Do you have pets?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2012, 12:43 PM
RE: Do you have pets?
Took the mutts on a walk this morning. The plan is to cook all day (making spaghetti sauce right now thanks to Dom) so I wanted them nice and tired. It's the first snow of the year, so they were excited as all hell! Wandered in the fields and woods for about two hours. The little one caught a mouse, and the staffie caught a rabbit (that she shared with the border collie). Now they are tired out, they have full bellies, and happy as pigs in shit! Looks like I have three furry puddles on the floor right now.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
05-10-2012, 12:49 PM
(05-10-2012 12:42 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 12:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  I agree on the bounty. Or, we could throw the person in Drago's run and feed the remainder to the catfish in my pond.

I have a dog now from such a puppymill cleanup - the Mop was one of some 30 puppies and the breeder got evicted and the dogs had no place to go. He has a deformed leg from bad breeding, but he doesn't know it and it's not that obvious, and he was too young to have psychologcial damage.

Hubby and I once rescued a Pom from a puppy mill - that dog was messed up. 2 year old male. Always been caged. We had to fish him out of our van with a fishing net, he was determined to resist us and he was lethal and fast.

Once in the house, we ended up having to put him in a cage, it was the only place he felt safe. We put that in the middle of the living room. We had to leave a leash on him even in there so we could retrieve him to go potty. You could not touch that dog.

So hubby took to sitting outside reading, and I dragged the dog out to be out there with him, on a looong leash. It took like 3 months for him to be able to live without his cage. Lol, usually I have to try to get a dog used to a kennel, this one had to be conditioned to do without it.

He ended up being hubby's dog, joined at the hip, those two. He lived to be 14, loved hubby, tolerated me and hated everyone else. He didn't bite people, but if anyone tried to touch hubby he growled and looked ferocious.

Stories like this are why I never felt bad causing somebody legal hassles when I did Animal Control. Wathcing people mess up animals to that point really ticks me off. Your dog was lucky to get a good home, some shelters would just rather put them down if they're that damaged.

We have a "breeder" in Ma. that says they have over 70 breeds! really? A legitimate breeeder dealing with more than 70 breeds? I despise these people.

If he had ever gone to a shelter, he would surely have been put down, he was a wild animal. He came directly to us from someone who helped clear out that puppy mill, so that he would have a chance. Probably that person broke some rules....

70 breeds? I shudder at 70 dogs....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-10-2012, 12:52 PM
(05-10-2012 12:42 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 12:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  I agree on the bounty. Or, we could throw the person in Drago's run and feed the remainder to the catfish in my pond.

I have a dog now from such a puppymill cleanup - the Mop was one of some 30 puppies and the breeder got evicted and the dogs had no place to go. He has a deformed leg from bad breeding, but he doesn't know it and it's not that obvious, and he was too young to have psychologcial damage.

Hubby and I once rescued a Pom from a puppy mill - that dog was messed up. 2 year old male. Always been caged. We had to fish him out of our van with a fishing net, he was determined to resist us and he was lethal and fast.

Once in the house, we ended up having to put him in a cage, it was the only place he felt safe. We put that in the middle of the living room. We had to leave a leash on him even in there so we could retrieve him to go potty. You could not touch that dog.

So hubby took to sitting outside reading, and I dragged the dog out to be out there with him, on a looong leash. It took like 3 months for him to be able to live without his cage. Lol, usually I have to try to get a dog used to a kennel, this one had to be conditioned to do without it.

He ended up being hubby's dog, joined at the hip, those two. He lived to be 14, loved hubby, tolerated me and hated everyone else. He didn't bite people, but if anyone tried to touch hubby he growled and looked ferocious.

Stories like this are why I never felt bad causing somebody legal hassles when I did Animal Control. Wathcing people mess up animals to that point really ticks me off. Your dog was lucky to get a good home, some shelters would just rather put them down if they're that damaged.

We have a "breeder" in Ma. that says they have over 70 breeds! really? A legitimate breeeder dealing with more than 70 breeds? I despise these people.

70 breeds?? I have a shot gun I would love to show that "breeder". I got a shell for each breed, and he can have em all. Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
05-10-2012, 12:52 PM
(05-10-2012 12:49 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 12:42 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Stories like this are why I never felt bad causing somebody legal hassles when I did Animal Control. Wathcing people mess up animals to that point really ticks me off. Your dog was lucky to get a good home, some shelters would just rather put them down if they're that damaged.

If he had ever gone to a shelter, he would surely have been put down, he was a wild animal. He came directly to us from someone who helped clear out that puppy mill, so that he would have a chance. Probably that person broke some rules....

Glad you got the little guys first Smile

I know, I'm sure when they are all caged all the time and not cared for, it's a little easier logistically. Maybe they act as a middle man and get them shipped from breeders...one can hope.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
05-10-2012, 01:02 PM
(05-10-2012 12:52 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 12:49 PM)Dom Wrote:  If he had ever gone to a shelter, he would surely have been put down, he was a wild animal. He came directly to us from someone who helped clear out that puppy mill, so that he would have a chance. Probably that person broke some rules....

Glad you got the little guys first Smile

I know, I'm sure when they are all caged all the time and not cared for, it's a little easier logistically. Maybe they act as a middle man and get them shipped from breeders...one can hope.

Probably it's a brokerage for puppy mills...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Our dog thinks she is a kangaroo Big Grin
She can bounce around like one for sure, like she sits and from the sitting position she jumps into the next sitting position o.O Telling ya, it's a kangaroo in a dog costume and I am gonna change her friggen name! Into Kangaroo... Or Yoghurt...

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
15-10-2012, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2012 11:54 AM by Leerob.)
And here is LeelaDog:

[Image: IMGA0304.jpg]

I think she feels kind well here Big Grin She is doing this posture a lot Big Grin

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 5 users Like Leerob's post
15-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Every now and then our African Gray decides she is a nudist and proceeds to pluck all the feathers she can reach. She's healthy and I try to keep her entertained with new toys but a few weeks ago she looked ready to go in the stew pot.

I got a powdered vitamin to add to her water and in just a couple weeks she had tons of little white fulffy feathers and now is actually started to get some of her real feathers back with even a couple nice tail feathers! I had told her she better quit plucking since we are supposed to have a colder than normal winter and she was going to freeze if she remained naked...guess she listened. She's starting to be pretty again.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
15-10-2012, 10:32 AM
(15-10-2012 07:56 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Every now and then our African Gray decides she is a nudist and proceeds to pluck all the feathers she can reach. She's healthy and I try to keep her entertained with new toys but a few weeks ago she looked ready to go in the stew pot.

I got a powdered vitamin to add to her water and in just a couple weeks she had tons of little white fulffy feathers and now is actually started to get some of her real feathers back with even a couple nice tail feathers! I had told her she better quit plucking since we are supposed to have a colder than normal winter and she was going to freeze if she remained naked...guess she listened. She's starting to be pretty again.

I have a goffin's cockatoo I raised from the egg some 15 years ago. He has plucked from the beginning, the first feather that came out and ever since. It is a skin condition, where the emerging feather feels like an ingrown hair to him. He'll never quit, it's ingrained now. He has some feathers, but looks very ragged. Over his lifetie we have tried every conceivable diet with no results.

His younger brother has never plucked and likely never will. Exact same upbringing, same parents, same diet, same attention.

If a bird only plucks once in a bue moon, more often it's lack of attention he has grown used to at a certain time, change in diet, too may baths or some temporary skin irritation.

If you make a big fuss everytime you see him plucking, it encourages him. Any kind of unusual reaction on your part is attention. Parrots love drama of all kinds.

15-10-2012, 11:53 AM
oh when you guys mention parrots. we used to have one when I was a kid.
His name was Koko and he was yellow.
And he knew his name.
So everytime he would shout a lot my mother would tell him very firmly "Koko!" (not shout, just a firm mother voice).
At some point he adapted that, so he would shout a little and then tell himself very firmly "Koko!"
Big Grin

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post