Do you guys drink tea? How much is it there?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2013, 08:47 AM
RE: Do you guys drink tea? How much is it there?
(23-05-2013 01:14 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  HU, have you heard the American colloquialism that goes:

"What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?"

Just thought it fit well here. Drinking Beverage

I think you will find that that is an English colloquialism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like joben1's post
24-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Trying to lose weight.
So I drink 4 or 5 mugs of green tea per day.
The brand is called Twinings, it's got pure Green, Green with Earl Grey, Green with Jasmin and Green with lemon.
It comes in boxes of 25 bags for 1 cup.
Costs about 2.50 - 3 euros per box.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
24-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Junyuan (and others I suppose),

I don't know if you are familiar with the different tea cultures between China and the west. In China it seems typical that you add leaves to your cup in the morning and pour hot water over them from time to time during the day as you drink tea off the top. If you happen to swallow a leaf here or there - no problem Smile

In the west tea would usually be served in a tea bag which would be used once or twice. Each time you would put the bag into the cup, let it steep for a few minutes, then remove the bag and drink the tea left behind.

There are a lot of different ways and using teapots are also common, I suppose to both... but that's the main difference I notice in office environments. That's why Chinese people tend to have better cups that retain heat well through the day to keep their tea warm.

If I'm drinking tea I prefer the Chinese way, but it is difficult to get the quality of tea you perhaps take for granted in China. Where I live the coffee is pretty good, and usually better than the tea I can get locally. I have a local coffee bean roaster and a basic espresso machine that makes a reasonable cup of coffee.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
24-05-2013, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2013 01:25 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
(24-05-2013 03:21 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Junyuan (and others I suppose),

I don't know if you are familiar with the different tea cultures between China and the west. In China it seems typical that you add leaves to your cup in the morning and pour hot water over them from time to time during the day as you drink tea off the top. If you happen to swallow a leaf here or there - no problem Smile

In the west tea would usually be served in a tea bag which would be used once or twice. Each time you would put the bag into the cup, let it steep for a few minutes, then remove the bag and drink the tea left behind.

There are a lot of different ways and using teapots are also common, I suppose to both... but that's the main difference I notice in office environments. That's why Chinese people tend to have better cups that retain heat well through the day to keep their tea warm.

If I'm drinking tea I prefer the Chinese way, but it is difficult to get the quality of tea you perhaps take for granted in China. Where I live the coffee is pretty good, and usually better than the tea I can get locally. I have a local coffee bean roaster and a basic espresso machine that makes a reasonable cup of coffee.

Tea of best qualities is expensive all around the world. There was once when 20 grams of the Wuyi Dahongpao was sold for 34 grant on an auction. But we do have a bigger variety of choices at cheaper prices.

I normally just simply put the loose tea leaves and pour in some warm water. And I have to clean the cup every time I drink tea. So I really think the invention of the tea bag is pretty awesome.

But there indeed are different types of tea ceremonies, both in China and in Japan. You do get better experiences with tea this way. Yet the tea ceremony is more of a way of enjoy peace and an opportunity to explore the inner world in your heart.

And I have hints that might help when you drink tea.

[1] Amount of the tea leaves.If the tea leaves take up 2-3% of the total volume, the taste is usually better, neither too thick nor too thin.
[2] Water temperature. Boiling water for black tea, warm water (65℃~75℃) for green tea.
[3] Steeping time. Normally that's two minutes for the first steep. And it also depends on the tea-to-water ratio and how thick you want the tea to be.

You get 55% solubles and 80% of the nutrients (vitamins and amino acids ) in the first steep, 30% solubles the second time, 15% the third, less than 1% the fourth.

Besides,
[1] Drink tea that has been made for at least one month's time.
[2] Drink tea only when it tastes OK.
[3] If the quality of the tea leaves isn't that good, rinse it with warm water for 30s or so to get rid of potentially harmful contents.
[4] Mind the steeping time. Drink it while it is still fresh (normally within four hours).
[5] Drink tea after you have eaten something.
[6] A few cups are good for one day.
[7] Don't drink it when it's too hot.
[8] Don't drink tea after wine or liquor.
[9] Don't make tea in the thermos.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
24-05-2013, 08:11 PM
When I want to drink something hot, I like peppermint tea, and get a box of 20 bags for $1.25 CDN at a shop within walking distance of my house. I have it plain without milk or anything to sweeten it. Otherwise I drink water when I want something cold.

Maybe once a week I'll visit Starbucks for a latte.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)