Do you have pets?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2012, 01:37 PM
RE: Do you have pets?
Erx, you might want to talk with your vet about diet ... it could be a matter of changing processed brand food - some dogs can have allergic reactions to their processed food ingredients. A dog's body can process rice, yet is unable to process wheat and corn... something to keep in mind when reading labels.

How is Snuffy doing otherwise? Any new pix? Heart

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2012, 01:50 PM
(24-07-2012 01:05 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(23-07-2012 12:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  It does sound like a possible skin condition, and you should go to the vet.

It could also be ear mites that are driving her bonkers and making her chew her paws raw, which is often a psychological thing.

For ear mites, try to get meds in powder form. The sprays and ointments are a lot harder to administer, the dogs can't stand the feeling of the burning meds on top of the existing irritation and go nuts. So you'd have to wrestle her to get it taken care of. Squirting powder in (comes in a squirt bottle) seems to be a lot easier to tolerate.

Do something asap, she is in agony with this and will continue to hurt herself up to self mutilation. It's the "counter irritant" thing, she abuses her paws to overpower the ear agony... so she seeks to inflict pain on herself to be able to ignore the ear pain.

Dom, Snuffy had her vet visit this morning. Of course, she charmed the staff with her cuteness.
Doc said she probably has allergies and gave her an injection for her skin and drops for her eyes twice a day. Hopefully she won't be so uncomfortable. We'll go back next week to see if we should do something about her diet or if this clears things up. At least there were no fleas or ear mites. Thumbsup

Cool.

The vet may sell you some super expensive non allergic food. Go ahead and get a bag and study the composition. If it has grain or a lot of rice and veggies in it, you will do even better with a pure meat product - and at less cost.

Lemme know if this happens.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-07-2012, 02:09 PM
(24-07-2012 01:37 PM)kim Wrote:  Erx, you might want to talk with your vet about diet ... it could be a matter of changing processed brand food - some dogs can have allergic reactions to their processed food ingredients. A dog's body can process rice, yet is unable to process wheat and corn... something to keep in mind when reading labels.

How is Snuffy doing otherwise? Any new pix? Heart

Ask and you shall receive:

First one is our lunch date together the other day.

[Image: photo_11.jpg]

And a visit to Cousin Dolly's house.

[Image: photo_10.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
24-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Oh gosh, I love dogs! So stinkin' cute!
24-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Karma tends to be itchy, but not after going to the groomer. Even though I was using an oatmeal shampoo, the trick according to them is to let it sit for five minutes so it can soak into the skin. That seems to work.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Snuffy's like, what are you doing touching that dog?!?! Big Grin

I don't really have pets. I have other people's pets. Like George, who is upstairs making a fucking racket 'cause he's all alone and he's a big baby... Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
26-07-2012, 12:04 PM
(24-07-2012 01:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  The vet may sell you some super expensive non allergic food. Go ahead and get a bag and study the composition. If it has grain or a lot of rice and veggies in it, you will do even better with a pure meat product - and at less cost.

Right on. Dogs are carnivorous animals plain and simple. The majority of their diet needs to be pure meat. Using store bought food with the least amount of rice & veg available can be used as filler to stretch a raw meat diet. It will make both the bagged concoction and the raw meat less costly in the long run.

Heart Snuffy is looking good! She even seems fairly robust next to Dolly. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
26-07-2012, 02:19 PM
(26-07-2012 12:04 PM)kim Wrote:  
(24-07-2012 01:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  The vet may sell you some super expensive non allergic food. Go ahead and get a bag and study the composition. If it has grain or a lot of rice and veggies in it, you will do even better with a pure meat product - and at less cost.

Right on. Dogs are carnivorous animals plain and simple. The majority of their diet needs to be pure meat. Using store bought food with the least amount of rice & veg available can be used as filler to stretch a raw meat diet. It will make both the bagged concoction and the raw meat less costly in the long run.

Heart Snuffy is looking good! She even seems fairly robust next to Dolly. Smile

Actually, dogs are perfectly satisfied with less food if the meal has no filler at all. They do not need the volume of pure meat that they need of a diet with fillers. The fillers are useless and have no benefit for the dog, and they have to eat a lot more of the "stretched" food because only the meat content counts. So if a dog eats half a pound of meat, it will have to eat the volume of kibble that delivers that 1/2 pound of meat. Likely he will comsume 1 1/2 pounds of kibble to get what he needs.

The fillers are totally useless and cause extra large volume of extra stinky stool, bad breath and bad teeth. What they don't do is provide nutrition.

Two tablespoons of rice and two tablespoons of veggies A WEEK is all the roughage they can use. The rest just passes through, causing the above unpleasantries.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
26-07-2012, 02:33 PM
(26-07-2012 02:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  The fillers are totally useless and cause extra large volume of extra stinky stool, bad breath and bad teeth. What they don't do is provide nutrition.

I add mix to the meat for one simple reason: to stop Ben inhaling the food into his lungs. He eats very fast and the mixer slows him down. A little. Dodgy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-07-2012, 03:22 PM
(26-07-2012 02:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  The fillers are totally useless and cause extra large volume of extra stinky stool, bad breath and bad teeth. What they don't do is provide nutrition.

Two tablespoons of rice and two tablespoons of veggies A WEEK is all the roughage they can use. The rest just passes through, causing the above unpleasantries.

Yes, I actually only ever fed my dog Rafer totally raw. The only boxed stuff he got was his little Milkbone treats. Don't know why he loved them so much... probably because I originally used them to train him. He also loved those huge pig ears... he'd kill for those - but those were real.

Friends could never figure out why they could walk in my yard when they couldn't even go near their own because of the smell. They were continuously disposing of the shit in their yards while I never lifted a shovel - didn't have to - Rafer's poo disintegrated in a few days! He never had bad breath, teeth problems, or health issues at all. Thumbsup

Dom, have you ever seen a product called "Frosty Paws"? It's a product you keep in the freezer - it's an "ice cream-like" treat. I gave my dog them a couple of times but they didn't keep stocking them at my local store.
The ingredients on the box reads:
Water
Dried whey
Soy flour
Animal fat
followed by a couple more dried whey products and a bunch of other preservative crap.

If I had a dog today, I think I'd probably make these from scratch, but the only recipes I've seen online have so much crap in them. I think for Rafer... a lot of the appeal had to do with it being cold (he also loved ice cubes) he had to lick it out of the cup, so it would last a long time.
I'm thinking the ingredients could be as simple as:
water
animal fat
pureed meat (if even necessary)

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post