Do you listen to any religious music?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2014, 03:25 PM
RE: Do you listen to any religious music?
(22-07-2014 12:14 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I don't listen to "Christian rock" or anything like that, but I do sometimes listen to Gregorian chant, and I often listen to classical music, much of which is religious -- all of Bach's vocal music, the Masses of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, etc. The religious music of these composers is, in general, as good as their secular music, which is very good indeed.
I couldn't agree more. Thumbsup

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Do you listen to any religious music?
I did enjoy a fine recording of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor played on a massive and ancient pipe organ. Great for Halloween too!

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
15-09-2014, 04:41 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2014 04:49 AM by ZeroX3.)
Usually from games. But it might be more anti-religious than religious

15-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Between three community bands and season tickets to the local symphony and having the classical station programmed into the car radio, something religious invariably pops up here and there. We're gearing up for Remembrance Day and Christmas performances now, so I have bits and pieces of various hymns and carols stuck in My head.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-10-2014, 03:43 AM
I've been on a 50's and 60's soul/R&B/blues music kick lately. (Now that I think about it, kind of hard to keep calling it a "kick" if it's been going on for years). There's quite a lot of christian messages there, but that doesn't bother me, mainly because that genre just feels more iconically American than anything else.

Christian rock, on the other hand, could all be thrown in the garbage and we'd probably be better off. Thumbsup
31-10-2014, 01:03 PM
I love my New Age/Buddhist/Hindu music. It's alike an audio bong hit.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
31-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Might be an odd thing for an atheist but I absulutely love christmas music, Silent Night, Noel, What Child is This (or just Greensleeves) have been some of my favorite songs as long as I can remember, despite having distincly religious lyrics, the songs are beautiful. I do appreciate more "secular" Xmas songs, such as White Christmas, Silver Bells, Most Wonderful Time of the Year, etc, because all of those songs celebrate family and friends. Come to think of it... I still just love Christmas, even as an atheist, for me it's all about the love, cold weather, snow, decorations, cheer, and sharing gifts. It's a very secular holiday for me haha. Blush

I also do rather like country music, but could do without the references to God, and I'll outright avoid country that's too religious. I prefer the topics stay on drinking, BBQs and breakups, but the occasional mention of God doesn't bother me. In the same vein, religious classical music can be great too, if it's good, I'll listen, regardless of lyrical content or intent.

I HATE gospel though... repulsive to me. No

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
11-11-2014, 03:13 PM
I still listen to Stryper. Does that make me a bad person?

[Image: stryper.jpg]

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Actualy nope.

Not even classical.

I find Schuberts Ave maria somewhat nausiating, but I generly really dont like Schubert, except the Erl König.

Händels Haleluia is also nausiating.

Maybe mozarts requiem, but thats about it.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
11-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Does this count?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP