Do you find yourself more hostile or put off when...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2014, 06:28 PM
RE: Do you find yourself more hostile or put off when...
(17-02-2014 06:16 PM)thedudette Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 06:07 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I usually avoid talking about it. I used to volunteer at our kid's school and there was a teacher who was a Mormon and she was always talking to me about god and her church and inviting me to attend. It got to the point I dreaded seeing her. Finally I told her that I didn't believe and I thought the church of latter day saints was a cult and completely made up. You should have seen the look on her face. It was like holding up a cross made of garlic grown in holy water to a vampire.

Woah.
Does she have a resentment towards you now?

She moved away a couple of weeks later. She definitely was not friendly to me any more and looked away when she saw me. She was kind of a kook. She was always printing out articles from the internet about the coming global crisis and concentration camps that the government was preparing. She told me she used to be really into drugs and she found religion. She picked the Mormon church because they would let her be with her family after she died. LOL.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2014, 06:33 PM
(17-02-2014 06:28 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 06:16 PM)thedudette Wrote:  Woah.
Does she have a resentment towards you now?

She moved away a couple of weeks later. She definitely was not friendly to me any more and looked away when she saw me. She was kind of a kook. She was always printing out articles from the internet about the coming global crisis and concentration camps that the government was preparing. She told me she used to be really into drugs and she found religion. She picked the Mormon church because they would let her be with her family after she died. LOL.

Did you know she was planning to leave before you told her?
17-02-2014, 06:39 PM
(17-02-2014 06:27 PM)thedudette Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 06:19 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I do an eye roll, but have to move on because I live in NC and I wouldn't get anything accomplished if I couldn't figure out a way to move past that nugget of knowledge about them quickly. There's just too many brainwashed people here to spend time debating.

Do you find it difficult to move past it?

Not really, it ranks up there with the bazillion other things I hear on a daily basis that I could care less about ( my kids team won the soccer tournament, I only breast fed my child, homeschooling is the only way, she got a blue ribbon riding, we are going to Paris for spring break, my husband was on call all weekend, she didn't do my highlights and manicure just right, third grade kids with iPhones, iPods, heated pools, etc. ) I am exposed to wealthy soccer moms regularly- I do lots of secret eye rolling.

And for the record I am NOT one of them. You could fit my house in their garage! Lol. Happy that they can do what they wish, but yes, I do lots of eye rolling.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
17-02-2014, 06:44 PM
(17-02-2014 06:33 PM)thedudette Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 06:28 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  She moved away a couple of weeks later. She definitely was not friendly to me any more and looked away when she saw me. She was kind of a kook. She was always printing out articles from the internet about the coming global crisis and concentration camps that the government was preparing. She told me she used to be really into drugs and she found religion. She picked the Mormon church because they would let her be with her family after she died. LOL.

Did you know she was planning to leave before you told her?

No.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
17-02-2014, 06:44 PM
(17-02-2014 06:39 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 06:27 PM)thedudette Wrote:  Do you find it difficult to move past it?

Not really, it ranks up there with the bazillion other things I hear on a daily basis that I could care less about ( my kids team won the soccer tournament, I only breast fed my child, homeschooling is the only way, she got a blue ribbon riding, we are going to Paris for spring break, my husband was on call all weekend, she didn't do my highlights and manicure just right, third grade kids with iPhones, iPods, heated pools, etc. ) I am exposed to wealthy soccer moms regularly- I do lots of secret eye rolling.

And for the record I am NOT one of them. You could fit my house in their garage! Lol. Happy that they can do what they wish, but yes, I do lots of eye rolling.

Why speak with them?
17-02-2014, 06:49 PM
My kids attend a small school, these are the other parents. The parents of the kids my children are friends with. I could ignore them, or I can learn to socialize with people who live in a different way so that I can be a parent involved at my child's school. Being involved means not only knowing the teachers, but also the other parents and working the fundraisers etc so that the school and our kids succeed.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
17-02-2014, 06:53 PM
(17-02-2014 06:49 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  My kids attend a small school, these are the other parents. The parents of the kids my children are friends with. I could ignore them, or I can learn to socialize with people who live in a different way so that I can be a parent involved at my child's school. Being involved means not only knowing the teachers, but also the other parents and working the fundraisers etc so that the school and our kids succeed.

I thought that was the case.
Still it must be difficult to befriend those that you find annoying.
Are there any like minded parents that you talk too?
17-02-2014, 06:58 PM
(17-02-2014 06:16 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I tend to keep quiet, just to keep from getting into arguments constantly. Then I mock what they're saying in my head.

Yeah. I wish they could hear me shred their beliefs with my rapier wit.

I had to bite my tongue when two sisters in law began discussing how it may have been an alien that impregnated Mary, making it perfectly logical and explaining everything. But mentally I was really tearing them new ones.

Then I come here to check if there is any sanity left in the world.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
17-02-2014, 07:00 PM
(17-02-2014 06:49 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  My kids attend a small school, these are the other parents. The parents of the kids my children are friends with. I could ignore them, or I can learn to socialize with people who live in a different way so that I can be a parent involved at my child's school. Being involved means not only knowing the teachers, but also the other parents and working the fundraisers etc so that the school and our kids succeed.

I went through similar when living in SC. It was especially difficult during the years my son played baseball. As a parent you spend a lot of time with the other parents of the team. Baseball teams are relatively small (not like football) and as the kids get older some drop away from sports. So, you end up with a core group of parents that you are often with multiple times a week. When you are the only heathen, you have to learn to take the religious comments with a grain of salt and try to keep things civil all around for the sake of your child and the team and your sanity.

Overall, I think that my devotion to the boys on the team and my willingness to help where it was needed made things a little better. Not that there was no eye-rolling on my part.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-02-2014, 07:01 PM
(17-02-2014 06:58 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 06:16 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I tend to keep quiet, just to keep from getting into arguments constantly. Then I mock what they're saying in my head.

Yeah. I wish they could hear me shred their beliefs with my rapier wit.

I had to bite my tongue when two sisters in law began discussing how it may have been an alien that impregnated Mary, making it perfectly logical and explaining everything. But mentally I was really tearing them new ones.

Then I come here to check if there is any sanity left in the world.

Shocking I would have loved to hear their logic behind that.