Do you have a hobby?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2017, 12:14 PM
RE: Do you have a hobby?
I've picked up needle felting recently. I've managed to stab all of my fingers so far, but it's fun Tongue

I don't have any current pics but here's the wire armature (with 3D pen enforced limbs) of the sculpture I'm working on:

[Image: image.jpg]

It'll be fully posable, even the toes! Up next will be a feathery velociraptor or to scale microraptor.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
22-07-2017, 09:22 AM
That looks like it might make a good hood ornament for my tinfoil hat. Can you do a Praying Mantis?

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
22-07-2017, 11:12 AM
(20-07-2017 08:28 AM)Emma Wrote:  Beautiful, Dom!

I play video games, and I paint sometimes. I volunteer with political campaigns, too. I draw. I eat. Is eating a hobby? If so, then my best good hobby is pizza.

I think being a foodie is absolutely a hobby Thumbsup I love trying new foods and restaurants. Put me down for food as a hobby as well. Big Grin

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
22-07-2017, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2017 11:41 AM by Loom.)
(22-07-2017 09:22 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  That looks like it might make a good hood ornament for my tinfoil hat. Can you do a Praying Mantis?

That might be fun, if a lil complex Tongue

Here are the current pics. All I need to do now is rework the horns (they're too fat and set back too far) and add her poofy mane, butt fur, and tail! I might even try to get a hold of some glass eyes so she'll have proper eyes!

Edit: here's a drawing of how she's s'posed to look.

[Image: _kiri__by_oo_kiri_oo-daxg93q.png]

[+] 4 users Like Loom's post
22-07-2017, 11:38 AM
(22-07-2017 11:36 AM)Loom Wrote:  
(22-07-2017 09:22 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  That looks like it might make a good hood ornament for my tinfoil hat. Can you do a Praying Mantis?

Here are the current pics. All I need to do now is rework the horns (they're too fat and set back too far) and add her poofy mane and tail! I might even try to get a hold of some glass eyes so she'll have proper eyes!

Too cute!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Loom your artwork is great. Love the sculpture and the art on your Deviantart page is very cool. I kinda want to get into small sculpture stuff like that but can't quite get geeked up to try...I'm not looking forward to the long learning curve where everything I do sucks until something half-decent gets made. But I have gone as far as to purchase some bars of sculpy modeling clay. It looks so nice in the package I hate to take it out and mess it up! Do you ever use something like modeling clay?

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
22-07-2017, 08:01 PM
(22-07-2017 12:11 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Loom your artwork is great. Love the sculpture and the art on your Deviantart page is very cool. I kinda want to get into small sculpture stuff like that but can't quite get geeked up to try...I'm not looking forward to the long learning curve where everything I do sucks until something half-decent gets made. But I have gone as far as to purchase some bars of sculpy modeling clay. It looks so nice in the package I hate to take it out and mess it up! Do you ever use something like modeling clay?

I actually don't use clay...never really got into it. I prefer flexibility, hence needle felting has worked great so far!

Needless, you should def try it out, it's super fun to experiment!

22-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Just googled "needle felting" and watched a video...assumed there would be knitting involved. It was weird but I'm interested.

22-07-2017, 09:01 PM
(22-07-2017 11:36 AM)Loom Wrote:  

Here are the current pics. All I need to do now is rework the horns (they're too fat and set back too far) and add her poofy mane, butt fur, and tail! I might even try to get a hold of some glass eyes so she'll have proper eyes!

Edit: here's a drawing of how she's s'posed to look.

[Image: _kiri__by_oo_kiri_oo-daxg93q.png]

That's wicked cool! When I carve wood, the final article doesn't necessarily look like the example. I call it "artistic license". My last carving was a dog that has to go into water, so I carved the hair to represent a long-haired dog. I got a picture of a Dalmatian to show my wife what the example looked like. Yes, I'm a smart-ass. Yes