Do you fear death?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
01-01-2015, 10:47 PM
RE: Do you fear death?
Yes, I do. I've been trying to find a way to cope with that fear for years - to no avail. I have come to accept that there's nothing that can comfort me in that regard.

I came pretty close to dying after a surgery a couple of months ago and it was one of the most scary experiences I've ever had. Undecided

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
01-01-2015, 10:47 PM
(01-01-2015 10:33 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I fear dying a slow, painful death.
I'm not worried about after I'm dead, anymore. I'm not gonna care when I'm gone, cause I'm not gonna exist.

Wow, yeah I definitely would rather die quickly. Preferably when I'm very old!

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
01-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Got real sick, landed in ICU special obs for five days. Just over two weeks total. It was bad and scary. That's really as much as I'd like to share. It was bad. Changed me, yaknow?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
01-01-2015, 10:54 PM
(01-01-2015 10:47 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Yes, I do. I've been trying to find a way to cope with that fear for years - to no avail. I have come to accept that there's nothing that can comfort me in that regard.

I came pretty close to dying after a surgery a couple of months ago and it was one of the most scary experiences I've ever had. Undecided

Ya. That.

It changes you. Doesn't it?

[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
01-01-2015, 10:55 PM
(01-01-2015 10:50 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Got real sick, landed in ICU special obs for five days. Just over two weeks total. It was bad and scary. That's really as much as I'd like to share. It was bad. Changed me, yaknow?

I'm sorry you had to experience that. I hope that over time it will change you for the better. Hug

My sisters had a friend who died in his sleep several years ago. He wasn't even a teenager yet. I guess it was the best way to go, but it was such a shock for the family and he was so young. Ever since then, I've had nights where I'm afraid to go to sleep because I might not wake up.

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
01-01-2015, 11:03 PM
I have no fear of death, only of the very probable possibility of dying in agony.

I used to fear death, and before that hell. I guess it's just a natural progression. Ask yourself this: are you really afraid of death itself, or of losing your worldly possessions? Possessions as in material, relationship , etc...

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 3 users Like Im_Ryan's post
01-01-2015, 11:16 PM
(01-01-2015 11:03 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I have no fear of death, only of the very probable possibility of dying in agony.

I used to fear death, and before that hell. I guess it's just a natural progression. Ask yourself this: are you really afraid of death itself, or of losing your worldly possessions? Possessions as in material, relationship , etc...

I think it's the worldly possessions I'm scared of losing. I enjoy life. I love being able to experience life, love my family, have fun, have goals and a future, and simply be.

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
01-01-2015, 11:19 PM
Sorry if I'm bumming everyone out with this subject! I've just been dealing with this a lot lately and I wanted to seek support. Unsure

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
01-01-2015, 11:24 PM
(01-01-2015 11:03 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I have no fear of death, only of the very probable possibility of dying in agony.

I guess to me, what you're talking about is "after death". The actual dying is the scary part. I agree it's a progression. I think that for me the "loss" was something I let go of ages ago. The fear came with the realization that those fleeting moments where you are going through the act of dying (fuck that sounds dumb, you get it) are probably going to be horrible, and very likely feel like a very long time.

Ya man. I'm with you. Had to talk it out, but I think we're sayin the same thing. Fuck all the possessions and shit. After your gone it will be just like remembering before you were born. Just get me there quick!

[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
01-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Living will. Make sure you have one.

Make sure your family knows your wishes. Cause even your living will means shit when the family says "No! Do everything you can!" I don't think people understand what that entails. We can place a VAD to bypass your heart, we can do ECMO to bypass your lungs, we can do CRRT to bypass your kidneys when you're too unstable for hemodialysis. So how the fuck are you supposed to die?!?!?

When I do chest compressions, and I break your ribs, and I break your sternum, and I puncture your lungs, and you have brain damage from the lack of oxygen to your brain..... Make sure your family knows what you want. Make sure they know it's ok to let you go... If it is ok....

Some things are worse than death.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post