Do you have pets?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Do you have pets?
I am an animal lover. I don't think I could survive if I didn't have pets and nature around me.

Today is the 3 month anniversary of my husband's death, and it's been hard, the second I let my thoughts flow I relive everything.

He was an animal lover like me.

Anyway, a week after he passed I got to thinking that I wanted more protection. I have a gun, but I wanted a police dog too. After all a gun won't alert you to trouble before it happens. To top it off, my 14 year old Great Dane passed shortly after my husband did, and there was just too much void in my life.

I have a background in training German Shepherds with the police, as well as breeding top lines imported from Germany. I trained in Schutzhund (protection dog) but we trained along side police since a lot of the training is the same.

So I set out to find a good dog, already trained, with a long genetic background of being in this type of work. I found one who was available because he failed the "slippery floor" tests, police dogs must be able to cross any kind of terrain and scale fences and climb ladders and - race across slippery floors. Well, this one pulled a ham string. So now he doesn't want to do the slippery floor thing again and it would have taken too long to get him comfortable with it again. So I was able to get him before he entered service (can't buy them after that).

Here he is, watching a bad guy, ready to run after him as soon as the leash is off....

[Image: drago3.jpg]

It's too bad my husband didn't get to meet Drago. He is a great dog, and I am enjoying his company.

I have other animals also, but today I wanted to talk about Drago.

I haven't had him for very long, but these type of dogs become so much in tune with you it's incredible. Loyal, fearless, and after some time they just seem to read your thoughts.

I guess it's a type of evolution - these specific German Shepherds have been bred to do this work for a couple hundred years. Only some dogs are approved for beeding - both males and females have to go through tests in conformation (not the AKC type, this one is for athletic bodies) temperament, obedience and protection before they are allowed to breed. So they need years of successful training before they are considered breed worthy. So for a couple hundred years only the very best dogs have been bred to only the very best dogs. Not for beauty but for brains and courage and strong, athletic bodies.

So am very proud of Drago. He was born and initially trained in Germany and then flown here to finish training and start work. He is 3 years old. I was very lucky to find one in such a short time. It didn't hurt that I used to be in the business - just one of my illustrious enterprises. Smile

Anyway, time for some playtime with him, he needs his exercise (so do I).

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Dom's post
25-03-2012, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2012 08:06 PM by Anjele.)
RE: Do you have pets?
We have a house full!

We have an African Gray parrot named Chewy and a Quaker parrot named Zeus.

Also in the house is a rescue dog named Lady, she is mostly Rat Terrier and is a sweet dog, we have had her about four years.

When I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in the fall of 09, I worried about her because she loved to be next to me...on me actually...with her paws and head on my chest. I knew that she would grieve after my mastectomies since she wouldn't be able to do that for some time. We happened upon some people selling Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and I instantly fell in love with a little tri-colored male. Although I didn't know how things would go with my upcoming surgeries and recovery and trying to deal with a puppy, I had to have him.

Chopper is my sweety. He and Lady are good buddies and I love him to pieces. Both dogs were such a comfort to me during my time home recovering and mostly alone as far as people go. He's my "I'm surviving cancer" dog.

A couple months ago the people we got him from emailed me to say they had a couple more litters. I went and picked out a little female black and tan Cavalier. We brought her home early as her mom stopped nursing them so I spent a couple weeks hand-feeding her. She is my wild child...her name is Karma. She is almost three months old and we are all trying to figure out who is in charge now as she thinks she is.

My dad was a veterinarian and his parents were farmers so animals have always been a part of my life...the chaos, expense, mess and all the rest are so worth it to be met at the door by critters that are thrilled to see me whether I have been gone 5 minutes or 12 hours. And I love having them cuddle with me while I study, read, or sleep.

Your Drago is a handsome fellow and I know you will have much love and comfort with him.

Congrats! Great dog.

Going to try to add a picture of Karma Girl...

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
25-03-2012, 08:12 PM
We have a new kitty. We're thinking of naming her Damnit. Then we can go to the door, and say, "get in here ... damnit". We'll see if she gets along with Lorenzo, my puppy. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Dom,

What an amazing story to your relationship with your dog. And, sorry to hear about your husband. I know what it's like to wish important loved ones that have passed on could see and share the new beginnings after they passed. It's tough.

Very cool background to Drago! I should have done something similar... instead I did the stupid thing, the very thing I preached against before, and I got a german shepherd (non accredited) off of an ad. Well, he had to have two life saving surgeries from being a biological mess from in utero (his digestive system was up inside his heart cavity and fused to his abdominal wall) and he is sloooowwwww. I've trained dogs before- I exercise him daily and mentally stimulate him and it took him forever to get the basics. He is so loveable and loyal though! I love him! He is handsome too, you'd never know he was so handicapped looking at him.

There is a pet thread somewhere, but I couldn't find it to link over. I'll repost the pic.

[Image: rangerbackyard.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
25-03-2012, 09:03 PM
No pets here only 4 leg children.

[Image: GifGloPops.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
25-03-2012, 11:21 PM
I love all your pics! They're all gorgeous animals Smile

My son has a ferret Confused Yes, not my choice of animal although she is very cute. I prefer cats but also love dogs too(it's a little hard to own a dog when you rent)

Thanks for the wonderful stories too!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
26-03-2012, 07:01 AM
I knew I would enjoy this thread. Smile What a breather after all those conspiracy threads that pop up like mushrooms.

Anjele, the dog in the pic is too cute! Your household sounds a lot like mine. And I know first hand how dogs (and cats) can speed up recovery when you are not well. Nothing like a pair of expectant eyes and a wagging tail to motivate you to get up and go again, and nothing like a cuddly furball to make you feel better when you feel rotten.

Bucky, I once had a tenant with a dog named Damnit. Damnit got her name by lying on a litter of kittens (to mother them) and smothering them all but one. The surviving kitten was called Toughy. This was brought to my attention when a neighbor complained that my tenant would go outside and yell "Damnit" daily.

Lady Jane, sorry to hear about your Sheppie's troubles. Backyard breeding really should not be allowed, IMO. So many health issues, bad temperaments and dogs in shelters being killed. Still, I bet yours is going to be loyal to a fault - dogs know who has helped them and they mean to pay you back as best they can. And he is a very nice looking fellow. I hope you have many troublefree years to come!

Popeye's Pappy, they are beautiful. I am glad so many people today adopt retired Greyhounds. I hear they make great pets and like to be couch potatoes.

Aurora, ferrets are cute. I hear they get along well with cats, so maybe that's still an option for you.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
26-03-2012, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2012 07:30 AM by houseofcantor.)
[Image: th_205.jpg] George.

There's four cats and a dog named George here. He thinks he's a cat; doesn't know he's hundred forty pounds of monster mash. Does eat children. Tongue

No pets, though. I think we're the pets.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Thanks for sharing your stories. You peeps are amazing and never forget that Heart

I have had pets in the past but currently I live in a house share and my Landlady has two cats....Casper and Milo.... they are brothers and my landlady rehomed them from a pet sanctuary.... they didnt have a good start in life and were very skittish when they arrived in the house.

Over time they have settled in well but even now they are still a bit wary of people even though they have never been harmed by anybody for a long time..... Im hoping that over time they will grow completly out of it.

My house is near a field and they recently caught a rabbit and I came down to find bits of it in the shower room and them hollering at each other over the hind remains under the kitchen table Blink

Ive added a picture of them waking up as I took a photo of them sharing an impossibly small space in a jigsaw box Big Grin

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
26-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Cantor, is George a Giant Schnauzer?

Bemore - funny funny pic!