Do you find yourself more hostile or put off when...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2014, 01:45 AM
RE: Do you find yourself more hostile or put off when...
(17-02-2014 05:55 PM)thedudette Wrote:  ...someone tells you that they believe in a god?

Do you automatically go into debate mode, or do you just let it go?

Do you think everyone should feel a certain way about this?

It depends on how the god reference is brought up in conversation, but it usually elicits an eye-roll because it's usually being used as a crutch.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2014, 02:26 AM
(17-02-2014 06:28 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  She told me she used to be really into drugs and she found religion.

I can't help but notice yet again the distinct and common correlation between harmful addictive substance abuse and religion. It seems that in order to get clean, people find religion, and in order to rebel against religion, people get totally fucked up. The cycle can repeat endlessly, with added benefits. The repentant sinner feels better, and is looked at better, when he has something significant to repent of. The strung out user feels awful, and is looked at even worse, when he contemplates the holy individual he is when he isn't using. Each side of the coin intensifies the emotion and attentive power of the other.

(17-02-2014 06:28 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  She picked the Mormon church because they would let her be with her family after she died. LOL.

I was raised a Mormon, which gave me plenty of opportunities to hear this kind of talk among members. Some people feel comfortable shopping religions, as though they are an item of clothing to be worn when the mood takes us, but cast away in moments of passion and adventure. In particular I will always remember the attitude of my parents towards "those kind of people", the kind who didn't take our religion seriously. We treated them with dishonest kindness, while privately considering them to be weak, soft, and ungodly.

I still find the "shopping" method to be silly, but it is very telling to me now when I remember how I was trained as a boy to judge them. That's religion for you.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
18-02-2014, 02:45 AM
(17-02-2014 05:55 PM)thedudette Wrote:  ...someone tells you that they believe in a god?

When discussing god or religion with a believer, I follow a set of guidelines that I have set up for myself.

1. Always be honest in identifying as an Atheist.
2. Treat your discussion partner with courtesy and respect.
3. Leave any discussion or company that does not treat you with courtesy and respect. Do not allow yourself to be treated poorly.
4. Have a clear goal for the discussion. Be honest with yourself about what is possible and what is likely to come of the discussion.
5. Listen better than you speak.

These probably seem rather basic, but they work very well for me.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Phoenix's post
18-02-2014, 03:49 AM
I don't become hostile unless I'm provoked. I don't even react if someone tells me they believe, but if they keep on talking about it I might throw a light, non provocative question or comment.

Sometimes it's better to clear things up before reacting. I don't know if you know about the Evil Eye but it's a very common thing to try to "get rid of it" here in everyday life.

So back when I had a crush on my current boyfriend I saw him doing the customary procedure to take away the Evil Eye off of someone else, doing the "cross in the air" thing. I immediately felt all my attraction to him slipping away, but when I asked him if he was serious about that he said "No but hey, it works as mental suggestion."

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
18-02-2014, 03:59 AM

I usually find that it is the opposite. People get hostile and defensive when they find out I don't believe in god. Suddenly I become a threat for some reason. It's ok to be a Sunday school Christian while cursing and drinking and living a life of sin Monday-Friday. It is ok to be non-religious, or to be some other religion so long as you believe in a god. It isn't okay to be atheist though. It is offensive for some reason. I usually don't tell people I am atheist.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
18-02-2014, 07:47 AM

Strange, but when people look at me, the last thing they will bring up is religion Huh

Most folks around here will brings up politics, we got the Fox news bunch here, and they will get their asses handed to them in a New York minute by me or the 1 buddy I ride with..... if it gets to religion at all, it will be put to rest even quicker. Wink

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
18-02-2014, 08:19 AM

Considerings I am still in the closet I smile and nod. My kids go to catholic schools so I am around a lot of people that believe in god. My two girls are in the band at high school and I am a roddie for them so I stand respectfully quite while they pray and stuff. The other parents that help out are good people and I see no reason to debate a sensitive issue with them. Since I do not participate in the prayers and stuff I am sure some parents have noticed and are wondering what is up with me.

I do not think every sensitive subject need to be debated with every person that has an opposing view. No reason to be unnecessarily confrontational.
18-02-2014, 08:20 AM
To get to "hostility" you'd need to do worse than talk about your religion. If I can steer the conversation toward interesting aspects of religion, like history or doctrine, I can have a non-boring conversation with a believer. We can talk about Martin Luther and Oliver Cromwell and even Saint Augustine and Emperor Constantine. We can debate whether Saint Thomas Becket needed to die to bring church authority and the political authority of the rule of law into balance. Mendel is always a favorite subject, as he was a scientist whose discoveries were initially ridiculed because of his religious beliefs.

I do the best I can to not be a snob. I've been on the receiving end of snobbery and it's unpleasant enough I won't inflict it on others until after I've exhausted my possibilities for interesting conversation. I won't suffer a boring conversation under any circumstances within my control, but I'll at least try to make the best of the situation before retreating to the punchbowl.
18-02-2014, 08:30 AM
(18-02-2014 12:15 AM)toadaly Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 11:09 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  But then, of course, I'm only 19 and don't know what I'm talking about. Obviously! Cause age totally is synonymous with wisdom Dodgy

I still remember when my dad tried to ague the concept of inertia with me while I was taking physics in high school. I embarrassed him in front of his church friends at the restaurant. He deserved it. True story Drinking Beverage

...if you were older, you would probably have realized that embarrasing your dad in front of his friends over something as silly as this, is far from wisdom. Wink

So when someone calls you out and makes fun of your knowledge of science in order to entertain his church buddies, you're telling me you'd just sit there and take it?
Well sir, I'll have to admit, you're a better man than I...

Atir aissom atir imon
18-02-2014, 08:30 AM
(18-02-2014 03:49 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I don't become hostile unless I'm provoked. I don't even react if someone tells me they believe, but if they keep on talking about it I might throw a light, non provocative question or comment.

Sometimes it's better to clear things up before reacting. I don't know if you know about the Evil Eye but it's a very common thing to try to "get rid of it" here in everyday life.

So back when I had a crush on my current boyfriend I saw him doing the customary procedure to take away the Evil Eye off of someone else, doing the "cross in the air" thing. I immediately felt all my attraction to him slipping away, but when I asked him if he was serious about that he said "No but hey, it works as mental suggestion."

He's so silly. Doesn't he realize that nothing works against the Evil Eye? No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post