Do you give blood?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2012, 04:07 AM
RE: Do you give blood?
I just watch to the other side and ask them to cover it once it’s running.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2012, 04:55 AM
I used to give blood regularly
B+
But I got iron deficiency from that after a time. So for the moment I am not.

On the other hand I do not want to receive blood. My hun once asked me if I would accept blood at least from him (he has B+ too), I would accept his. I simply don't trust that system of testing donated blood enough that I would like to get some blood from a person that might not be healthy, and I know that my hun is a healthy man.

About being scared of needles. I used to have that, too. But for me it was more important that someone will survive because I and others gave blood. Then I saw the big needle and then I felt that it doesn't even really hurt because the tip is very sharp and those people are trained people that know where to put this needle Smile

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2012, 09:28 AM
I actually enjoy watching the needle go in and the blood immediately pour out. Weird I know, haha. As for someone who can't handle it, you just need to think about the situation the person who needs the blood is in, it's for the greater good!

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
[+] 2 users Like NotSoVacuous's post
02-01-2012, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 06:36 PM by cufflink.)
Tried to. They won't have me.

The day after 9/11 there was a big blood drive at my university (when they still thought blood would be needed at Ground Zero) and I got in a long line of students, faculty, staff, and alums. When I got to the front, I handed my filled-out questionnaire to the Red Cross person and began to roll up my sleeve. And that was as far as I got.

The questionnaire had asked about sexuality, and I had answered honestly. It turned out the American Red Cross had a policy (still in effect, by the way) of not accepting the blood of sexually active gay men. It made no difference that I was in a super-long-term, monogamous relationship, and that my partner and I were both HIV negative. You're a gay guy and non-celibate? Forget it. The Red Cross doesn't want your red stuff. The official seemed genuinely embarrassed to have to turn me away, explaining that she personally disagreed with the policy but had to follow it. That was the most overt instance of anti-gay discrimination I've ever faced.

So I said to myself, screw 'em. It's their loss.

They could have at least given me the orange juice and the cookie, though. Big Grin

ETA: After doing more research, I learned that the American Red Cross bans gay male blood donors only because the RC has to follow the directives of the FDA (Food and Drug Administration). The Red Cross has actually been lobbying for the ban to be lifted. So I wanted to correct the record.

If anyone is interested, further information can be found in these articles:

May 2007: American Red Cross Fights Ban on Gays’ Blood

June 2010: Ban on gay blood donors upheld

Oct. 2011: Red Cross wants gay blood, too

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
02-01-2012, 01:18 PM
(02-01-2012 11:22 AM)cufflink Wrote:  Tried to. They won't have me.

The day after 9/11 there was a big blood drive at my university (when they still thought blood would be needed at Ground Zero) and I got in a long line of students, faculty, staff, and alums. When I got to the front, I handed my filled-out questionnaire to the Red Cross person and began to roll up my sleeve. And that was as far as I got.

The questionnaire had asked about sexuality, and I had answered honestly. It turned out the American Red Cross had a policy (still in effect, by the way) of not accepting the blood of sexually active gay men. It made no difference that I was in a super-long-term, monogamous relationship, and that my partner and I were both HIV negative. You're a gay guy and non-celibate? Forget it. The Red Cross doesn't want your red stuff. The official seemed genuinely embarrassed to have to turn me away, explaining that she personally disagreed with the policy but had to follow it. That was the most overt instance of anti-gay discrimination I've ever faced.

They could have at least given me the orange juice and the cookie, though. Big Grin

I'm not sure if it's an exclusion or not, because it doesn't apply to me, but I think the question is still on the form when you go to give. I had an acquaintance excluded when we went together because he lived in Europe during a certain time period. (Ha, at least that's what he said. Could be the same reason you were excluded, CL, only he didn't want us to know! Smile )

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
02-01-2012, 01:24 PM
(02-01-2012 04:01 AM)ddrew Wrote:  
(02-01-2012 03:03 AM)riseinside Wrote:  I don't but I do wish I could. Needles are just not something I can handle. I've tried though.

dude.... needles are nothing... just don't think about it...

everytime I get pricked... for a blood test or donation... just think about other things.. somthing positive that brings a smile to your face.... past good times with family... or you can think about whatever... seriously ... man the fuck up.. it's just a needle .. they not cuttting off your arm or anything... just a pin prick.. it's all in the mind really. If you convince yerself that the needle posses no threat... you can overcome it.. Just think that your superior to that needle.. your in control.

Your a beast ... you've got the balls or what? now get yer ass down there and let them suck you dry of blood damnit! Move it... someone's life is depending on it!

lol I like that mentality. For me it has a lot to do with getting allergy shots every week growing up then having a military doctor stick with me a needle, pull it half way out and move it. Will never forget that feeling.

Maybe ill have to take your advice and give blood. Ill have to work up to it though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2012, 08:43 PM
(02-01-2012 03:50 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(02-01-2012 03:07 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I couldn't for awhile, pregnancy and BF. But I'll start again soon. A+

Pregnancy? When is your due date?

It was 1.5 years ago. Then I breast fed, so couldn't donate. I will again soon, a travel clinic will come to our hometown.

Pets can donate blood too, for other pets! Our dog had a life saving blood transfusion after two emergency surgeries. So thankful for the other pup and his owner's consent!
02-01-2012, 08:48 PM
(02-01-2012 09:28 AM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I actually enjoy watching the needle go in and the blood immediately pour out. Weird I know, haha. As for someone who can't handle it, you just need to think about the situation the person who needs the blood is in, it's for the greater good!

I used to give blood; o-pos x 61 donations over about 40 years.

in Australia you get cake, drink or party pies aftrwards. It is also handy to check your iron levels and blood pressure.
03-01-2012, 07:46 AM
I gave a few times. Not more often because Romanians are morons. They wanted me to wrap my schedule around theirs if I want them to accept my blood. Invariably they needed me to miss the busiest part of my work day and/or wake up much earlier than I would have normally. If I wanted to walk in from the street: here's my vein, see what you can drain from it, I was way too late, come tomorrow. I was never able to understand why it's so difficult to donate when they claim they desperately need blood. And I'm sure they are horribly under-supplied because the law makes it extremely advantageous to the donor (when he/she actually manages to synchronize schedules with a bunch of bored nurses).

In Romania you get food stamps (worth many-many liters of orange juice, cakes and pies), one mandatory free day from work (to be chosen by the employee, paid and not influencing vacation or medical leave days) plus free wide range medical tests (std's, HIV, cholesterol, immunity, blood pressure, pulse, blood type, serology) plus additional free tests if something looks suspicious. They got this part right. Making it convenient for the donors, not so much.

B+ here.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
04-01-2012, 02:19 AM
(02-01-2012 11:22 AM)cufflink Wrote:  That was the most overt instance of anti-gay discrimination I've ever faced.

I missed this earlier and just read now.

Sorry you were discriminated against like this, and so openly. I can imagine your shock. I have been discriminated against before and I remember feeling so shocked and then later being so upset. That was nice of the lady to empathize with you. Hopefully they can change this rule in blood donations, especially seeing as there is a vaccination for HIV in the prospects.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post