Do you have a romanticized view of Atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2012, 08:25 PM
RE: Do you have a romanticized view of Atheism?
(20-10-2012 06:50 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I think the reason for your disillusionment is that you think of atheists as a group. There's something to that -- obviously, most of us pal around on forums like this for that reason. But if we are a group, we're a group identified by what we aren't rather than what we are.

It's the same case in any group defined by exclusion. Do you expect to find only moral and kind people among non-coin-collectors? Do you expect to find no racism or bigotry among people who don't watch football? Do you expect to find rational and reasonable thought among those who are not in school? Why should there be a common thread among us non-believers?

This. I think people tend to think of atheists as a homogenous group, and it couldn't be further from the truth. I think this is because other groups such as Christians, do claim to share some moral teachings (or at least get them from the bible), but atheism makes no such claims.

As for atheists hanging around forums, sure, part of it is because of non-belief, but I think part of it is because we are a distrusted minority (according to polls, and according to many Christians I've talked to) and forums are a safe place to talk about these things with like-minded people. I mean, even among many of my less-religious friends, if I suggest a complete disbelief in deities and the supernatural, they start going on and on about how they "feel" their is a supreme being and so on.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
21-10-2012, 05:00 AM
I was not a very religious person in the first place.
But some day, i opened my eyes and see that religion didn't work.
Religion is a solid building of thoughts, with no base, it hang's in thin air.
So, i searched for something that makes things really working and I found realism.
Long time i describe myself as an realist, the word atheist was unknown to me at this time.
And realists tend to see the world without a sugarcoat, just like it is.
Later, i discovered atheism and it seemed to be the right term to describe what i think about religion and god.
That doesn't sound's very romanticized, i think.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
Find all posts by this user
21-10-2012, 06:47 AM
I love the diversity.

When you have a group of people who all think the same way, where is the mental stimulation?

Different cultures, genders, ages, life styles etc just makes it all interesting.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-10-2012, 08:05 AM
I grew up being taught that there was a Christian god and that "we" (the people around me) believed in him and Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost. I didn't give it a lot of thought. I just marched off to my catechism classes and to masses because that's "what we do". I was pretty young when I started to wonder if people really believed the stuff that was being taught because I thought it was all just stories and rituals. I didn't know that you could not be a part of it all.

As a teen I read Edgar Cayce and for a while thought that reincarnation made more sense. Then I delved deeper and shook that off. I read the Satanic Bible when I was around twenty just to see if it just the opposite of the Bible. I read about and looked into other religions (other than Catholicism) and didn't ever find anything that made sense to me. It really didn't occur to me that you could simply not believe. I thought you had to follow some faith practice...that it wasn't an option not to. When I read the Christ Conspiracy, the Greatest Story Ever Sold, I was completely freed from the need to believe in the Christian god, or any other.

But I didn't believe, and over the years let the search for a faith go. Finding out that there were others who didn't buy what was being sold felt really good. I wasn't the only one. I still read and study thinking that there has to be some kind of truth in the whole Christian thing or so many people wouldn't buy into it. Some people seem so desperate to find actual historical truth to validate what is in the Bible. Others seem to realize that it just doesn't exist and that's where blind faith comes in. I can't wrap my head around blind faith.

I had/have no romanticized view of Atheism, I was just relieved to find out that I wasn't alone in my lack of belief. I don't think I ever believed, I was told I did. I am not "mad at God". I simply don't believe there's a god to be mad at.

For me, the whole Atheist thing comes down to one thing and that is I don't want other people's beliefs forced on me or anyone else. If a person's faith gets them through the night, so be it. Just don't think I have to follow that same path or that your beliefs need to be force fed to others.

I hate how things are credited to a god. I went to a luncheon for breast cancer survivors yesterday and was dismayed that it turned very religious and that our survival was credited to the Christian god, the same god that gave us the cancer in the first place if you are going to follow that concept in a rational way. Eye rolls and face palms for me. I got cancer cause it happens. I got better because of science, determination on my part, and the skill and knowledge of the doctors and other medical professionals and the scientists behind the scenes. I turned inward for strength and used my mind to research and make informed decisions along the way. God wasn't invited to my cancer party. He gets no blame and he gets no credit.

Nothing romanticized about my lack of belief, it would be easier to fit in if I did believe or could pretend that I do.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-10-2012, 06:44 PM
I dont romanticize being a non-golfer anymore than i do being a person who lacks a belief in gods. I doubt that you romanticize not believing that the moon is made out of cheese.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
22-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Atheists are just like everybody else.

However I do see logic, skepticism, and science as a part of my life now.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp