Do you have pets?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2012, 11:34 AM
RE: Do you have pets?
@Dom: Thanks about the "sit" clarification. I will try it that way tomorrow.

Today I had a good long walk with her. She had a lot of mind work again. I am always trying to give her stuff to learn on the walks, not only does it keep her focus on something, it also gets her tired. Indeed right now she is laying on her spot, she basically feel asleep as soon as the leash was off and she had some water.
So today on the walk, we saw the goats again. So this time, and after I saw an episode of the dog whisperer about an obsessive dog, I tired Cesar Milan's approach and it kinda worked. I did not let her get near the goats but watching (not charging!) was ok. So she got the point that she gets a correction everytime she charges and we could pass the goats! That was great!
After the normal walk I went into the garden with her on the long leash and started teaching her "come"... basically i make "come here" one word Big Grin Everytime she came when I said it, I cuddled her a bit, and every time she came on her own I said "come here" and cuddled her. Just she is not used to the long leash and started to throw tantrum, just I didn't let her do that. So she finally surrendered and stopped running and bouncing and pulling like a moron.
Once we got back inside she got a new biiiig bone, that we got for her yesterday Smile
So she licked on it and chewed a bit and then simply fell asleep right next to the bone Big Grin

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
25-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Good on the goat thing, that's what I had to do with Drago and the neighbor's Llama. Smile

Re. come: That's one that has to be 1000% because it can save her life (or yours) some day.

You are right, it is best taught on leash at first, because if you call and she doesn't come and has no leash, you have absolutely no recourse. You can't punish her when she finally comes because then she will think coming = punishment (A leads to B only again).

I like things easy on me and the dog. So I start with a short(ish) leash, give the command, reel her in asap and praise. After a few times that works flawlessly without reeling. Then I move to a longer leash, then longer, and finally a tracking leash (very long, you can just use rope or something).

The goal being that she NEVER EVEN HAS A CHANCE TO THINK ABOUT IT, hear the word and start running (or be reeled as fast as you can physically manage, the faster the better).

All of these practice sessions only last until she gets it twice in a row. Then I do a couple of things she already knows - so each session always ends on a high note. That's important. If she doesn't get something and you wanna quit, give her stuff to do that she does get. If she does achieve the hard new thing, still close with an easy thing. Success is the great motivator. You want her walking away from training knowing that she made you happy and sweet, everytime.

Practice the coming in the house too, on leash there also. Don't give up the leash control when you use that command until she is 100% on a loooooong leash. It won't take long, but one missed command and it is a big set back. So just don't use "come" at all if you don't have the leash to make it happen INSTANTLY.

Better stay in control for too long than not long enough. It's the single most important thing she has to know. That way, whatever she is into, you can stop it in an instant by just calling her. You'll be surprised how unconditionally fast her recall will get in no time.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
25-09-2012, 02:40 PM
I get the feeling you are a Dog trainer or something like that, Dom! You have so much good advice! I want to give you my money! Big Grin

- Wotsefack?! -
25-09-2012, 03:24 PM
(25-09-2012 02:40 PM)Leela Wrote:  I get the feeling you are a Dog trainer or something like that, Dom! You have so much good advice! I want to give you my money! Big Grin

Roflmao! Send it over here asap before you change your mind. Smile

I used to train with the police. I used to breed German Shepherds from police lines and train from puppy on up.

I train in a way that makes the dog very eager to please and never stunts their spirit. It's what police dogs need to be like... and it's kind of contradictory - well disciplined and under complete control while all innate drives and instincts are left perfectly intact.

I hate training that breaks the dog's spirit. A good dog is your partner, perfectly in tune with you while still using all his/her natural gifts to add to yours.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
25-09-2012, 04:33 PM
I want to absorb all your knowledge!

- Wotsefack?! -
25-09-2012, 07:05 PM
(25-09-2012 04:33 PM)Leela Wrote:  I want to absorb all your knowledge!

Just ask away.

25-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Hey Dom...

My latest addition (the female Cavalier) is nine months old now. We have a couple issues with her, the first being barking. I get that it's often when she hears another dog outside or some other noise, but she really gets on a roll and won't quiet down.

Another is that although she hasn't been a destructive chewer, she loves to chew and I provide tons of chew toys which she puts to good use. When outside she finds a stick or anything she can chew. Inside, she has never chewed a shoe or furniture or anything else till I brought home a basket to sit on the hearth. She managed to nibble away a part of the corner on the second day. If I see her near it, I make an abrupt sound that gets her attention and tell her no. That usually diverts her attention but I can't be here 24/7. I have been putting it up on a table when I go to work but really want her to learn that chewing on it isn't appropriate.

While all three dogs are happy to see me arrive home or even come back downstairs after even a few minutes...she is way past happy, like delirious. She is much more high strung than my other dogs but sometimes this extreme reaction is overwhelming. I have considered it may be separation anxiety or puppy exuberance. I enjoy the happy greetings but she really is over the top.

Any ideas?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
25-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Today the vet told me that my cat is having problems with her kidneys....

pray for me.

LOL

But no seriously she is having trouble. : ( Tomorrow I get the results, I hope it's not serious.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
25-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Yep. We have 4 dogs and 2 cats.
Kokoro the tiger, Fatso Frogtree another tiger..
Woofie a black Aussie Sheepdog, Nikita a white Aussie, Pancho aka "The Weasel" Chihuahua, and Sophia the Whippet... They all get along but even though Woofie has been "clipped" he likes to jump on things like Sophia... Nikki will have none of it... she has the weight and height to bust a cap in his butt... The Weasel is a horny dog too. Nikki just steps on his head. I guess I shouldn't be revealing their personal lives but it will give you a small idea of what we have to deal with each day. Our daily routine revolves around pleasing the little bastards. We love 'em. They bring miles of smiles into our live each day. I'm retired so I don't deal much with the big bad world. My wife works at a Middle School so... some days are better than others and when she gets home Woofie always jumps in the car to kiss her. ...Woofie!!

[url=https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4018693540465&set=a.1430258311202.57048.1075187082&type=1&theater]Nikki!!

Pets... Pets = Love..

"There is no God, but Dog" ...Bowing
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes YankeeinParadise's post
26-09-2012, 01:48 AM
Red Tornado, cats tend to have problems with the kidneys and also with the bladder because they are naturally not drinking a lot. How old is the cat and what are you currently feeding her usually?
If it is a lot of dry food, you should consider swapping that and give wet food instead. Or at least put water in the dry food and let it absorb so the cat gets fluid by eating.

(here it goes Big Grin I am the cat-version of Dom Big Grin )

- Wotsefack?! -