Do you get pissed when Christians ignore you when pointing out the obvious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Do you get pissed when Christians ignore you when pointing out the obvious?
So someone you know constantly tells you the bible is perfect and God is good. Then you say you're an atheist and don't believe in it and quote scripture like Psalms 137:9, Deuteronomy 22:28-29, Luke 14:26, 2 Kings 2:23-24, and Numbers 15:32-36. Then the theist basically sticks their fingers in their ears and says "La La La, I'm not listening." Then they whine and say they are being persecuted while also saying all other religions and gays go to hell. Then they also try to tell you that you are the bad guy while ignoring all the brutal quotes you just mentioned. Does this piss you off?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2016, 10:06 PM
RE: Do you get pissed when Christians ignore you when pointing out the obvious?
Holy shit this happened to me yesterday with my wife.

She was talking about this service project her MOPS group was doing where they were making shoes for people in Africa who don't have any and therefore suffer terribly from foot parasites. She was saying that the people thought that the person with the parasites was shunned because they believe that the parasites were caused by demons. I had to point out the irony that these missionaries wre basically telling tham the same crap except that the Africans were blaming the wrong thing.

This led into a short little discussion on where disease came from. It was really interesting to watch her blow me off. That was a piece of irony completely lost on her.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
05-05-2016, 10:17 PM
I just don't bother worrying about stuff like that. The world is just a big chess board. I have my goals, they have theirs. Whether they're rational or not, the only productive course of action is to use what you know about their decision making process to anticipate their actions and whether or not those actions will be relevant to your objectives and, if so, how you should modify your own actions accordingly. I don't bother making my desire for them to agree with me an emotional issue with no other purpose than introducing unnecessarily drama into my life. Befriend them in spite of their faults, ignore them, or destroy them and move on Drinking Beverage

'Murican Canadian
05-05-2016, 11:41 PM
I don't talk with believers IRL but such denial I suppose would make me pity person blind to the facts. Being angry at indoctrinated people is unproductive, though some kinds of religious idiocy can easily go under my skin.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
06-05-2016, 03:01 AM
I only tend to engage when a theist says or claims something outrageous. When I do I tend to adopt a Socratic approach as from experience this seems to get them to think through what they've just claimed rather than immediately go on the defensive and stick their fingers in their ears.

I must say that more often than not they still get to the fingers-in-ears-stage but it takes them a bit longer and maybe sows the seeds of rationality.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
10-05-2016, 03:21 AM
I do in fact. When I lay out Deuteronomy and Leviticus and all the other evil crap in the bible, my friend all of the sudden goes like, Well 90% of that is Catholics and stuff. You are making up lies.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
10-05-2016, 03:37 AM
I quoted this yesterday and find I must do so again.

When dealing in depth with a xian, one must first understand the bible and xian history, and remember these sage words from Julian. And do not allow leeway.

Now since I intend to treat of all their first dogmas, as they call them, I wish to say in the first place that if my readers desire to try to refute me they must proceed as if they were in a court of law and not drag in irrelevant matter, or, as the saying is, bring counter-charges until they have defended their own views. For thus it will be better and clearer if, when they wish to censure any views of mine, they undertake that as a separate task, but when they are defending themselves against my censure, they bring no counter-charges.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.