Do you like feminism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 07:08 PM
RE: Do you like feminism?
[quote='Mittens Deluxe' pid='993324' dateline='1462820538']
Of course there's reasons why culture has formed the way it is. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's good though.

The society we're living in shaped by humans, which is so subject to error, more than half the population of the world probably still thinks the sun revolves around the earth. So I would completely discount your arguments grounds for culture being shaped by human nature.
[/quote]

I never claimed it was good, I pointed out reality.

You can change what people believe, by showing them the evidence and educating them, that's how the enlightenment came about. Humans are as much a product of evolutionary pressures in environment, including things like food availability and climate. If you claim otherwise I'm going to need to see a citation backing your claim otherwise I'm dismissing all you say as baseless and non-factual

[quote='Mittens Deluxe' pid='993324' dateline='1462820538'
I don't believe gender norms should influence anyone's lives at all. I believe men should embrace their feminine side, cross dress, and women should as well. I do believe however, that masculinity is a more dominating factor in society. I may be ignorant about this, but I think there's more stigma against men being feminine than women being masculine, but after seeing some of the footage of the transgender bathroom issue with cops arresting a woman for just looking like a man, I'd be willing to be the issue effects men and women equally. Gender norms need to be smashed.
[/quote]

Oh I fully acknowledge that such a thing as a social construct exists, my contention is that our biology influences us as well and that making everything into a social construct dismisses the role our biology plays. Society is not a hierarchy where men impose everything on woman. The views of woman shape society as much as men's do.

Mate selection criteria plays a role in our biology, we are no different to other mammals in that regard. Where we do differ is that we have a pseudo-tournament system with pair bonding, where as most mammals and many primates fall into one or the other.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2016, 06:24 PM
(01-05-2016 05:26 PM)BnW Wrote:  The reality is that for many years men got fucked in these situations. The laws have changed considerably in a lot of states but I honestly have no idea how ubiquitous that is nation wide. It could be LDH had a shitty lawyer who screwed him over, or it could be that he's not telling us the whole story, but it could also be he lived in a state who hasn't caught up to the 21st century.

I know at least for me... (a female resident of Texas) when my ex-husband and I got divorced, my lawyer made absolutely no mention of "well you're guaranteed to get the kids if this thing goes to court because you're a woman". No mention at all. And this is fucking Texas, ffs. But I digress.

Maybe that was just this particular law firm, but I made mention of my ex's financial instability and his hit-and-miss work history more than once and that made not one iota of difference. My lawyer told me that the judges/courts want to see equal time given to both parents because it's better for the kids.

Now I will say that I had all kinds of laypeople telling me that I'd for sure get the kids if I went to court because moms "always" get the kids but if my legal counsel wasn't saying the same thing, I wasn't going to take a chance.

Find all posts by this user
10-05-2016, 07:05 PM
(10-05-2016 06:24 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 05:26 PM)BnW Wrote:  The reality is that for many years men got fucked in these situations. The laws have changed considerably in a lot of states but I honestly have no idea how ubiquitous that is nation wide. It could be LDH had a shitty lawyer who screwed him over, or it could be that he's not telling us the whole story, but it could also be he lived in a state who hasn't caught up to the 21st century.

I know at least for me... (a female resident of Texas) when my ex-husband and I got divorced, my lawyer made absolutely no mention of "well you're guaranteed to get the kids if this thing goes to court because you're a woman". No mention at all. And this is fucking Texas, ffs. But I digress.

Maybe that was just this particular law firm, but I made mention of my ex's financial instability and his hit-and-miss work history more than once and that made not one iota of difference. My lawyer told me that the judges/courts want to see equal time given to both parents because it's better for the kids.

Now I will say that I had all kinds of laypeople telling me that I'd for sure get the kids if I went to court because moms "always" get the kids but if my legal counsel wasn't saying the same thing, I wasn't going to take a chance.

I sympathize with your position EA, and in your case it was likely a combination of your legal counsel and the judge, they do have leeway in the assigning of custody but in the majority of cases it is not that way.

Not saying that your wrong however it is a nuanced matter with many factors, but in aggregate woman do have an advantage in custody battles, and why there is a call for the reform of Family Law courts.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user