15 faith-based predictions for 2012
Fareed's Take: Bet on America
Dozens of birds die in Arkansas town
The secrets of spider silk
TEDTalk

Second moon probe reaches lunar orbit
Fiesta bowl preview: Quarterbacks battle
SI

Only 2 of these 9 stories I would consider newsworthy. All of these were the features on CNN.

I don't dare look at foxnews, since, by definition, news should be objective, but seeing above, I'm sure the Electric company had it right.

"No Gnus, is good Gnus, and that's the Gnus...with Gary Gnu."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sinjis's post
02-01-2012, 03:53 AM
RE: Do you hate the News too?
Although I knew this beforehand, recent events in my life showed that about 80% of news facts are made up or are polished to fit human interest.

News is crap and worthless without your own proper thought process...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
02-01-2012, 04:58 AM
As I followed the news through various channels for many, many years, one thing got in my head. They make it sound worse or better than it actually is. It's all for the ratings and thus for selling commercials at the highest price. I never look at 'news' channels like CNN, SkyNews and what's more out there. I read some independent (for as far as I know) newsblogs and online newssites. But I always keep in mind that half of the story is either made up or made more beautiful than it really is.

Carlo.

Just remember to smile a lot and plot their death silently...
02-01-2012, 12:15 PM
One thing I have always known is that one should receive their news from as many different sources as possible, because even though one source may be fairly objective it might not show everything that you need to know.

What I wasn't always aware of is that most people don't do this. Most people have one or maybe two different sources for their news, that they have hand picked due to the views of the source being close to their own personal viewpoints.

That's scary. It's like a christian telling me that the bible is real because the bible tells them so, and so do all other christian scholars. What good is that? None.

I believe that's the most considerable problem with society. It is the base for many others. Narrow minded. Nothing is objective, and that is how people like it. Everything is positioned so that it matches other things. Not so it matches the facts. It's all made to suit.

I don't personally understand how people are comfortable with that. The only thing I get is when someone ignores a news source based off of it's extreme bias, or misinformation. Not just because it reports objectively. Not because it doesn't agree with you personally about abortion rights.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
02-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Newsatainment is like infomercials and reality shows - made to sell product.
You're never going to get truth if the reporters are owned by the people they're reporting on, instead of the people they're reporting to. Once contained by special interest groups, the fourth estate becomes a fifth column.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
03-01-2012, 02:08 AM
What I hate most is not that news is just crap but that it's biased based on corporate interests.
We're all biased but it's completely another thing when we are biased because our boss tells us to be.
No anti-trust laws for media corporations.

As for the crap in the media here is an example.
In Romania we have a station called OTV. The owner claims to be a revolutionary of the people fighting corruption but has been indited multiple times for corruption himself. And he drives around in a Rolls Royce btw. He hosted a show and each week they would attempt to find the body of a murdered lawyer. It's been going on for at least 2 seasons. People still follow the show hoping the next mystic will find the body. It's pitiful the kind of crap they put forward but people still watch.

OH , and to answer the first post , the lunar launch and the spider silk are the only ones I would watch.(And I bet they would twist the facts to get a higher audience)

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
05-01-2012, 07:36 AM
I just DVR John Stewart and Stephen Colbert to keep up with events. Colbert is my least favorite since I don't find him very funny but I like to see what issues he finds.

I don't even look at local news or weather. I could care less if it is going to rain or what the temperature is going to be. I do care if and when a hurricane is coming. Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
05-01-2012, 08:01 AM
The television news programs are, more and more, offering up a news-flavored entertainment product.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Actually I've always liked Huey Lewis. I don't know what y'all's problem is.

Sorry, it's early. Tongue

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
09-01-2012, 07:09 PM
My biggest problem with TV news is that I don't care to hear any opinions. I don't want fair and balanced opinions, I want none. I just want the news.

"Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick, and choose wisely." — Sam Harris

"There is no goddamn god, goddamn it."
[+] 1 user Likes w0rmwood's post