Do you judge people more by what they admire, or by what they despise?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Star Do you judge people more by what they admire, or by what they despise?
When you truly try to know someone, do you judge them by what they admire, or by what they despise? Why?

Choose one or the other if you're responding.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2012, 01:59 AM
RE: Do you judge people more by what they admire, or by what they despise?
Both and many more factors go into the judgement-process.

Are you asking if I (we) sentence / condemn them based on those judgements?

I don't.

This is because I do not hold with the idea of "free-will".

The closest I get to condemning someone is to "detach" them from me (or my social circle) if I had reason to doubt their integrity (lying, cheating, betrayal).

This is more to do with self-preservation and probably says more about me than them.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
03-11-2012, 02:22 AM
It's a balance. I could get hung up on either, neither or both. Probably depends on the context or severity of what is at hand. Also I prefer not 'judge' but understand.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
03-11-2012, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 03:26 AM by ClydeLee.)
Re: Do you judge people more by what they admire, or by what they despise?
Mostly just admire when it comes to minor details.

People are different so I don't bother with caring if they despise something. I don't "JUDGE" them in any negative way for such an act. I generally can understand why a person doesn't like a certain thing.

At least I take the word judge in a negative sense but in not sure you meant that.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
03-11-2012, 03:04 AM
I find myself wondering off when someone tells me what they admire.. unless they make actions to be like or work towards that.. but when someone dislikes or despises something I want to know why so it becomes an interesting conversation.. I would not say that I judge based on either.. but more interested in what people dislike.. again unless its a passion that they live .. like flying .. scuba.. skydiving.. running.. playing chess..video games ( and yes aside from chess I just named all of my hobbies--eek)..but really just any passions that makes a person more well rounded and interesting.. in mho at least..

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 1 user Likes k37713's post
03-11-2012, 03:16 AM
(03-11-2012 03:04 AM)k37713 Wrote:  I find myself wondering off when someone tells me what they admire.. unless they make actions to be like or work towards that.. but when someone dislikes or despises something I want to know why so it becomes an interesting conversation.. I would not say that I judge based on either.. but more interested in what people dislike.. again unless its a passion that they live .. like flying .. scuba.. skydiving.. running.. playing chess..video games ( and yes aside from chess I just named all of my hobbies--eek)..but really just any passions that makes a person more well rounded and interesting.. in mho at least..
I can agree with that. Common ground is common ground. It's definitely interesting when someone despises something since it makes you go, "Hm, why is that? Please, do tell." but it's just as nice to find someone with common interests as well.

I can't say I would really side on one or the other, since different people have different behaviors, likes and dislikes. I think a mirror image of myself, I might find... strange.

Sometimes it's just as interesting to find someone who dislikes the same things in common, as it is for someone who likes the same things in common.
03-11-2012, 03:49 AM
(03-11-2012 03:16 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 03:04 AM)k37713 Wrote:  I find myself wondering off when someone tells me what they admire.. unless they make actions to be like or work towards that.. but when someone dislikes or despises something I want to know why so it becomes an interesting conversation.. I would not say that I judge based on either.. but more interested in what people dislike.. again unless its a passion that they live .. like flying .. scuba.. skydiving.. running.. playing chess..video games ( and yes aside from chess I just named all of my hobbies--eek)..but really just any passions that makes a person more well rounded and interesting.. in mho at least..
I can agree with that. Common ground is common ground. It's definitely interesting when someone despises something since it makes you go, "Hm, why is that? Please, do tell." but it's just as nice to find someone with common interests as well.

I can't say I would really side on one or the other, since different people have different behaviors, likes and dislikes. I think a mirror image of myself, I might find... strange.

Sometimes it's just as interesting to find someone who dislikes the same things in common, as it is for someone who likes the same things in common.
I was kinda trying to tackle it from the admire stance.. instead of a common like or interest.. but i agree with what you said 100 percent..but the word admire to me. would be how I admire someone who skydives.. however i don't want to talk much about it.. yet.. because i haven't at done it .. so i find it annoying when someone says they like something and or take over the conversation when they haven't at least made an active pursuit and or have plans to do so in the near future... I find it extremely annoying when people pipe in about things they have no idea about and butcher the shit out of it.. like so many people do ,including myself at times when it comes to flying and airplanes ( i only have 70 hours and most of my pilot friends have been flying almost the entirity (sp) of their lives ) so while its fun to talk about the interest in flying with said one of my friends .. I admire their efforts not the common ground of loving the sky. I hope that made sense.. haha.. drunk face.. 430 am..

03-11-2012, 03:59 AM
I'm not too keen on the word 'judge', either. It's more about forming an opinion. And as someone said above, if it's not a positive opinion I make sure that person's not in my life (usually, by leaving). And for that the smallest thing could be a trigger, 'cause as Fernando Pessoa said "Put all you are into the smallest thing you do."
What I really don't like, however, are people who agree with everything you say, in order to ingratiate themselves with you (or people who expect everyone to think the way they do and like the things they like). It doesn't even have to be a conscious strategy, I'm sure some people don't even realise they're doing it, but I still find it extremely off-putting. (Of course, I've had the weirdest experience of having someone copy my entire personality, everything I did and said and liked... She would even tell stories that had happened to me as if they had happened to her. And she'd do it in my presence. Possibly the most surreal experience of my life Shocking )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
03-11-2012, 04:15 AM
Vera,
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.. While it can be very annoying.. its not something to be put off by if you can get past the annoyance of it.. but something to be proud of in a way.. that person.. like who and what you are.. and wants for people to perceive her how she perceives you. Which a lot of people will say that they don't care about what people feel say or perceive about them.. that is rarely the case.. so take the compliment you must be an awesome gal Smile ( this is meant as a compliment not a lecture on who or what you should like )

03-11-2012, 04:47 AM
I judge people all the time:

I was watching this show about people who win the lottery and this one guy won 350 million dollars.
He took pride in not changing his lifestyle and he still didn't have any teeth. WHAT? If I won 350 million dollars i would be buying other people teeth. I would be walking down the street and be like "hey, smile want some teeth"? Speaking as a guy with a full set of chompers I can tell you that having teeth is FUCKING AWESOME Because if you have teeth not only will you get to enjoy the cuisines of the world but you also won't look like.....well, like you haven't got any fucking teeth.

People tell me I shouldn't judge people but I believe you should judge people. People judge people all the time, if anyone says they don't they are lying and if they aren't lying they are stupid. Judging people is how you get through life.

Like whenever I see a guy with no teeth I think "hmm I bet he knows where to get some crystal meth"

If I see a guy wearing Velcro strap sandals I think "hmm there is a guy who hates to get laid"

Guys with pony tails, HOLY SHIT that is a bold look. There are only 2 kinds of guys who wear pony tails, rapists and folk singers. So if you see a guy with a pony tail and he doesn't have a banjo, you better run, that guy is gonna fuck you.
[+] 3 users Like I and I's post