Do you fear death?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
30-03-2015, 06:03 PM
RE: Do you fear death?
I'd say I'm definitely agnostic - as banal as that should be to say. But I have no belief in any gods so put me down as an atheist too. Between the two, I'd say agnosticism tells you more about me than my atheism does. I'm fine with not knowing as I don't think either side will ever say anything that is persuasive to the other. I'm not a strong agnostic but my gut tells me this isn't going to be resolved anytime soon.

But I believe in plenty of things for which there is no evidence so I have a soft spot for theists and deists. I like to imagine coming together with others around a small fire, looking up into the night sky and spit balling theories about what it all is and what it means. Everyone gets their say and is entitled to it. What the hell do I know that should persuade the person across the fire from me to my point of view? Nothing. Viva la difference.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
30-03-2015, 07:45 PM
RE: Do you fear death?
(30-03-2015 06:03 PM)whateverist Wrote:  I'd say I'm definitely agnostic - as banal as that should be to say. But I have no belief in any gods so put me down as an atheist too. Between the two, I'd say agnosticism tells you more about me than my atheism does. I'm fine with not knowing as I don't think either side will ever say anything that is persuasive to the other. I'm not a strong agnostic but my gut tells me this isn't going to be resolved anytime soon.

But I believe in plenty of things for which there is no evidence so I have a soft spot for theists and deists. I like to imagine coming together with others around a small fire, looking up into the night sky and spit balling theories about what it all is and what it means. Everyone gets their say and is entitled to it. What the hell do I know that should persuade the person across the fire from me to my point of view? Nothing. Viva la difference.

Very interesting, whateverist. I'd say that we are more than our beliefs or lack thereof as it relates to a deity, anyway. I'm fine with not knowing either, and I think theism kept me spinning in that need to 'have to know.' Nicely put.

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post