Do you give blood?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2012, 07:47 PM
RE: Do you give blood?
(04-01-2012 12:03 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  I wish I could, but apparently I spent too much time in Britain during the mad cow disease times, and they don't want my blood. Sad

Oh! So there really is a valid reason for that exclusion. I thought my acquaintance was making it up to get out of giving.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 08:49 PM
im thinking about doing it, given my recent atheism i realised that i have a duty to give back.
will they accept smoker blood and platelets though?

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
04-01-2012, 08:56 PM
(04-01-2012 07:38 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  But that talk belongs in The Official Cannabis thread.

Done.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
04-01-2012, 09:44 PM
(04-01-2012 08:49 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  im thinking about doing it, given my recent atheism i realised that i have a duty to give back.

Yes.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2012, 05:31 AM
(04-01-2012 08:49 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  im thinking about doing it, given my recent atheism i realised that i have a duty to give back.

I think all they ask is that you don't smoke that day before you donate, but that may have more to do with your own safety. Definitely no alcohol at least 1-2 days before. Anyway, I was a smoker when I donated and all they asked is that I have no alcohol, medicine or drugs in my system.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
05-01-2012, 06:50 PM
(04-01-2012 02:19 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(02-01-2012 11:22 AM)cufflink Wrote:  That was the most overt instance of anti-gay discrimination I've ever faced.

So I said to myself, screw 'em. It's their loss.

They could have at least given me the orange juice and the cookie, though. Big Grin

I missed this earlier and just read now.

Sorry you were discriminated against like this, and so openly. I can imagine your shock. I have been discriminated against before and I remember feeling so shocked and then later being so upset. That was nice of the lady to empathize with you. Hopefully they can change this rule in blood donations, especially seeing as there is a vaccination for HIV in the prospects.

Thanks, LJ. Smile

I'm as invested as anyone in keeping the blood supply safe. After all, none of us knows when we'll need a transfusion. But there are better ways of screening donors than the present policy. How about looking at behavior, say, rather than sexual orientation? You've had a dozen different partners this month? That's one thing. You're in a long-standing monogamous relationship with another healthy person? That's quite another. That distinction is a lot more relevant than whether you're straight, bi, or gay.

BTW, I discovered that the Red Cross actually wants the policy to be changed. It's the FDA that refuses to lift the ban. So I corrected my original post to that effect.

As for the shock of being on the receiving end of discrimination, well . . . there may be some value in that. It gives one a taste of what members of other groups experience much more frequently.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
05-01-2012, 07:02 PM
(04-01-2012 07:47 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(04-01-2012 12:03 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  I wish I could, but apparently I spent too much time in Britain during the mad cow disease times, and they don't want my blood. Sad

Oh! So there really is a valid reason for that exclusion. I thought my acquaintance was making it up to get out of giving.

No excuse, they will really refuse you for it. Sad

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
06-01-2012, 07:30 AM
(05-01-2012 06:50 PM)cufflink Wrote:  I'm as invested as anyone in keeping the blood supply safe. After all, none of us knows when we'll need a transfusion. But there are better ways of screening donors than the present policy. How about looking at behavior, say, rather than sexual orientation? You've had a dozen different partners this month? That's one thing. You're in a long-standing monogamous relationship with another healthy person? That's quite another. That distinction is a lot more relevant than whether you're straight, bi, or gay.

You're right. That is a stupid rule. I guess there are enough morons out there who would reject your tainted gay blood. Maybe they catch the gays from you, who knows?

Those people don't deserve to have their lives saved. First because they're assholes and second because they're infected with stupid and self-destructive ideas. To paraphrase George Carlin, every time a bunch of holy people want to die for their ideas, I'm a happy guy.

For the rest of us, that rule needs to go. Religion and bigotry don't belong in the same room with medicine.

I completely understand that you're offended. You should be. I'm offended too. Who the fuck are these people to use stupid arbitrary reasons for rejecting blood that I may need?

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
06-01-2012, 08:43 AM
(04-01-2012 04:58 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm an O+ too, but can't donate. Diabetic, plus I smoke weed (I assume that would be no-no #2)

(04-01-2012 07:38 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Type 1 diabetic since I was 12 (36 now), and I take an "experimental" insulin.

I thought I couldn't donate for a long time due to my diabetes, but as Girly mentioned, it doesn't disqualify you. Type 1 since I was 9 (30 now), and finally got around to donating a few months ago during a company blood drive. I'm O Negative.

I'm curious, if I may ask, what the "experimental" insulin is that you're on? I take Novolog through a pump.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
06-01-2012, 08:44 AM
I would give mine but it is so full of drugs they wouldn't want it. I take large amounts of Oxycontin 3 times a day. It is prescribed by my Dr. And other opiates. I have titanium rods holding my back strait and up. I'm in constant pain even with the drugs so I don't want to hear it. If you take Oxycontin the way it was prescribed it can be a life changing drug. I've been on it for 15 years. I've never got out of control on it, Only people with weak minds and will power do. I would think it is allot like drinking. If you let it get out of control you will be f**ked.