Do you have a hobby?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2017, 01:26 AM
RE: Do you have a hobby?
Plenty of hobbies here. Where to start?
Fervent reader. Always have been. I think I do reach the average of one a week, but that is kept up during winter mainly. Fantasy like Tolkien, Pullman, Rowling and Auel are all time favs. And I have this slightly annoying feat (according to my wife) that I want to read books in the original language as to not miss the subtleties that often are lost in translation. Which means buying the books more often than not, resulting in a substantial collection, requiring sacrificing half of the living room to become library/study.
Military history is another one with a heavy emphasis on WW2. And along came building scale models and painting figures. So can see where the 3 are starting to converge...resulting in my own mancave. Shocking
Gardening was another one. Then bushcrafting made its entry (always was an outdoor guy and now it had a fancy label Tongue) and after my move to a very rural area these 2 merged into lowtech homesteading. So became a lifestyle really.
And then we rescued 2 dogs with a lot of huskyblood mixed into their genes. And since we have scandinavian winters here..... guess where that leads to.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ron NL-S's post
20-07-2017, 02:57 AM
(20-07-2017 01:26 AM)Ron NL-S Wrote:  Military history is another one with a heavy emphasis on WW2. And along came building scale models and painting figures. So can see where the 3 are starting to converge...resulting in my own mancave. Shocking
Thumbsup Bowing

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
20-07-2017, 04:45 AM
(20-07-2017 01:26 AM)Ron NL-S Wrote:  Plenty of hobbies here. Where to start?
Fervent reader. Always have been. I think I do reach the average of one a week, but that is kept up during winter mainly. Fantasy like Tolkien, Pullman, Rowling and Auel are all time favs. And I have this slightly annoying feat (according to my wife) that I want to read books in the original language as to not miss the subtleties that often are lost in translation. Which means buying the books more often than not, resulting in a substantial collection, requiring sacrificing half of the living room to become library/study.
Military history is another one with a heavy emphasis on WW2. And along came building scale models and painting figures. So can see where the 3 are starting to converge...resulting in my own mancave. Shocking
Gardening was another one. Then bushcrafting made its entry (always was an outdoor guy and now it had a fancy label Tongue) and after my move to a very rural area these 2 merged into lowtech homesteading. So became a lifestyle really.
And then we rescued 2 dogs with a lot of huskyblood mixed into their genes. And since we have scandinavian winters here..... guess where that leads to.

Does bush-crafting mean topiary or does it involve more grafting and limb shaping like the circus trees? https://www.gilroygardens.org/play/circus-trees I've never tried to do either but have appreciated the work of others.

My own hobbies consist mostly of gardening, hiking in beautiful places with my pooches, reading (lean toward nonfiction but love novels) and card games.

A pic of me taken in my garden this past spring. [Image: 34245965745_117d47a9f1_z.jpg]

A more recent pic of a new rose arbor I built this past winter topped with the climbing rose 'New Dawn'. [Image: 35908439681_bdc087fe47_z.jpg]

A tree, Dacrydium cupressinum, I fell in love with on a recent garden tour. (I'm going to plant one this fall. [Image: 34481510923_9ff1bab425_z.jpg]

My pooches on a recent walk at the beach. [Image: 35428880036_b0deb9929f_z.jpg]

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 9 users Like whateverist's post
20-07-2017, 04:50 AM
(20-07-2017 04:45 AM)whateverist Wrote:  Does bush-crafting mean topiary or does it involve more grafting and limb shaping like the circus trees? https://www.gilroygardens.org/play/circus-trees I've never tried to do either but have appreciated the work of others.

No it actually means living and thriving in the wilderness with the resources you find around you. Not as in survival, where you get caught in an emergency and you have to get out alive, but deliberately going into the wild and live, preferably thrive there without or with as little as possible gear and doodahs as possible.
Albeit that said activity has more and more become a collective name for camping, gear hoarding and knife show off's or so it seems.
[+] 2 users Like Ron NL-S's post
20-07-2017, 05:37 AM
http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
20-07-2017, 05:42 AM
(20-07-2017 04:45 AM)whateverist Wrote:  

Does bush-crafting mean topiary or does it involve more grafting and limb shaping like the circus trees? https://www.gilroygardens.org/play/circus-trees I've never tried to do either but have appreciated the work of others.

My own hobbies consist mostly of gardening, hiking in beautiful places with my pooches, reading (lean toward nonfiction but love novels) and card games.

A pic of me taken in my garden this past spring. [Image: 34245965745_117d47a9f1_z.jpg]

A more recent pic of a new rose arbor I built this past winter topped with the climbing rose 'New Dawn'. [Image: 35908439681_bdc087fe47_z.jpg]

A tree, Dacrydium cupressinum, I fell in love with on a recent garden tour. (I'm going to plant one this fall. [Image: 34481510923_9ff1bab425_z.jpg]

You forgot photography. You certainly seem to have an eye for it.

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
20-07-2017, 05:53 AM

> Are you interested in Middle Earth/Lord of the Rings fan fiction? Smile
20-07-2017, 05:59 AM
(20-07-2017 05:53 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Are you interested in Middle Earth/Lord of the Rings fan fiction? Smile

Aye sir. Indeed I am and Tolkien's works in original language decorate my bookshelve. Well at least of of them.

Oh wait... hold on a minute!
fan fiction... that rung a bell. Is that the online writing thingy?
20-07-2017, 06:18 AM
(20-07-2017 05:59 AM)Ron NL-S Wrote:  
(20-07-2017 05:53 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Are you interested in Middle Earth/Lord of the Rings fan fiction? Smile

Aye sir. Indeed I am and Tolkien's works in original language decorate my bookshelves. Well at least of them.

Oh wait... hold on a minute!
fan fiction... that rung a bell. Is that the online writing thingy?

> Indeed. I write under the pen name of Karlmir Stonewain. See my bio page for the link to my stories, poems and essays. Your comments, reviews and correspondence would be most welcome. Smile
20-07-2017, 07:23 AM
(20-07-2017 04:45 AM)whateverist Wrote:  

Your rose arbor is beautiful--and my favorite color roses Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi