Do you have pets?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2012, 05:20 PM
RE: Do you have pets?
(26-09-2012 05:05 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, there is a difference between a large dog that is over reacting because she is finally free and has been chained all her life, and a smaller dog that is just naturally excitable.

And I don't just mean that an overly exuberant large dog can be even dangerous and knock people over. There is definitely a difference between the behavior of smaller and larger dogs, and that is why most people like either one or the other and seldom both.

An exuberant boxer can be a "wrigglebutt" and that expresses the excitement fully, a smaller dog will be wriggling the entire body, resulting in spinning around. Trying to make a Chihuahua act like a great Dane is not only impossible, it's cruel. They are not built the same way.

Of course a Spaniel is not a Chihuahua, but it's also not a Boxer.

Here we have two other Spaniels in the house, albeit older. But we have a comparison in personality traits for the same type dog in the same environment. And this one just has a higher metabolism, a new puppy generally molds itself after the older resident dogs and this is not happening here. And you are right Leela, if the older dogs recognized the rumbunctiousness as just bad behavior, they would likey step in and nip. But they are not doing that, they recognize the behavior as personality.

Knowing as little as I do about the dogs here, my best guess is that the new guy doesn't understand that no means no and it always means no and it is to be obeyed.
No won't fix the innate exciteability, but it will confine it to the floor for instance, no jumping up. It will stop the barking. And whatever other annoying habits there are.

With a proper understanding of "no", the excitement can continue to exist, but it should not interfere with the functioning and happiness of people.

And Leela, I doubt your dog is overly exciteable. If she didn't overreact for the next several months, I would suspect she was sick, physically or mentally. Coming from her background into the new situation, she is partially extremely happy and partially extremely stressed. All that will stop by itself in time, and it's fine and productive to show her what is not acceptable, but no matter what, she needs time to adjust to a totally alien life. She is like a child that was raised by wolves in the forest and is suddenly dropped in the middle of a city. It's overwhelming. She will overreact. And calming and reassuring guidance is all it will take and she will be herself in a few months. She hasn't even developed a personality as yet.... you're still in for a treat when she does. Boxers can be super comical. She will bring you a lot of laughter as yet...
Ok that makes sense, I didn't realize it was such a small doggy.

btw when our boxer wags her tail, half her body wags with it Big Grin It looks so funny Big Grin
You are so right about the laughter, she is quite a clown.
Actually today she had the idea to bring me her bone so I threw it again, and she brought it again. She learns how to play, isn't that quite sweet?
And as she has calmed down and adjusted so fast already I am very positive that she will be really happy with us.
And yes, sure, with her background this is extreme happiness and extreme stress, but as I said, she gets calmer by the day. Sometimes she gets a little scared of something sudden but the good thing is, that she checks us out before she reacts. And she sees that we are calm and have the situation under control, so most of the time, she will look at us and as we don't do anything, she doesn't even get up.
Today on out long walk I had to correct her a lot less than just two days ago, she is making big steps and already tries to please a lot, and she is really really trying.
Last week this time she was soooo fighting with herself to not jump at us for her cuddling, and she sat down and was so excited that she couldn't sit still, but she tried so hard, so of course we cuddled her. And by now she can sit calm and look at us when she wants her cuddle. So proud of her Smile

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Dom,
It's funny you mention spinning around. If you ask if the dogs want to go out, which is usually a response to getting stared at, Karma will head to the door, but if you take too long to get there (like a nanosecond) she starts spinning around. She loves, loves, loves being outside.

When I get home she bounces up and down, wags her tail all the way to her ears and yaps a few times. I try to get my purse or whatever else I have put down quickly so I can sit down in the chair or on the floor. She then hugs me. She is so funny, she does this to me and my husband. She comes up and puts a front paw on each of our shoulders and then lays the side of her face on the side of ours, first one side and then the other. After this little ritual she seems to be okay. Not sure who is training who most of the time. She is much worse when I pick her up from grooming. Then the hug isn't enough...I sit on the floor and she tries to climb on my head she is so excited. I would be really screwed if she were a large breed! Shocking

I'll definitely be trying out the pepper idea on the basket she munched and the one she didn't yet, or I may try something like cinnamon oil, that way it will taste too strong but the smell for the rest of us will be okay. The other two dogs are completely disinterested in the baskets and haven't so much as sniffed them.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
27-09-2012, 06:44 AM
(26-09-2012 09:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Dom,
It's funny you mention spinning around. If you ask if the dogs want to go out, which is usually a response to getting stared at, Karma will head to the door, but if you take too long to get there (like a nanosecond) she starts spinning around. She loves, loves, loves being outside.

When I get home she bounces up and down, wags her tail all the way to her ears and yaps a few times. I try to get my purse or whatever else I have put down quickly so I can sit down in the chair or on the floor. She then hugs me. She is so funny, she does this to me and my husband. She comes up and puts a front paw on each of our shoulders and then lays the side of her face on the side of ours, first one side and then the other. After this little ritual she seems to be okay. Not sure who is training who most of the time. She is much worse when I pick her up from grooming. Then the hug isn't enough...I sit on the floor and she tries to climb on my head she is so excited. I would be really screwed if she were a large breed! Shocking

I'll definitely be trying out the pepper idea on the basket she munched and the one she didn't yet, or I may try something like cinnamon oil, that way it will taste too strong but the smell for the rest of us will be okay. The other two dogs are completely disinterested in the baskets and haven't so much as sniffed them.

Yep, either a strong scent or taste should do it. I think it just reminds her of her sticks in scent and taste .

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-09-2012, 07:54 AM
This is how Sock relaxed today Big Grin

[Image: IMGA0247.jpg]

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 4 users Like Leerob's post
29-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Aww, Leela you have your very own upside down dog! Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
29-09-2012, 11:16 AM
hehe we had our weekend superlong walk today. Normally we go outside for a short time a few times a day and about 20-30 minutes as "long walk".
But on the weekend we have a very long walk. For the very long walk we are out like 2 hours or so. We walk to the Park, through the Park, to the water (there is a river behind the park with huge banks). At the river we let her run on the long leash and sniff around and and drink, etc. And then we walk back.
Now she is so tired that all she did was drink and then go to her place and fall asleep immediately Big Grin

- Wotsefack?! -
29-09-2012, 11:19 AM
So now Zombie Cat moved into my room. I'm lying down trying to get my Gwynnie fix and this cat is sprawled across my chest, the poster child of Not Helping... and if I don't pet him, it's either the head butt or the claws. Fucking cats...

Hey! Anybody need a cat? Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-09-2012, 12:28 PM
(29-09-2012 11:19 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  So now Zombie Cat moved into my room. I'm lying down trying to get my Gwynnie fix and this cat is sprawled across my chest, the poster child of Not Helping... and if I don't pet him, it's either the head butt or the claws. Fucking cats...

Hey! Anybody need a cat? Big Grin

That's because cats rule! You should switch to a new goddess:

[Image: cat.jpg]

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
29-09-2012, 05:40 PM
haha, I think we broke the dog lol. Like ... from 2 hours walk, of course again with good brain works for her, she is so done.
As I said, she went to drink and then passed out. Since then she's been sleeping. She got up a few times, when I cooked she looked, when I put more water in her bowl, when I offered her some ground meat, and once to give me a wet kiss and be caressed a little. But apart from that, sleeping Big Grin
I am also sure that, during the walk, she peed out more than she drank hahaha

Gonna fill her water and food, let her sniff the night air, and then going to bed myself I guess.

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
29-09-2012, 06:57 PM
No breaking the dog, Leela. Tongue

Looking forward to winter when I can do that with Monster Dog. Now, there's too many (edible) people around. Evil_monster

And I've been itching to draw me some Gwynnies... maybe as Bastet? In the leather? Nah, I don't have a one-track mind... I got a broke switching yard! That's it. Yes

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post