Do you listen to any religious music?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2014, 09:57 AM
I found my old Delirious? CD I used to listen to when I was younger and gave it a quick play. They are a Christian band and sing about Jesus etc. I still like alot of the songs, it made me feel good when I listened to it... Do any of you have any secret religious bands you like to listen to?

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2014, 10:09 AM
RE: Do you listen to any religious music?
Not secretly.

I sing in a gospel choir and am openly agnostic to them. I haven't added that I'm an agnostic atheist as that may be a bit far for a couple of them, but the MD and my sectional leader know what my true position is.

Also sing at a local shapenote group.

This is all in the UK where religious music is often sung without the message necessarily attached. Were I in the bible-belt I'm sure my approach would be different.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
22-07-2014, 10:40 AM
If I like the song I like the song. Religious or not. I can't think of anything I super love right off the top of my head however.
22-07-2014, 12:14 PM
I don't listen to "Christian rock" or anything like that, but I do sometimes listen to Gregorian chant, and I often listen to classical music, much of which is religious -- all of Bach's vocal music, the Masses of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, etc. The religious music of these composers is, in general, as good as their secular music, which is very good indeed.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
22-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Well I am a big fan of classical music and a great percent of that is religious. Franz Schubert's Ave Maria is a favorite of mine I may add, nothing gets more religious than a Hail Mary.
I also like listening to a hafiz recite the Qur'an. It is very similar to music just minus the instruments.

Crazy you say?
Wouldn't a crazy man ask another man if he was crazy?! Hobo
22-07-2014, 01:30 PM
If I listen to any religious music it would be inadvertently. I know White Stripes were once described (of perhaps described themselves) as Christian. The Features have a couple songs that have made wonder. Heck even Love and Rockets sure sound that way to me today (why didn't it before?).

I also listen to some music that features singing in other languages and couldn't say whether it's religious of not. I suspect some of it may be. One song in particular I know features "Adonai elohenu" among the lyrics, but other songs by the same artist (Balkan Beat Box) sound very secular. I also listen to the works of the late DJ Cheb i Sabbah and a lot of his earlier and later works do sound like Hindu music (for example "Durga Puja"?).

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
28-08-2014, 09:37 PM
I always liked 'Spirit in the Sky' by Norman Greenbaum. Ironically, it's a christian song and the artist is Jewish.

Here's a clicky for convenience... if you care to see which song I'm talking about. You've definitely heard it before, it was in many movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXrEPNvRO8

JhaeL - This Atheist (Original Atheism Rap)
[+] 2 users Like JhaeL's post
29-08-2014, 08:05 AM
I listen to a lot of Country music which is not explicitly christian music but there is a lot of god and jesus in it. I find it annoying most of the time.
29-08-2014, 09:23 AM
(28-08-2014 09:37 PM)JhaeL Wrote:  I always liked 'Spirit in the Sky' by Norman Greenbaum. Ironically, it's a christian song and the artist is Jewish.

Here's a clicky for convenience... if you care to see which song I'm talking about. You've definitely heard it before, it was in many movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXrEPNvRO8

Yes, I remember that song from "back in the day" -- late 60s, early 70s, somewhere in there. It was a good song. Nice fuzz guitar riff.
04-09-2014, 06:25 AM
I did for a while. I played bass in a church choir. I was doing that at the end of my de-conversion process and afterwards for a few years. It was a good group of musicians and staying in the group kept my actions from causing issues for my wife. I actually enjoyed playing the music. The choir director kept it interesting and challenging. I cut my involvement with church groups when we moved 2.5 years ago.

My wife is still religious and she enjoys some of the modern religious music. I am more likely to ask her to change the station if country music is on. Actually I only ask her to change the station if country music is on.