Do you like feminism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2016, 11:55 AM
RE: Do you like feminism?
(29-04-2016 01:41 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Point is fucked up people who feel entitled to others bodies come in both sexes. By nature of being physically weaker, I imagine women have it worse in these situations, though. If a woman becomes physical with me, I have options available to me because I'm stronger. If a man becomes physical with a woman, she's at the mercy of his will.

I'm aware it happens to men. I had a male coworker who was very attractive, had a body that could have modeled underwear (he wore fitted exercise shirts with his scrubs - sweet baby Jesus). We had a discussion once about how women threw themselves at him - didn't take him long to figure out he needed a female friend with him at the bars downtown to keep them at bay.

That being said, I don't know too many men for whom that's a problem, especially outside of a bar scenario. I know a LOT of women that have to deal with this behavior on a regular basis. You are physically capable of defending yourself against untoward advances. I learned at 16 that the words "no" and "stop" are meaningless if not respected. At present, I'm 5'5 and 107 lbs, I was probably 100lbs on the night to which I'm referring. He was shorter than me, didn't matter. It would take pharmacological assistance and one hell of a plan to rape my 180lb solid muscle 6' coworker. Advances against him are just annoying and uncomfortable - for me it's a legitimate safety threat.

My coworker, too, is pretty shy. Maybe that's it. Consider (He's the dad I thought was going to ask me out last year. Apparently I was not alone in this assumption - a *lot* of people thought he was interested in me. I recently learned he was. He just didn't want to cross the coworker line. Understandable. But that's a bit off topic...)

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Nurse's post
29-04-2016, 06:31 PM
(28-04-2016 07:33 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 07:18 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  'First wave' or 'suffrage feminists' were cancerous in their own right. They were quite racist as fuck. They were largely driving the white feather campaign, too.

Yeah they had their bad eggs, but the first wave did give women the right to vote. Many civil rights movements have their baddies, but what is important is that they open up opportunities to people who need it.

They also outlawed alcohol. But that did lead us to the first sexual revolution in the form of the flapper, who wore shorter skirts, smoked and drank in speakeasys. And they cut their hair (how shocking).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

29-04-2016, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2016 06:57 PM by GirlyMan.)
Let me ask ManlyGirl. "Do you want me to kick you in the nuts fatboy?" Yup, I like feminism. I have lived and worked in a matriarchy my entire life. From what I've seen men are far worse managers than women.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-04-2016, 07:12 PM
(29-04-2016 06:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Let me ask ManlyGirl. "Do you want me to kick you in the nuts fatboy?"

Sounds to me like Steve Shive's relationship with his wife lol.

(This video was actually directed at the thinking atheist channel for Seth's confusion about his viewerships reaction to Steve)

(Skip to 5:30 if you just want to cringe at Steve.)
[+] 2 users Like Gilgamesh's post
29-04-2016, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2016 07:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-04-2016 07:12 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 06:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Let me ask ManlyGirl. "Do you want me to kick you in the nuts fatboy?"

Sounds to me like Steve Shive's relationship with his wife lol.

Just because ManlyGirl can kick my ass don't mean I can't kick yours, boy.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-04-2016, 03:33 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2016 03:45 AM by ClydeLee.)
They didn't like his Batman views that much??? wow.. that's all I've ever really recall watching of his videos.

I watched the TV show Lie to me instead of Angel or Buffy so i can read the body language better in the moment he is talking about it. he's not denying, he just knows he is withholding information of other things he knows he likes that are male related so he's withdrawing info. Smartass

I love the mastery of videos when they attempt to analyze and gain psychological information about peoples lives and actions from a few crafted interactions of a youtube channel or podcasts. It's not as if things aren't crafted by people in those formats as well. It's got that nice tomasia style of information gathering where you assume the conclusion about someone because they didn't answer you a question you never asked.. so it must fit the way you define it in a "understandable" viewed box.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
30-04-2016, 04:16 AM
(29-04-2016 06:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  They also outlawed alcohol. But that did lead us to the first sexual revolution in the form of the flapper, who wore shorter skirts, smoked and drank in speakeasys. And they cut their hair (how shocking).

Kudos to them for making the female bob cut so iconic.

[Image: Louise-Brooks-1.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
30-04-2016, 05:50 AM
(30-04-2016 04:16 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 06:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  They also outlawed alcohol. But that did lead us to the first sexual revolution in the form of the flapper, who wore shorter skirts, smoked and drank in speakeasys. And they cut their hair (how shocking).

Kudos to them for making the female bob cut so iconic.

[Image: Louise-Brooks-1.jpg]

[Image: the-legend-of-zelda-fitzgerald.jpg]

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
30-04-2016, 06:42 AM
This is one of those threads where I made it, but I have no idea what people are saying and it's too tedious to even try to follow along.

One thing that I guess "annoys" me is I have this friend, I was telling him that gender is a social construct, but he says that gender norms are just part of the natural behavior of us as a species. Then goes on to say that women are less strong than men and they think more emotionally and men think more rationally. I thought that sounded like bullshit, but he also asked me if I think a woman could possibly be a marine o_o

Okay, cool. There may be some things that women are better at than men, some things men may be better at than women, but that's not to say there's no overlap. That's not to say that gender norms should be authoritatively forced onto others who don't want them. The way I see, years of institutionalized sexism, which I'm guessing is mostly from the church and traditions of men being lower than women, has indeed lead to a society where sexism is ingrained in our culture.

If you don't think that values and traditions which are fucked up get ingrained in society, LOOK AT RELIGION. We should be living in a society where men and women embrace more androgynous roles, because I've witnessed a phobia of this sort of thing not only in other people, but in myself. I would love to dress and act more androgynous, I think it's adorable. But in the society we live in, I asked my mom if it's weird for guys to shave their legs, she said yes it's weird and not to do that.

It's fucked up, my legs are hairy and disgusting and I'd rather they be smoother. Yet I get pressured to eat like crap and taunted by my own younger brother for using coconut oil on my face to moisturize it. Sexism isn't even a gendered issue, it effects all people.
30-04-2016, 07:03 AM
(30-04-2016 06:42 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  This is one of those threads where I made it, but I have no idea what people are saying and it's too tedious to even try to follow along.

One thing that I guess "annoys" me is I have this friend, I was telling him that gender is a social construct, but he says that gender norms are just part of the natural behavior of us as a species. Then goes on to say that women are less strong than men and they think more emotionally and men think more rationally. I thought that sounded like bullshit, but he also asked me if I think a woman could possibly be a marine o_o

Okay, cool. There may be some things that women are better at than men, some things men may be better at than women, but that's not to say there's no overlap. That's not to say that gender norms should be authoritatively forced onto others who don't want them. The way I see, years of institutionalized sexism, which I'm guessing is mostly from the church and traditions of men being lower than women, has indeed lead to a society where sexism is ingrained in our culture.

If you don't think that values and traditions which are fucked up get ingrained in society, LOOK AT RELIGION. We should be living in a society where men and women embrace more androgynous roles, because I've witnessed a phobia of this sort of thing not only in other people, but in myself. I would love to dress and act more androgynous, I think it's adorable. But in the society we live in, I asked my mom if it's weird for guys to shave their legs, she said yes it's weird and not to do that.

It's fucked up, my legs are hairy and disgusting and I'd rather they be smoother. Yet I get pressured to eat like crap and taunted by my own younger brother for using coconut oil on my face to moisturize it. Sexism isn't even a gendered issue, it effects all people.

I did not read your post, so I have no idea what you are saying and you are too tedious to even try to follow along. Drinking Beverage

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post