Do you give blood?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2012, 05:50 AM
RE: Do you give blood?
I gave blood once. My dad tricked me into going - hoping to help get me over my fear of needles. It didn't work.

My Blog
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 12:03 PM
I wish I could, but apparently I spent too much time in Britain during the mad cow disease times, and they don't want my blood. Sad

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
04-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Yes, I have given many times - they like my A+ blood.

However, I haven't done so recently due to some medications I'm taking.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2012, 01:41 PM
lol no

My blood is pretty useless.

AB+

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-01-2012, 04:45 PM
I always went to the public health department to donate.
They had some shortbread, coke, and juices for afterwards and would not let you leave unless they saw that you are ok.
Like you had to stay on the bed for 10 more minutes after donation and sit at the table for 15 more minutes.
Once I had a friend with me. She knew I was donating regulary and she wanted to try it, too. So she was doing ok so far. Afterwards we sat there and I saw how she was getting unconcious. I still remember asking "Are you allright?" and she answered "yeah, i am ok" and when she was done saying that she slid down from her chair. o.O She needed a infusion after donating o.O

Cool thing actually when you are finally allowed to leave you get either 20 Euro or a gift Smile And you could even decide what gift, a pack with food, a cooking book, etc... there was a small selection

The other thing, they were also always asking for people willing to donate blood plasma (only taking one part of your blood and pumping the rest back into you. So I offered to do that. But they didn't want mine. They said that my blood group is not very useful for this. huh?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
04-01-2012, 04:48 PM
(04-01-2012 04:45 PM)Leela Wrote:  I always went to the public health department to donate.
They had some shortbread, coke, and juices for afterwards and would not let you leave unless they saw that you are ok.
Like you had to stay on the bed for 10 more minutes after donation and sit at the table for 15 more minutes.
Once I had a friend with me. She knew I was donating regulary and she wanted to try it, too. So she was doing ok so far. Afterwards we sat there and I saw how she was getting unconcious. I still remember asking "Are you allright?" and she answered "yeah, i am ok" and when she was done saying that she slid down from her chair. o.O She needed a infusion after donating o.O

Cool thing actually when you are finally allowed to leave you get either 20 Euro or a gift Smile And you could even decide what gift, a pack with food, a cooking book, etc... there was a small selection

The other thing, they were also always asking for people willing to donate blood plasma (only taking one part of your blood and pumping the rest back into you. So I offered to do that. But they didn't want mine. They said that my blood group is not very useful for this. huh?

Yeah, I was told the same thing. AB blood is relatively useless as only AB patients can receive it, which is pointless since AB patients can receive anything.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-01-2012, 04:57 PM
(04-01-2012 04:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, I was told the same thing. AB blood is relatively useless as only AB patients can receive it, which is pointless since AB patients can receive anything.
But the doc there told me that B+ is pretty rare and that is why they would need that because it is rarer than the universal one (0+ ??) and they'd rather give the correct blood type blahblah, so I still don't understand why they would take my blood as a whole but not a part of it Huh

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
04-01-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm an O+ too, but can't donate. Diabetic, plus I smoke weed (I assume that would be no-no #2)

I make up for it by volunteering at the nursing faculty by allowing students to learn to give needles (IV, IM, and sub C) on me. I also have two dogs that are big enough to be donors, so they go whenever they can. (I still get emails from a family whos dog was saved because my border collie X gave an emergency donation in the middle of the night a few years back)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
04-01-2012, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 07:19 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-01-2012 04:58 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm an O+ too, but can't donate. Diabetic, plus I smoke weed (I assume that would be no-no #2)

Neither of those preclude me from donating. I donate a couple of times a year to lower my hemoglobin and hematocrit which testosterone therapy tends to increase. Kinda like a therapeutic phlebotomy for me (not to be confused with a therapeutic lobotomy, I'm still on the waiting list for that). Win-win. O+ btw.

The only diabetics precluded by the Red Cross (in the US at least) are those who've used bovine insulin since 1980 from the UK (mad cow risk). I'm not (yet, at least) insulin-dependent. If that's you then you must be a longtime Type 1 diabetic.

And they don't even ask about recreational drug use, just intravenous drug use. ... Which brings up a question for our resident weed pharmacologist. You ever heard of IV THC usage?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Type 1 diabetic since I was 12 (36 now), and I take an "experimental" insulin.

I just assumed they asked bout weed. Guess I'm paranoid.

Injecting THC works, but it has to be artificially metabolized first. Or something akin to that. Not terribly familiar with the procedure, since it's so expensive to do that only people doing research bother. But that talk belongs in The Official Cannabis thread.

So many cats, so few good recipes.