Do you have pets?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2012, 07:34 PM
RE: Do you have pets?
Chop's feeling better today. Found an inflatable collar that keeps him from being able to reach the incision but he can lay down and isn't running into things with that big, damn cone on his head.

The only place he could get comfortable last night was laying on me. I got clobbered a few times with the cone. Should be an easier night for both of us.

I bought him right before my cancer surgery, he was my comfort...now I have to be his. I love my little dude.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
23-07-2012, 11:28 AM
(19-06-2012 07:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Chop's feeling better today. Found an inflatable collar that keeps him from being able to reach the incision but he can lay down and isn't running into things with that big, damn cone on his head.

The only place he could get comfortable last night was laying on me. I got clobbered a few times with the cone. Should be an easier night for both of us.

I bought him right before my cancer surgery, he was my comfort...now I have to be his. I love my little dude.

I assume all is forgotten by now. Smile

Anyone have aquariums? I am about to set one up....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-07-2012, 11:37 AM
(23-07-2012 11:28 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(19-06-2012 07:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Chop's feeling better today. Found an inflatable collar that keeps him from being able to reach the incision but he can lay down and isn't running into things with that big, damn cone on his head.

I assume all is forgotten by now. Smile

I have an aquarium, but all the fish died so I just use it as a cool little light and water show. I find the sound of the pump to be relaxing.
Dom, I have a dog question for you...
Snuffy seems to have some skin allergies. She chews on her feet until they look pink and raw, and she scratches her head with a fury until she whines from the pain. Any home remedies or should I take her to a vet?

(oh, and I don't think she has fleas. I check her regularly and have never found one.)

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
23-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Here's my dug-on-a-rug

[Image: dug_on_a_rug_6.jpg?psid=1]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Red Celt's post
23-07-2012, 12:44 PM
(23-07-2012 11:37 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(23-07-2012 11:28 AM)Dom Wrote:  I assume all is forgotten by now. Smile

I have an aquarium, but all the fish died so I just use it as a cool little light and water show. I find the sound of the pump to be relaxing.
Snuffy seems to have some skin allergies. She chews on her feet until they look pink and raw, and she scratches her head with a fury until she whines from the pain. Any home remedies or should I take her to a vet?

(oh, and I don't think she has fleas. I check her regularly and have never found one.)

It does sound like a possible skin condition, and you should go to the vet.

It could also be ear mites that are driving her bonkers and making her chew her paws raw, which is often a psychological thing.

For ear mites, try to get meds in powder form. The sprays and ointments are a lot harder to administer, the dogs can't stand the feeling of the burning meds on top of the existing irritation and go nuts. So you'd have to wrestle her to get it taken care of. Squirting powder in (comes in a squirt bottle) seems to be a lot easier to tolerate.

Do something asap, she is in agony with this and will continue to hurt herself up to self mutilation. It's the "counter irritant" thing, she abuses her paws to overpower the ear agony... so she seeks to inflict pain on herself to be able to ignore the ear pain.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-07-2012, 12:47 PM
(23-07-2012 12:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-07-2012 11:37 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I have an aquarium, but all the fish died so I just use it as a cool little light and water show. I find the sound of the pump to be relaxing.

It could also be ear mites that are driving her bonkers and making her chew her paws raw, which is often a psychological thing.

For ear mites, try to get meds in powder form. The sprays and ointments are a lot harder to administer, the dogs can't stand the feeling of the burning meds on top of the existing irritation and go nuts. So you'd have to wrestle her to get it taken care of. Squirting powder in (comes in a squirt bottle) seems to be a lot easier to tolerate.

Do something asap, she is in agony with this and will continue to hurt herself up to self mutilation. It's the "counter irritant" thing, she abuses her paws to overpower the ear agony... so she seeks to inflict pain on herself to be able to ignore the ear pain.
OK, thanks! I got a vet recommendation from my mom so will make an appointment right now.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
23-07-2012, 01:33 PM
I thought this was too funny:

[Image: z.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
23-07-2012, 05:39 PM
I had a couple aquariums when we were in SC, even moved here to TX with most of the fish...I could never get the water right here, I suppose I am not enough of a chemist to get the TX water to agree with my SC fish. After way too many fish sacrifices I gave up. Now I have a bunch of equipment stored in a closet. Have actually thought about doing some sort of terrarium but I tend to be lethal to plants.

One day I will try again or will find a new home for all the stuff I have.

I love to watch the fish and find the gurgling of the water soothing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
23-07-2012, 06:01 PM
(23-07-2012 05:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I had a couple aquariums when we were in SC, even moved here to TX with most of the fish...I could never get the water right here, I suppose I am not enough of a chemist to get the TX water to agree with my SC fish. After way too many fish sacrifices I gave up. Now I have a bunch of equipment stored in a closet. Have actually thought about doing some sort of terrarium but I tend to be lethal to plants.

One day I will try again or will find a new home for all the stuff I have.

I love to watch the fish and find the gurgling of the water soothing.

Well, I am doing my home work. I am lucky - I don't have city water. The water coming out of my faucet is spring water from my own property. So, no chlorine and just nice clean water.

I am doing this in stages, first I am setting the aquarium up with just substrate and water and letting it cure for a while. I am using biological substrate complete with beneficial bacteria. Then I am going to plant it with real plants, did my research on these also.

Once these show some growth I will add the fish. So the fish are going into a well established aquarium, with the proper PH and everything, established greenery and bacteria.

I had fish many years ago and they did die because I kept getting new ones and putting them in and they carried diseases. That is the downfall of many aquarium keepers. That and putting them in water that is not conditioned yet.

This time I will add them in one swoop, all coming from the same hatchery. And I will resist the temptations to add new ones because I saw them someplace and think I just have to have some of these and some of those and....

Instead of doing one big aquarium I am doing two desktop ones. Each can only hold a certain nimber of fish and that's it.

Anyway, so I am going to try to go about it the right way this time. Cross your fingers. I sure enjoy watching them swim around, and yes, the water sounds are so soothing.

24-07-2012, 01:05 PM
(23-07-2012 12:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-07-2012 11:37 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I have an aquarium, but all the fish died so I just use it as a cool little light and water show. I find the sound of the pump to be relaxing.

Dom, Snuffy had her vet visit this morning. Of course, she charmed the staff with her cuteness.
Doc said she probably has allergies and gave her an injection for her skin and drops for her eyes twice a day. Hopefully she won't be so uncomfortable. We'll go back next week to see if we should do something about her diet or if this clears things up. At least there were no fleas or ear mites. Thumbsup

~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post