Do you have pets?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2012, 12:01 PM
RE: Do you have pets?
That is why I didn't get another rat terrier after Poppins passed, we moved out to the country and I enjoy the wild life. My dogs are trained to leave everything alone. No chasing.

We used to have a female skunk living under the barn. She knew us and didn't bother with us. Last year she disappeared and left two orphaned baby skunks. The dogs befriended them. It looked hilarious! The skunks were too young to shoot, and when they got off age they were best buddies with the dogs and us and all was well. When mating season came around they took off to look for mates and we haven't seen them since. Musta been two males, a female would have stuck around and had a litter here. The females appear to establish a territory and you only ever have one resident skunk. Young ones go off into the big world to find their own places.

Anyway, I trained the dogs one at a time to leave wild life alone. They will point it out and try to walk up and sniff it now, but they won't chase it or hurt it. We have a lot of wild life, the above skunks, raccons I'd rather not see around, opossums (the janitors of the wild), ducks, geese, turkeys, deer and 4 pea hens who have taken up residence in a tall tree and who keep the gardens pest free. The Pea hens are the only wild animals allowed in the gardens.

Here is a pea hen peeking in the window:

[Image: DSCF0306.jpg]

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
02-06-2012, 06:38 PM
(02-06-2012 07:44 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Aww geez, first we had the baby squirrels that I had to have rescued a couple months back and now we have a hutch of rabbits. One has already lost the fight with the Rat Terrier. The mom was under the tree this morning where the bird feeders are having a snack with the birds. I had to restrain three crazy dogs till she decided to go back to her hiding place. Till they move on, I will have to do a yard check before letting my crazy murderous dogs out.

Why can't these animal alert their kind that our yard isn't critter friendly?

The smart ones learn on their own. My whole damn neighborhood is having a rat problem except for Fort FatBoy with the 20 some odd beagles. Rats are smart, after they lost a couple of scouts to the dogs they haven't been back. Squirrels are smart, too. They know the dogs can't climb so they sit on the top of the 6' privacy fence and taunt them. Rabbits ... well, they ain't very smart but the privacy fence keeps them out of the yard.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
02-06-2012, 07:01 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2012 07:11 PM by Anjele.)
Damn rabbits come under the gate of the privacy fence...only place they can squeeze in.

When we had out cats Murphy was seen batting his paw in the spa connected to the pool, upon further inspection it was learned that he was batting a bunny corpse around and around the in the water....EEEWWWWWW! Bunny and chlorine soup.

As many bunnies as lost their lives here before the coyotes killed my cats, you would think they would have stayed away.

Guess they thought the dogs were safe.

The baby squirrels were so young they didn't know to be afraid of anything...not even me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
02-06-2012, 07:02 PM
(02-06-2012 12:01 PM)Dom Wrote:  That is why I didn't get another rat terrier after Poppins passed, we moved out to the country and I enjoy the wild life. My dogs are trained to leave everything alone. No chasing.

We used to have a female skunk living under the barn. She knew us and didn't bother with us. Last year she disappeared and left two orphaned baby skunks. The dogs befriended them. It looked hilarious! The skunks were too young to shoot, and when they got off age they were best buddies with the dogs and us and all was well. When mating season came around they took off to look for mates and we haven't seen them since. Musta been two males, a female would have stuck around and had a litter here. The females appear to establish a territory and you only ever have one resident skunk. Young ones go off into the big world to find their own places.

Anyway, I trained the dogs one at a time to leave wild life alone. They will point it out and try to walk up and sniff it now, but they won't chase it or hurt it. We have a lot of wild life, the above skunks, raccons I'd rather not see around, opossums (the janitors of the wild), ducks, geese, turkeys, deer and 4 pea hens who have taken up residence in a tall tree and who keep the gardens pest free. The Pea hens are the only wild animals allowed in the gardens.

Here is a pea hen peeking in the window:

[Image: DSCF0306.jpg]
That's awesome...she looks bigger than all my dogs...perhaps big enough to keep them at bay.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

05-06-2012, 10:46 AM
(02-06-2012 06:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The smart ones learn on their own.

Yeah, huh? Neighbor's yard gets full of birds. Not this yard. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
07-06-2012, 09:33 AM
I have 2 cats.

This is my serious man cat
[Image: DSCF0055.jpg]

Here is my chubby lady cat as seen in another thread
[Image: DSCF0048.jpg]

Frankie de la Cunto
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
07-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Finallly figured out how to post picture from the computer.
The Prophet Sly. This is the only picture I could find of him though.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Under Repair.
07-06-2012, 02:33 PM
(07-06-2012 01:39 PM)itsacow Wrote:  Finallly figured out how to post picture from the computer.
The Prophet Sly. This is the only picture I could find of him though.
He looks like he needs to learn how to relax. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Poor Chopper is woozy and unhappy. Not sure what's worse for him...the neutering or the collar he has to wear.

[img][Image: P6180164.jpg]<br][/img][/img]

18-06-2012, 07:36 PM
(18-06-2012 07:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Poor Chopper is woozy and unhappy. Not sure what's worse for him...the neutering or the collar he has to wear.

[img][Image: P6180164.jpg]<br][/img][/img]
The neutering, duh.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post