Do you listen to any religious music?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2014, 07:00 AM
RE: Do you listen to any religious music?
I think any type of music you must be willing to admit that a beat our sound can be pleasing. I cannot however listen to religious music because the lyrics sell magic and superstition. It is not the same as listening to the soundtrack of Harry Potter which people accept as fantasy. That is just me. I do know atheists who can handle it and like it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 09:09 AM
I used to like casting crowns and some others. But, now? Those songs lack any relevant meaning to me anymore.

I like all genres, but if you're not a believer anymore, that music is hard to take.

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
04-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Much of the Classical music I love was written for the church.

I love Gospel music. So, yes, I guess I do.Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
04-09-2014, 09:13 AM
(04-09-2014 09:09 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I used to like casting crowns and some others. But, now? Those songs lack any relevant meaning to me anymore.

I like all genres, but if you're not a believer anymore, that music is hard to take.

Interesting - it's never bothered me, but maybe that's because I think of any message as a meaningless statement from a deity point of view...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
04-09-2014, 09:50 AM
(04-09-2014 09:13 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 09:09 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I used to like casting crowns and some others. But, now? Those songs lack any relevant meaning to me anymore.

Interesting - it's never bothered me, but maybe that's because I think of any message as a meaningless statement from a deity point of view...

While it's been some time since I've "deconverted"...I sometimes feel triggered by some things, and it triggers some of my regret over staying lost in religion for so long. If that makes sense. Undecided

04-09-2014, 09:54 AM
(04-09-2014 09:12 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Much of the Classical music I love was written for the church.

I love Gospel music. So, yes, I guess I do.Drinking Beverage

I play piano and Bach is one of my favorites. True, what you say here.

04-09-2014, 09:55 AM
(04-09-2014 09:50 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 09:13 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Interesting - it's never bothered me, but maybe that's because I think of any message as a meaningless statement from a deity point of view...

While it's been some time since I've "deconverted"...I sometimes feel triggered by some things, and it triggers some of my regret over staying lost in religion for so long. If that makes sense. Undecided

Perfect sense - I myself have been raised by agnostic (probably atheist) parents so clearly it's not going to have the same connotations for me.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
04-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Do you listen to any religious music?
My mother (who brought me up on her own) was a member of the church music group since her father was the choir director and mother played organ/piano for the same church. They even worked together on a record that was published. Her brothers all played instruments as well. Very musical family.

I sang in my church choir as a teen. And then I fell in with the wrong (right?) crowd and was exposed to the devil's music (punk/goth/psychobilly). Since then I have not looked back. The sort of music young Christians sing today sounds so hokey to me now. Even modern Christian music feels odd to me now. Like something struggling to remain relevant to the modern world.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
04-09-2014, 01:59 PM
I still listen to artists like Superchick, Switchfoot,Thousand Foot Krutch, Skillet, John Reuben, Britt Nicole, etc.
04-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Only religious song I knowingly listened to was Civilization's "Baba Yetu".

I don't think I listened to any christian bands.....Consider