Do you like feminism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2016, 04:15 PM
RE: Do you like feminism?
I don't look at people as groupsters - I take them or leave them as individuals.

I'm all for equality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Do you like humanism? Do you like atheism? Rationalism? Secularism?

These questions make no sense to me. Also, why the OP thinks that feminists think it's good to be fat is beyond me.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
28-04-2016, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2016 05:00 PM by Unbeliever.)
(28-04-2016 04:35 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Also, why the OP thinks that feminists think it's good to be fat is beyond me.

Third-wave feminism (that is, modern-day versions of it) is incredibly concerned with "intersectionalism", or the idea that various "civil rights" movements are inextricably bound up in one another. One of these movements is the "fat activist" movement.

Fat activism teaches that it's okay to be morbidly obese, that fat people should be considered just as beautiful as thin ones (and that anyone who is not attracted to fat people is a bigot), and that there are no negative health consequences to being fat. Also, diets don't work, there is no correlation between eating too much and being overweight, and doctors who point out that your weight is causing you health issues are liars.

This tends to cross over with third-wave feminism because, to be perfectly honest, most members of the movement are fat, lazy women with entitlement and body image issues. I must stress here that I am not being hyperbolic or merely making fun of these people. This is simple fact. Fat activism is seen as a gendered problem (many fat activists actively reject the idea that body positivity is something that men should be allowed to have), and so there is a lot of overlap with modern feminism.

Fat activism, third-wave feminism, race, and gender have all gotten rolled up together into one great, amorphous mass of internet "activism" recently. As a whole, it's referred to as "identity politics", but most people know it by the more colloquial term: "Social Justice Warriors".

I wrote about this previously in another thread, and this is why it is so important to differentiate between feminism the idea and the modern "feminist movement". One is an important social concept; the other is a bastardized version of it used to justify terrible behavior.

And yes, I'm aware of the incredible amount of air quotes present in the above post. There's really just no way around it, in this case. This topic absolutely merits the disdain.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 5 users Like Unbeliever's post
28-04-2016, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2016 05:05 PM by epronovost.)
(28-04-2016 04:35 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Do you like humanism? Do you like atheism? Rationalism? Secularism?

These questions make no sense to me. Also, why the OP thinks that feminists think it's good to be fat is beyond me.

It might be because one of the biggest hub for young feminists on internet happens to be website that also tackles transexuals and homosexual rights (not uncommon amongst feminism especially if you look down its history), but also racism (nice since racism and sexism have basically the same foundation and the same arguments), bullying, sex positivism (not shared by several branches of feminism) and fat positivism. Since fat positivism is defended on a popular feminist hub, it can give the impression that feminism stand against fatphobia. While its true that the fat positive mouvement has some of its roots in feminist critique of standards of beauty and social comformity the two have grown appart. Right now, the most proactive group in defense of fat positivism is actually linked to gay rights and is championned by gay men.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
28-04-2016, 04:58 PM
I like the goal of feminism, which is to work towards equality for women. Do I like all people calling themselves feminists, nope. Some people who aren't really feminists use the label as "feminist" in order to validate and grow their particular brand of idealism. It doesn't make them feminists but it does confuse the look of what feminism really is. Which can also be a goal if you have it out for women's equality. Nothing easier than to try and diminish a groups power by pointing to vicious outliers and say "see how awful you are". So there's more than one problem that real feminism faces in the PR dept.

Very similar to: I like atheism, I agree with atheism, no gods... but that really is all I have that attaches me to the group label as well. I certainly don't like all atheists. Some of the worst assholes I know are atheists BUT I don't judge atheism by the individuals that claim that label any more than I judge feminism by the individuals who claim that.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
28-04-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm a feminist, an atheist, an American citizen, among other things. I don't like or agree with all feminists, atheists or all American citizens. I wish there weren't so many bullies adept at using social or political causes to justify meanness, but I'm not going to foreswear the USA, feminism, atheism, or my other beloved isms because of that. I'm curious to see what fourth-wave feminism, the reaction to the third-wavers, is going to entail.

If someone makes a bunch of negative assumptions about me solely because I call myself a feminist, so be it.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
28-04-2016, 06:37 PM
(28-04-2016 06:05 PM)julep Wrote:  I'm curious to see what fourth-wave feminism, the reaction to the third-wavers, is going to entail.

There is a fourth one?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
28-04-2016, 06:51 PM
No, I don't like it. Feminism isn't "just equality." That's a mischaracterisation used by feminists to get people to sympathise with their cause before they know too much about it. Feminism, at best, posits that the female sex is oppressed by/under the male sex, due to their conspiracy theory known as patriarchy, and thus efforts should mainly/only focus on improving the legal rights of women. That's feminism at its best: The the most flattering way one can characterise it without lying to you. But it is NOT just 'equality for both sexes.'

Simply ask them for a citation on their grandiose claims and either their version of reality is found objectively wrong when fact-checked, or they will 'cite' unverifiable, vague, broad assertions by feminist pundits - which just amounts to, "yeah well I sorta just feel oppressed."

They regularly act to shut down speaking events - mostly at SJW feminist churches university campuses - where the discussion doesn't cater to their ideology - or worse, stands in opposition to it. Here are some fine college educated femtards totally not being evil mob-mentality fucks who take delight in their own loss of higher thought (honest trigger warning lol):

The 'other' simply don't do shit like this ^ (and if you're going to tell me it's one isolated thing say no more; I have a bazillion videos clearly showcasing feminist mobs at work.)

Don't take my word for it, though. Fact-check everything - we live in the age of the internet - we can do that now.

Also familiarise yourself with the no true scotsman fallacy. It's ever present where there are feminists. It's already stinking this thread up bad, actually.
28-04-2016, 06:59 PM
(28-04-2016 06:51 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  No, I don't like it. Feminism isn't "just equality." That's a mischaracterisation used by feminists to get people to sympathise with their cause before they know too much about it. Feminism, at best, posits that the female sex is oppressed by/under the male sex, due to their conspiracy theory known as patriarchy, and thus efforts should mainly/only focus on improving the legal rights of women. That's feminism at its best: The the most flattering way one can characterise it without lying to you. But it is NOT just 'equality for both sexes.'

Simply ask them for a citation on their grandiose claims and either their version of reality is found objectively wrong when fact-checked, or they will 'cite' unverifiable, vague, broad assertions by feminist pundits - which just amounts to, "yeah well I sorta just feel oppressed."

They regularly act to shut down speaking events - mostly at SJW feminist churches university campuses - where the discussion doesn't cater to their ideology - or worse, stands in opposition to it. Here are some fine college educated femtards totally not being evil mob-mentality fucks who take delight in their own loss of higher thought (honest trigger warning lol):

The 'other' simply don't do shit like this ^ (and if you're going to tell me it's one isolated thing say no more; I have a bazillion videos clearly showcasing feminist mobs at work.)

Don't take my word for it, though. Fact-check everything - we live in the age of the internet - we can do that now.

Also familiarise yourself with the no true scotsman fallacy. It's ever present where there are feminists. It's already stinking this thread up bad, actually.

So what about Christian Hoff Sommers and Camille paglia? I can understand that 3rd wave feminism is cancer, but that can't speak for every feminist movement out there

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
28-04-2016, 07:00 PM
(28-04-2016 06:37 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 06:05 PM)julep Wrote:  I'm curious to see what fourth-wave feminism, the reaction to the third-wavers, is going to entail.

There is a fourth one?

There will be.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post