Do you have a problem with a nuclear armed Iran?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Do you have a problem with a nuclear armed Iran?
I was listening to the radio on my way to work, and this question was posed. I do not have a problem with it. Iran will probably be dumb enough to launch on Isreal, in which case they get nuked back to the stone age. At worst, they might succeed in crippling the government here. You know, the one that is sft on the middle east while hiped up on spying on its' own people. The govenment is what is stopping rational people from wiping out a credible threat, meaning the leader in the middle east actively saying they want to hurl nukes around. I say let them. Maybe then the rational can take control and wipe out the threats to our civilization.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2012, 08:38 AM
RE: Do you have a problem with a nuclear armed Iran?
(16-08-2012 11:18 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I was listening to the radio on my way to work, and this question was posed. I do not have a problem with it. Iran will probably be dumb enough to launch on Isreal, in which case they get nuked back to the stone age. At worst, they might succeed in crippling the government here. You know, the one that is sft on the middle east while hiped up on spying on its' own people. The govenment is what is stopping rational people from wiping out a credible threat, meaning the leader in the middle east actively saying they want to hurl nukes around. I say let them. Maybe then the rational can take control and wipe out the threats to our civilization.

I respectfully disagree.

A nuclear armed Iran would be a big issue. They will most likely not attack Israel right off the bat, if at all but will use the edge to threaten countries nearby. You end up with other oil producers cowing to them or getting WMD's to negate the threat. Either way you end up with greater instability regionally and globally.

On top of being a theocracy, their particular strain has a very apocalyptic mindset. A nuclear exchange let alone war in that area would cause a monumental economic turmoil. They also may hand nukes to Hezbollah or some similar group, if you think the Patriot Act was bad, wait until you see what happens after a nuke is detonated in the US. People will line up around the block to sign away their (and your) constitutional rights.

We won't even go into the environmental issue related to nuclear weapons.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 3 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
17-08-2012, 08:40 AM
I was rather hoping that Birdguy was very much joking.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2012, 02:57 PM
I love my life, I don't want to die. So yeah, I have a big problem with a nuclear Iran.
[+] 3 users Like shiranl's post
17-08-2012, 03:53 PM
1. There is no evidence that the government of Iran has sought, is seeking, or will seek to create Nuclear weapons.
2. There is no evidence that the state of Iran is capable, or will be capable in near future of creating nuclear weapons.
3. There is no evidence that the state of Iran is an irrational actor.
4. There is no evidence that the state of Iran, unmolested, will be an irrational actor.

Now, that list does not hold true for some states that do possess nuclear weapons.

There is no problem of an Iran utilizing nuclear energy.

There IS a problem with states that currently possess nuclear weapons (and have used them) in having nuclear weapons.
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
17-08-2012, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2012 04:01 PM by Logica Humano.)
(16-08-2012 11:18 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I was listening to the radio on my way to work, and this question was posed. I do not have a problem with it. Iran will probably be dumb enough to launch on Isreal, in which case they get nuked back to the stone age. At worst, they might succeed in crippling the government here. You know, the one that is sft on the middle east while hiped up on spying on its' own people. The govenment is what is stopping rational people from wiping out a credible threat, meaning the leader in the middle east actively saying they want to hurl nukes around. I say let them. Maybe then the rational can take control and wipe out the threats to our civilization.

I have no problem with people who are willing to sacrifice themselves to kill innocence obtaining nuclear weapons, or with people who feel like they have a bone to pick with Israel. Sure, let em' have the most deadly weapon known to man.

^evidence

Frankly, it is not just the Western world or Israel who is against it. Iran's Muslim neighbors don't like it either.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
17-08-2012, 03:56 PM
The slightly more interesting question is by what right do we tell Iran it can't have nuclear weapons? My interpretation of the continuing conflict that we (the west, but USA primarily) have with Iran is their sense of not having to ask permission from anyone to develop whatever technology they want. On one hand I completely see their point. They're a sovereign nation with their own government. On the other hand, I think one can objectively say that they are a danger to the world. Their open policy of destroying Israel, a UN-created and recognized country is alone worthy of denying them WMDs. Beyond that issue, it gets more subtle and slippery. We don't like their form of government or their laws, but who's to say it's intrinsically wrong? They sponsor terror groups, but one man's terror group is another man's freedom fighter. So while right now I feel comfortable supporting the policy of denying them WMD (due to their policy on Israel), without that issue it would be a tougher argument, as it would with many nations. That's my understanding of why the US non-proliferation policy has been to offer protective pacts and incentives to help countries capable of developing WMDs to not develop them.
17-08-2012, 04:00 PM
(17-08-2012 03:53 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  4. There is no evidence that the state of Iran, unmolested, will be an irrational actor.

Do you consider their policy of destroying Israel to be rational?

(17-08-2012 03:53 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  There IS a problem with states that currently possess nuclear weapons (and have used them) in having nuclear weapons.

You're obviously including the US in this statement. What is the problem?
17-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Because:

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Somebody mention nukes???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post