Do you like good music

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2017, 01:56 AM
Do you like good music
OK I am an old white male. But the favorite music of my youth was mostly done by non whites. Yes Carol King and the Brill building hold a place in my heart.

But Arther Conley and "Sweet Soul Music" and multiple others had a very profound effect on my understanding of the world. I ask you to listen to Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Going to Come" and not come to conclusions that we must change how we deal with the world and our fellow humans.

Or listen to the various versions of "Land of a Thousand Dances" first done by "Cannibal and the Headhunters" from east LA.

We are blessed (sorry) with great music from our suppressed populations in the US. There can be an argument made that that suppression led to the great music. That argument must be not accepted.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2017, 02:13 AM
RE: Do you like good music
OK I was wrong in my first post Chris Kenner was the first to put out a record of "Land of a 1000 Dances". I think I prefer the Cannibal and the Headhunters version but that does not excuse the mistake.
15-10-2017, 06:36 AM
(15-10-2017 01:56 AM)JAH Wrote:  That argument must be not accepted.

I like the logic there. Well done.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-10-2017, 08:47 AM
No, I like terrible music.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 5 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
16-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Just about everyone likes good music -- but there is much disagreement on which music is good! I like the same kind of stuff described in the OP, but also lots of other stuff. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Brad Mehldau (jazz piano). Before that I was listening to a lot of Neil Young. I also like classical (in the broad sense) music -- I'll be going to two symphony concerts next year (music of Beethoven and Mahler). I think Frank Sinatra was a great singer, but so were Billie Holiday and John Lennon and Prince, and so is Patty Loveless. I'm a guitarist myself (although not a good one), so I also like guitar players from all styles: Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix (rock), Buddy Guy (blues), Andres Segovia (classical), Wes Montgomery and Jim Hall and Bill Frisell and many others (jazz). There's more good music than I'll ever have time to listen to.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
16-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Yep, my liking it is what makes me call it good. Wink

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
16-10-2017, 05:41 PM
African Americans have famously created influential music for many generations, since well before rock and roll, though that too. I do think that oppression is part of it, but as many probably know it is also the history of African American artists blending variant musical styles: African, European, Caribbean, as well as musical forms from the different regions within the U.S. Furthermore, many big Caribbean music crazes were started by Afro-Caribbean artists, and were often greeted with suspicion until embraced by white communities. That history is clear enough, one can find a lot of information about it on the Internet or in music literature.
Personally, I like many different kinds of music, but to me there is Mozart and then there is everything else.

O, mia patria, sì bella e perduta
16-10-2017, 11:17 PM
My youngest child whose depth and breadth of music knowledge far surpasses mine accuses me of being somewhat prosaic. I may be locked into my youth and am radio. Not that I do not love everything I ever head by Billy Holiday. Or that there are not a whole bunch of C and W songs that I like. I even have enjoyed myself at the opera (although if they cannot carry the house without amplification they should quit).

But please I will go to my grave with a lot more soul 45's then anything else.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
17-10-2017, 07:29 AM
It just now dawned on me that the thread title is a quotation from the lyric of the song "Sweet Soul Music":

Do you like good music
That sweet soul music
Just as long as it's swingin'
Oh yeah, oh yeah

So maybe this is supposed to be a thread about soul music? In that vein, I grew up in the 1960s and heard a lot of great soul music (including the song referenced above). Sam Cooke and the Drifters were slightly before my time (and, for whatever reason, James Brown didn't get much airplay on the stations I listened to), but I do have fond memories of Smokey Robinson, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, Isaac Hayes, and The 5th Dimension -- and probably a few others that are slipping my mind at the moment. Lots of great music from those folks. Stevie Wonder was probably my favorite of that bunch -- especially his later music (early-to-mid 1970s). And Marvin Gaye's What's Goin' On might be the greatest soul album ever.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
17-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Music like food is a point of view and taste and generational issue. The topic of this thread is highly subjective.

I LOVE ABBA, and Metallica and Manhattan Transfer, REO Speedwagon, Paula Abdul, Beethoven's 5th, Weird Al, Carpenters, Megadeth, Ramones, Living Colour.......

The only music I never really got into was country. But I like bits of just about everything I even have one favorite country song. Margo Price, "About To Find Out".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user