Do you find yourself more hostile or put off when...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2014, 08:53 PM
RE: Do you find yourself more hostile or put off when...
(17-02-2014 08:24 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 07:39 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Sorry, dead serious. Both good Catholic girls, but one had watched some alien program on History Channel, and......

I did a U-turn at that point and walked out of the room before I exploded.

That was probably a smart move. I don't think it's possible to argue against that without dissolving into shouting "What is wrong with you!?" mode.
Ah, the kind of people that make me feel a little smarterer. I'm just glad you could escape with your sanity or whatever was left of it.

[Image: notagain.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2014, 08:53 PM
I tend to just be a little more skeptical of what they say but I don't ignore them or anything.
17-02-2014, 09:07 PM
I don't get it. The large majority of people in the US profess belief in a god. Most are good people and reasonably intelligent. If you're going to be hostile to them because of this single issue you're going to be pretty antisocial. I really hope most atheists aren't like this as it would fit perfectly with the stereotypes we are trying to overcome.
17-02-2014, 09:09 PM
(17-02-2014 08:24 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 07:39 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Sorry, dead serious. Both good Catholic girls, but one had watched some alien program on History Channel, and......

I did a U-turn at that point and walked out of the room before I exploded.

That was probably a smart move. I don't think it's possible to argue against that without dissolving into shouting "What is wrong with you!?" mode.

What crossed my mind was more like, "Are you fucking stupid?" But I like my mother in law and she would have been a bit put off.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
17-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Unless it is someone I don't know trying to persuade me, I generally don't say anything at all, much like a response to a racist joke, I just let it hang there in silence, and then change the subject. It is not a remotely acceptable topic at work. With friends, I just don't want to go there. If pushed, I usually say I am not religious and don't engage on the subject beyond that.

If someone asks sincere questions, I'll probably answer, but that is pretty rare.
17-02-2014, 10:32 PM
(17-02-2014 05:55 PM)thedudette Wrote:  ...someone tells you that they believe in a god?

Do you automatically go into debate mode, or do you just let it go?

Do you think everyone should feel a certain way about this?
Most of the time, I will let it go. Debates are usually a waste of time unless they happen in the right situation. IMO.
17-02-2014, 10:43 PM
(17-02-2014 05:55 PM)thedudette Wrote:  ...someone tells you that they believe in a god?

I don't mind someone having a religion or believing in a god. That's them, not me, and I won't feel the urge to debate anything unless it concerns me.

It's when they start the "omg go to church with me it will be so fun we'll pray and stuff" that I just slam my head into a wall and from that point on it's pretty obvious how I feel about the topic.
17-02-2014, 11:08 PM

Other than online, I can't recall that ever happening. I don't bring religion up, and if someone starts hinting at it - which they almost always do before jumping into religious conversation, I completely ignore the hints.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
17-02-2014, 11:09 PM
(17-02-2014 10:43 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  

It's when they start the "omg go to church with me it will be so fun we'll pray and stuff" that I just slam my head into a wall and from that point on it's pretty obvious how I feel about the topic.

Blush So uhm, Ferdi, I know this is sudden and all, but there's this thing at my church and I'd love for you to join! It'll be fun! We could pray and stuff, that way we don't get tempted to sin at makeout point like the rest of those heathens Blush

Nah, but seriously, in relation to the OP; it depends on the theist involved.
If it's just a passing remark with no hidden agenda behind it then I'll let it pass.
But if it's one of those holier-than-thou snark remarks, I've been known to make a scene out of their stupidity. But then, of course, I'm only 19 and don't know what I'm talking about. Obviously! Cause age totally is synonymous with wisdom Dodgy

I still remember when my dad tried to ague the concept of inertia with me while I was taking physics in high school. I embarrassed him in front of his church friends at the restaurant. He deserved it. True story Drinking Beverage

Atir aissom atir imon
18-02-2014, 12:15 AM
(17-02-2014 11:09 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  But then, of course, I'm only 19 and don't know what I'm talking about. Obviously! Cause age totally is synonymous with wisdom Dodgy

I still remember when my dad tried to ague the concept of inertia with me while I was taking physics in high school. I embarrassed him in front of his church friends at the restaurant. He deserved it. True story Drinking Beverage

...if you were older, you would probably have realized that embarrasing your dad in front of his friends over something as silly as this, is far from wisdom. Wink

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.