. It is very important to social evolution that humans leave this world without disrupting everything.

Most animals die long before old age. Humans are an exception.
All deaths are disruptive, especially among social animals.

Quote:Most other social animals remove themselves entirely from their society as death approaches. It's a definite pattern.

I don't see how that is related.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2015, 04:10 PM
I think what is more of a concern, at least to me is...we don't know when we will die, and I think of the time I've wasted on stupid things. It would be a shame to die, and not leave behind some type of positive legacy or footprint. That concerns me more than death itself.

30-03-2015, 04:25 PM
(30-03-2015 04:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-03-2015 09:28 AM)Dom Wrote:  Most other social animals remove themselves entirely from their society as death approaches. It's a definite pattern.

I don't see how that is related.

It is why it is not disruptive.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-03-2015, 04:29 PM
(30-03-2015 04:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-03-2015 04:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't see how that is related.

It is why it is not disruptive.

Whatever behavior you believe you see does not manifest until long after the reproductive phase of the animal, so selection simply cannot act on it.

This is the reason that diseases of old age persist in the population - there is nothing that selects them out of the gene pool.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2015, 05:29 PM
(30-03-2015 04:10 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I think what is more of a concern, at least to me is...we don't know when we will die, and I think of the time I've wasted on stupid things.

That seems like a great motivator to me. More important things, less stupid things .. unless it turns out the stupid things are the most enjoyable. In which case fuck it.

How is your religious status these days, Deidre? Mine is about the same.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
30-03-2015, 05:47 PM
(30-03-2015 05:29 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(30-03-2015 04:10 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I think what is more of a concern, at least to me is...we don't know when we will die, and I think of the time I've wasted on stupid things.

That seems like a great motivator to me. More important things, less stupid things .. unless it turns out the stupid things are the most enjoyable. In which case fuck it.

How is your religious status these days, Deidre? Mine is about the same.

Sometimes, stupid things can be fun. That's the problem. lol

So...wait a minute. You have been a member here before me? Why don't you post here more? Big Grin I like your posts very much.

Regarding my religious status. After much reflection...I'd say Deism is what resonates the most these days. Stay tuned...it might be different next week. JK Tongue

You are Agnostic? Were you always? (I tend to think we all are agnostic, for agnosticism deals with knowledge, not belief.)