Do you have pets?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2012, 03:42 PM
RE: Do you have pets?
(26-07-2012 02:33 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  I add mix to the meat for one simple reason: to stop Ben inhaling the food into his lungs. He eats very fast and the mixer slows him down. A little. Dodgy

Ha -yea- we did that for our big farm dog Goldie, too. It seemed like she would just suck down food before she even knew there was anything in her mouth!! Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
26-07-2012, 04:23 PM
I often feed the cheapest hamburger, cooked, with small ice cubes in it to slow the dog down. But - dogs eat a lot less if it's real food, they may gulp it down and want more but once it's all in the stomach they feel sated with a fraction of the volume of kibble.

There are raw dog diets, and they are the best, but they are expensive. They actually go through more intensive testing for parasites etc. than people food because they are eaten raw. So it's actually not such a good idea to feed them raw people food, when I feed meat produced for people I cook it. leftover meat s fine too, but watch the fat ratio, no more than 20% or they get the runs. Some fat is needed.

For summer treats - ice cubes made from chicken broth. Boy, do they all love that!

I used to have a Great Dane who stole tomatoes and ate them, as many as she could get. I had to banish her from the veggie garden. She was so tall that no tomato was safe. She also ate the little knobs off wild chamomile. Maybe that's why she was so mellow, lol, there was a ton of it growing in her run.

Drago tries to help and pulls squash off the vines, I am breaking him of that, the squash are none to appetizing after he has had them. He means well and brings them to me, but...... yuck.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Ha! Tomatoes - that's hysterical! My Grandpa had a little terrier for a while who would go into the garden and eat a watermelon -what the hell?! He had to be watched... the little Rat... which was his name.

Although he was a good boy, there wasn't a whole lot my Rafer wouldn't eat... except bananas. He HATED bananas... you couldn't put one near his face. Strange.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
26-07-2012, 04:55 PM
(26-07-2012 04:50 PM)kim Wrote:  Ha! Tomatoes - that's hysterical! My Grandpa had a little terrier for a while who would go into the garden and eat a watermelon -what the hell?! He had to be watched... the little Rat... which was his name.

Although he was a good boy, there wasn't a whole lot my Rafer wouldn't eat... except bananas. He HATED bananas... you couldn't put one near his face. Strange.

I had a Siamese who liked asparagus. With her lobster.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-07-2012, 06:02 PM
One of the vet techs at our vet's office adopted big lab mix that had been neglected and apparently not fed regularly. She said she put tennis balls in his food to slow him down so he wouldn't gobble it all down so fast. The poor thing ate like that because he still was unsure of when his next meal would come. I thought it was a pretty clever idea. Once he knows that he will be fed on a regular basis, she will be able to stop with the tennis ball garnish.

Our Lady (also a rescue) picks out the dark pieces of food and lays them on the floor around the food bowl while she eats the other kibble. Luckily the other dogs aren't as picky, they clean up her mess.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
29-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Well, of course the way to stop a dog from eating too fast (which can cause bloat among other things) is to feed little and often.

A starved dog like the one above really should never be fed large meals, not for months. It's not healthy for them. Often and little is the solution there.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-07-2012, 07:47 AM
(29-07-2012 07:39 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, of course the way to stop a dog from eating too fast (which can cause bloat among other things) is to feed little and often.

A starved dog like the one above really should never be fed large meals, not for months. It's not healthy for them. Often and little is the solution there.

I feed Ben twice a day; when I wake up and when I go to bed. This makes him a remarkably insistent alarm clock in the mornings... which usually start with me getting my face licked and muttering "Yes! Yes, yes yes! I'm getting up!"

As for slowing him down, the ball-in-the-bowl solution didn't work for him. He could flick that ball around like a Harlem Globetrotter... leaving an empty bowl and a slimey ball. It added a couple of seconds to his scoffing-time.
29-07-2012, 08:42 AM
(29-07-2012 07:47 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(29-07-2012 07:39 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, of course the way to stop a dog from eating too fast (which can cause bloat among other things) is to feed little and often.

I feed Ben twice a day; when I wake up and when I go to bed. This makes him a remarkably insistent alarm clock in the mornings... which usually start with me getting my face licked and muttering "Yes! Yes, yes yes! I'm getting up!"

As for slowing him down, the ball-in-the-bowl solution didn't work for him. He could flick that ball around like a Harlem Globetrotter... leaving an empty bowl and a slimey ball. It added a couple of seconds to his scoffing-time.

They also make a variety of special bowls for that:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/fee...-food.html

29-07-2012, 08:57 AM
My little crew doesn't have the gorging problem. But they all seem to be hungry at different times. I just keep the bowls full all the time. None are overweight, so that seems to work around here.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
29-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Somebody said oatmeal for my big scratchy George. I tole these peeps, I ain't washing my buddy with that cheap crap no morez, and I made 'em roll out to Petco and get the good shit. This morning, wet puppy. We'll hafta see how it works. Thumbsup

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post