Do you give blood?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2012, 09:05 AM
RE: Do you give blood?
(06-01-2012 08:43 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  
(04-01-2012 04:58 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm an O+ too, but can't donate. Diabetic, plus I smoke weed (I assume that would be no-no #2)

(04-01-2012 07:38 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Type 1 diabetic since I was 12 (36 now), and I take an "experimental" insulin.

I thought I couldn't donate for a long time due to my diabetes, but as Girly mentioned, it doesn't disqualify you. Type 1 since I was 9 (30 now), and finally got around to donating a few months ago during a company blood drive. I'm O Negative.

I'm curious, if I may ask, what the "experimental" insulin is that you're on? I take Novolog through a pump.

I take a Novolin that is similar to Novorapid, but is made to last a little longer (novorapid kicks in fast and burns out faster! lol) It's approved, but not yet on the market. So they have to consider it experimental, even though it really isn't. It's just trials to see if there will be enough popularity to put it on the market.

To be honest, I think when the trial is over, I'll go back to novorapid and NPH. Liked that better, and then I could give blood again!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2012, 09:24 AM
(06-01-2012 08:44 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  ... I've never got out of control on it, Only people with weak minds and will power do. I would think it is allot like drinking. If you let it get out of control you will be f**ked.

You don't understand addiction, my friend. It's not about weak minds or lack of will power.
That's ignorance speaking - please learn about addiction before making more incorrect, judgmental statements.

Be thankful that you are less prone to addiction than most, but it's not anything to brag about - it's just chemistry.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-01-2012, 09:25 AM
(06-01-2012 09:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-01-2012 08:44 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  ... I've never got out of control on it, Only people with weak minds and will power do. I would think it is allot like drinking. If you let it get out of control you will be f**ked.

You don't understand addiction, my friend. It's not about weak minds or lack of will power.
That's ignorance speaking - please learn about addiction before making more incorrect, judgmental statements.

Be thankful that you are less prone to addiction than most, but it's not anything to brag about - it's just chemistry.

Speaking from experience... Chas is right.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
06-01-2012, 09:20 PM
(06-01-2012 09:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-01-2012 09:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Speaking from experience... Chas is right.

Ditto.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-01-2012, 09:31 PM
(06-01-2012 09:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Speaking from experience... Chas is right.

Off topic, but I just thought this moment in time ought to be preserved.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Ive tried it a couple times as a college undergrad but stopped after three times. the money i recieve is non rewarding. 25 goes a long way as a college student but giving blood gave me munchies. and i smash the mc donalds next door which i bet its purpose .......hmm DAMN you to hell Uncle sam...you damn dirty ape lol
08-01-2012, 10:51 PM
I used to, all the time. But they won't let me now. I lived in Germany in the mid 80's and it's a mad cow thing. If they ever come up with a blood test for it, I can donate again.
09-01-2012, 11:14 AM
(08-01-2012 10:51 PM)socken Wrote:  I used to, all the time. But they won't let me now. I lived in Germany in the mid 80's and it's a mad cow thing. If they ever come up with a blood test for it, I can donate again.

I used to give blood too at the blood-mobile busses that sometimes come around in our area. But I went to a hospital once to donate and then went through a list of questions. One of them had to do with living in Europe during the 80's. Since I lived in Italy from 1981 until about 1984 they had me permanently deferred from giving blood. I never knew the actually reason why... I wonder if that's it- mad cow.

Anyway I'm type O+ and would like to give blood again but I can't. Sad
(08-01-2012 06:22 PM)Anti1ndocrination Wrote:  Ive tried it a couple times as a college undergrad but stopped after three times. the money i recieve is non rewarding. 25 goes a long way as a college student but giving blood gave me munchies. and i smash the mc donalds next door which i bet its purpose .......hmm DAMN you to hell Uncle sam...you damn dirty ape lol

I thought you donated blood, didn't think they paid you for it. I thought they only did that for plasma or whatever. I'm speaking from ignorance here though...
09-01-2012, 02:43 PM
I used to give blood all of the time while serving in the military. But after I went overseas, I had to wait 3 years before I could do it again. It's probably been 8 years since the last time I donated.
12-01-2012, 07:22 AM
I was told I couldn't give blood anymore so I haven't tried. Things may be different or something. Maybe I was just misinformed. Reason I was told I couldn't was because of the countries I've been too and maybe possibly because I've had various injections? I don't think my Anthrax immunizations have anything to do with it either.

Maybe I'll find out the next blood drive they have. I don't mind giving up excess blood. I have A neg.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!