Do you find yourself more hostile or put off when...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2014, 07:02 PM
RE: Do you find yourself more hostile or put off when...
Yes, most of the time I'm very annoyed by it all because I live with my mother who is religious.. She likes to tell me these things that have to do with god. What I'm really thinking is...and you're telling me this because?...Or she will say things like I know you don't believe but I believe so n so is in a better place. Get her and my sister together and that is pure hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Yes, you just learn to focus on the parts you have in common, and let the rest go, in one ear out the other. When a particular person gets to be too much I just find a way to make myself busy with one of the kids or on the other side of the room.

This past Christmas I was able to share a few giggles with a mom that is from South Africa or London, she was chatting up a storm to me while everyone else around us was praying. After catching herself, we had a good laugh about it. It became very obvious that we were the non-believers in the crowd. So there are little bits that shine thru and makes some more fun to be around than others.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
17-02-2014, 07:09 PM
(17-02-2014 07:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 06:49 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  My kids attend a small school, these are the other parents. The parents of the kids my children are friends with. I could ignore them, or I can learn to socialize with people who live in a different way so that I can be a parent involved at my child's school. Being involved means not only knowing the teachers, but also the other parents and working the fundraisers etc so that the school and our kids succeed.

I went through similar when living in SC. It was especially difficult during the years my son played baseball. As a parent you spend a lot of time with the other parents of the team. Baseball teams are relatively small (not like football) and as the kids get older some drop away from sports. So, you end up with a core group of parents that you are often with multiple times a week. When you are the only heathen, you have to learn to take the religious comments with a grain of salt and try to keep things civil all around for the sake of your child and the team and your sanity.

Overall, I think that my devotion to the boys on the team and my willingness to help where it was needed made things a little better. Not that there was no eye-rolling on my part.

Exactly

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
17-02-2014, 07:10 PM
(17-02-2014 06:58 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 06:16 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I tend to keep quiet, just to keep from getting into arguments constantly. Then I mock what they're saying in my head.

Yeah. I wish they could hear me shred their beliefs with my rapier wit.

I had to bite my tongue when two sisters in law began discussing how it may have been an alien that impregnated Mary, making it perfectly logical and explaining everything. But mentally I was really tearing them new ones.

Then I come here to check if there is any sanity left in the world.

Shocking...You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking and that conversation didn't happen.
17-02-2014, 07:39 PM
(17-02-2014 07:10 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 06:58 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Yeah. I wish they could hear me shred their beliefs with my rapier wit.

I had to bite my tongue when two sisters in law began discussing how it may have been an alien that impregnated Mary, making it perfectly logical and explaining everything. But mentally I was really tearing them new ones.

Then I come here to check if there is any sanity left in the world.

Shocking...You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking and that conversation didn't happen.

Sorry, dead serious. Both good Catholic girls, but one had watched some alien program on History Channel, and......

I did a U-turn at that point and walked out of the room before I exploded.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
17-02-2014, 07:44 PM
(17-02-2014 07:39 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 07:10 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Shocking...You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking and that conversation didn't happen.

Sorry, dead serious. Both good Catholic girls, but one had watched some alien program on History Channel, and......

Ah I know the show. I was once talking about Egyptian mythology when someone brought up that aliens helped them make the pyramids.
17-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Somebody: I believe there is something out there.
Me: How so?
SB: The universe couldn't come from nothing/*citation of the einstein urbanlegend*/etc.
Me: Let me explain the flaws in your reasoning.
17-02-2014, 08:24 PM
(17-02-2014 07:39 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 07:10 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Shocking...You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking and that conversation didn't happen.

That was probably a smart move. I don't think it's possible to argue against that without dissolving into shouting "What is wrong with you!?" mode.
17-02-2014, 08:35 PM
(17-02-2014 05:55 PM)thedudette Wrote:  ...someone tells you that they believe in a god?

Do you automatically go into debate mode, or do you just let it go?

Do you think everyone should feel a certain way about this?

The apologetics have a strong library of word weasling with circular logic they believe is logical. This has spread into the sheep,
So now I sneak a debate in on the validity of opposing theists views just to get them to admit one of them is wrong. Leave the Atheism until they are de-Flooded.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
17-02-2014, 08:50 PM
I don't feel really flustered or bothered by it because most of everyone I know believes in god. It sends a ping in my heart though when I hear someone I didn't think was religious say something like "I'll pray for you". What gets me more is when they just assume I'm religious. Like a teacher I had for a craft class in university. For our final, we brought our project to her, she'd give us a grade, and talked to us one-on-one. After telling me my grade, she asked me what I wanted to do. I said I was planning on trying to write children's stories (I've always had some sort of whimsy so I thought that'd be up my alley). She looked me in the eyes, I think even took my hand, and told me that she knew that God had blessed me with a talent. That through my projects she knew god had given me a gift and that gift would take me far in life. I didn't say anything; my ex had recently broken up with me (the first person I ever got close with) so I just nodded so I could go back to shoving candy in my mouth and watching "Little Mosque on the Prairie" to keep myself from getting depressed. I still wonder if I did a good job keeping a poker face.

[Image: notagain.gif]